Every comic you've read in 2016

Missy

Not at the time, but I just reread the scene and, yeah, now I can't not hear it. :lol:

Something interesting about this issue: Miles is never without his mask, yet his personal life and ethnic background are major parts of the story. With or without the mask, he's Miles and Spider-Man. Yet even with his mask on, the world knows this Spider-Man is a "kid of color" — using Luke Cage's words. As Cage also puts it, it's important. For better and worse, people are going to judge Miles for being a Spider-Man, but because the world knows his skin color, he's going to be judged on that too. It's something Peter doesn't have to think about, but will be there for Miles.

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been an interesting ride with this current volume of Miles' adventures, going back to issue #2 when Bendis had him balk at being known as "the black Spider-Man" and black online fandom got really pissed off reading that. I don't know of any other young black hero in the Marvel U, so I liked how Cage said to Miles that his public blackness was important. I'm dying to see where this goes.

All-New X-Men #12: ahhh....yes, Apocalypse Wars is over and this can go back to being a good book again.

All-Star Batman #1: liking the backup a lot more than the main story so far.

Alters #1: obnoxious and condescending and fake. So dumb. What a waste of a decent idea.

American Mythology 0 Werewolves vs. Dinosaurs #1: yeah, ,exactly the title. I liked it though. Reminded me of Radical Comics from a decade ago.

Archie #11: kind of a miserable issue really.

Comics: 901
Trades: 40

Graphic Novels: 33

Omnibuses: 11

Detective Comics #940: Damn fine work. I knew all about the swerve ending, yet I was still greatly moved by the book.

Superwoman #1-2: Lots of story packed into these issues, and they look great. Some scenes jump from one to another with little to no transitions, but the book is still easy enough to follow thanks to Phil Jimenez.

Comics: 410

Army of Darkness Election Special: Ash runs for president (for a reason I can't remember) and goes up against a Bernie Sanders and a Republican Hillary Clinton, everybody becomes Deadites and Ash becomes President after killing the other candidates. So...pretty good?

Batman #5, 6: Hmmm...not sure how I feel about this. Not as good as the first issues. 

All-Star Batman #2: still not good. Backup isn't as good as it was last time. I think I'm out.

Black Hammer #2: Interesting slow burn they're going for here. I enjoy it. It's exactly along the lines of stuff I write and I like it, so I consider that really good, even if I don't love it.

Black Eyed Kids #5: solid issue.

Comics: 907

The Kitchen - A crime boss story that I enjoyed for the most part.  I had a bit of trouble remembering some characters as they were not really used great, but I got enough that it didn't bug me too much.

Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #38 - Continuing reading things the random books I randomly buy.  I know that I read this within the last two years, as I read all of Vol. 2. thru to 700.  I did not remember this at all.  Aunt May tells Peter she knows and they talk about it.  Felt a little lacking.  Reminded me of the much better..

Ultimate Spider-Man #13 - which I dug out and read.  Peter tells Mary Jane.  Simple.  This feels real and might be my favorite single issue of the series.

Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #39 - A silent issue with no dialogue.  A three minute look (because I can't say read).  I felt ripped off and I didn't pay the $2.25 cover price.  Silent issues can work if the art is up for it.  And this was not.

Comics: 199 (17)
Graphic Novels: 7
Trade Paperbacks: 12 (70)

Ultimate Spider-Man #13 - which I dug out and read.  Peter tells Mary Jane.  Simple.  This feels real and might be my favorite single issue of the series.

Coincidentally, I just reread this, too. It holds up so well, and absolutely changed the way I look at secret identities, the secrets heroes keep, and the lies they're willing to tell to their closest friends. When you think about, though heroes are out there doing great and wonderful things, they're always hurting loved ones with their half-truths and outright lies. Bendis reshaped how it should be done with this one issue.

Comics: 411

All-New, All-Different Avengers #1-14: This feels like classic (pre-Bendis) Avengers. Not to knock Benids' run -- it changed The Avengers, Marvel, and comics in amazing ways -- but during the run I sometimes wished for something a little brighter, a little less bleak, a little more classic. This is it. Mark Waid is building towards a larger story with Kang, yet each arc feels complete. From the first issue to the most recent, the team has built as a unit. They're not fully there yet, but, knowing Waid's other works and seeing what he's accomplished thus far, they get there soon.

Rotating art teams is a nice touch, as well. It gives each artist a chance to breath between stories, limiting the need for fill-in teams and giving the series a consistent voice. Though I prefer Mahmud Asrar lighter, more youthful illustrations (they breathe more life into the younger Avengers), Adam Kubert adds raw power to the battles with his use of extra lines (as well as aged experience to the veteran Avengers). Asrar's style here seemingly draws inspiration from Stuart Immonen, but it comes into its own as the series progresses. Kubert, too, whose initial issues were not his strongest, grows into the series and characters -- especially in issue #13.

It looks like issue #15 will be the last, at which point the books will split off into Champions and The Avengers, with both being written by Waid.

Comics: 425

The Fix 5: Still fun, but man, can't help but wonder if the whole millennials rant wasn't written around the time Cap 1 came out. 

Doom Patrol 1: Yup, that was a Gerard Way comic alright. First introduction to Doom Patrol, so I have no idea what's going on here, and I'm okay with that. Will probably pick up the first trade, but don't feel a strong compulsion to follow it monthly.

Black Monday Murders 2: Continues to deepen the mysteries of what's going on, and world build more as to the general world. Also some random lesbian sex foreshadowing. Will probably pick this up on the trade as well. 

Black Panther vol 1: The good news: Coates is definitely writing for the long term arc, like a season of a tv show. The bad news is that I'm probably going to need to wait for it to be fully collected (i.e., first twelve issues all in one volume) before I say whether or not I'm here for it. Coates is clearly getting his feet under him this volume as to how to story tell in this format, making Panther mostly accessible to those coming in blind, while also throwing political theory re: Wakanda at us. Stelfreeze and Martin are amazing; I know that Sprouse is on this next arc, but don't know if it's for the long term. The trade is also hella padded with variant covers and the first appearance of Panther, which didn't help much for my feeling a bit "I can wait for the inevitable huge collection". Worth a peek to see what he's up to.

Single Issues: 298
TPBs/Collections: 95
Digital First Issues: 11
Edited by Venneh

Alias Ultimate Collection Volumes 1&2 - While Bendis seems to delight in breaking every taboo (e.g. swearing, sex, there was an accusation of incest in the second arc) in a distracting way, I did enjoy this. Jessica has a pretty well-defined character, and the plots provided an interesting look into the day-to-day lives of people in the Marvel Universe. I dug the artwork, despite the repeated panel shortcut getting a bit out-of-hand (I do understand that deadlines can be tough). Great coloring by Hollingsworth too.

A-Force #8 - Any book that still manages to tell its own story despite being a tie-in is okay to me. I liked the little character touches with Nico and the guest characters. Really dug the art too, I've always been a fan of Paolo Siqueira.

Spider-Woman #10 - Same here. I enjoyed this despite the Civil War II aspects. Art wasn't quite as impressive, with Veronica Fish doing the finishes, but it's still good.

Star Wars #22 - Fun space battle. Not much to it yet. 

Darth Vader #24 - Not sure if it needed to be extra-length, but I enjoyed the inner struggle of Vader. The finale should be good.

Han Solo #3 - Kinda ehh.  Art's still great though.

Blood & Dust #2: shaping up into a nice little horror comic.

Bloodshot Reborn #16: still solid.

Blue Beetle Rebirth #1: ehhh...Not sure I like this.

Captain America Sam Wilson #12: Pretty good. Tired of all the political over-the-top stuff. We get it, there needs to be a plot.

Captain America Steve Rogers #4: I can't imagine being offended at a story with Cap as a Hydra Agent...but I'm super fucking offended at how boring this shit is.

Carnage #11: I'm back in.

Civil War X-Men #3: Liking the story, but the art looks like fan tryout time.

Comics: 914

Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #38 - Continuing reading things the random books I randomly buy.  I know that I read this within the last two years, as I read all of Vol. 2. thru to 700.  I did not remember this at all.  Aunt May tells Peter she knows and they talk about it.  Felt a little lacking.  Reminded me of the much better..

Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #39 - A silent issue with no dialogue.  A three minute look (because I can't say read).  I felt ripped off and I didn't pay the $2.25 cover price.  Silent issues can work if the art is up for it.  And this was not.

Comics: 199 (17)
Graphic Novels: 7
Trade Paperbacks: 12 (70)

OUCH! MY PRIDE! JMS/JRjr is my favorite Spider-Man run

Clean Room #11: ok. THAT happened.

Conan The Slayer #2: I REALLY wanted to like this, but this and the first issue are the two most boring single issues of Conan comics ever made.

Croak #1: a decent little first issue of a horror comic. I'll read another.

Cryptocracy #3: solid.

Cyborg Rebirth #1: snoozeworthy. I may try the first issue of the regular series as these Rebirth issues are really just zero issues.

Deathstroke Rebirth #1: this was solid. I'll check more out for sure.

Comics: 920

Demonic #1: I'm in for a few more.

Detective Comics #938-940: what a great fucking arc. The best of Rebirth thus far, I think. 940 is again, one of the single best issues I've read of a Batman comic in the past 20 years. James Tynion IV is quickly becoming definitive on Batman for me.

E.V.I.L. Heroes #1: This is literally the plot of a novel I've plotted. A little different, so not bad enough to change it up, but interesting to see it played out without subtlety ina  Zenescope book.

Eclipse #1: INteresting dystopian thing.

Eden's Fall #1: A crossover between Postal, The Tithe and Think Tank, which is crazy. I loved it though. Easy to pick up for people who might only read one of the books. Maybe not so much for brand new readers.

Comics: 927

Batman #7 (2016): Total meh. Tom King's style of writing is to have Batman say things that explain his character in the most direct and unsubtle ways. "Nobody dies tonight" ad infinitum. Once near the end when the threat ramped up would have been more than enough. Artwork is so-so as well. It's not a bad comic but for the start of a storyline it's really nothing to get excited about.

Superman #7 (2016): A very slow paced, character based issue of the Kents going to the town fair. Nice little story made really fun by Jorge JIminez's terrific manga-ish artwork. Book is still great from issue to issue.

Equilibrium #1: this is a sequel to the underrated movie of the same name. It's kind of ehhhhhhh, but I'll give it another issue.

Everafter #1: a Fables spinoff and it's garbage. Should have known.

Future Quest #4: fuck yeah!

Generation Zero #1: also fuck yeah! Great first issue.

Comics: 931

Glitterbomb #1: I kinda loved this. Washed up, over the hill actress is also a Lovecraftian monster? The thing is dripping in symbolism and I'll be around for a few more issues.

Godzilla Oblivion #5: jesus, this is just on the wrong side of good, and I mean JUST.

Grimm #1: Never seen an episode but I figured "what the hell?" I read the catch-up page at the beginning which, I suppose, was intended to bring me up to date on the show, but I couldn't understand it a few words in. That sentiment didn't change as I read this impenetrable and nigh-unreadable comic.

Hadrian's Wall #1: Ok, I guess. I may give it one more issue.

Machine Man The Complete Collection: Hard to believe Kirby was doing this series at the same time as he was doing Devil Dinosaur. DD is a creative and artistic high point for him, maybe THE creative and artistic high point. His work on this book is boring as fuck. This is easily the worst thing he did in the 70s. The story is garbage and the artwork is heavily uninspired. I felt pretty sad reading this. Then, Ditko does the last half of the series and it doesn't get much better. I don't like Ditko. I find his work often too static and boring even though his character work can be interesting. Marv Wolfman steps up the story a little bit in these Ditko issues giving Machine Man a job at an insurance agency and hating a dumbass coworker which is about as close to relatable as MM gets. Ditko's work is no better than Kirby's here, maybe worse. Though I have to say, in an issue where Northstar, Aurora and Sasquatch guest, he draws a convincing Pierre Trudeau. Ironically, there's a couple issues of Incredible Hulk sandwiched in between Kirby and Ditko's runs (Kirby left to work on the FF cartoon and the series went into limbo for several months before Ditko picked it up) and Sal Buscema's art on those issues is the most exciting and interesting of the entire collection. That's the only time that's been said about Buscema, certainly in comparison to two (what most would consider) legends.

Milo Manara's Golden Ass: a solid erotic adaptation of a Greek parable. Manara's work is on point here and these hardcover Humanoids collections of his work is amazingly presented.

Comics: 935

Graphic Novels: 34

Omnibuses: 12

Civil War II #5: It's been better ever since the big death in issue three but this issue is stupid. Same old Marvel heroes fighting each other bullshit that they all actually decried in the tie-in materials. Marvel has officially killed the hero-fighting-hero shtick, because there's no genuine engagement in "WHO WILL WIN?!" It's just a public whine-off between Tony and Carol. And the ending where Carol arrests Miles is moronic. IDK if Bendis has a hard-on for tackling modern black issues, but in the context of the scene it's really galling on an intellectual level. I don't really care about Carol's character, but as a grown ass adult she should recognize when and when not to apprehend a juvenile, especially when he clearly hadn't done anything. I still really like this story, but between the Hulk's death and this the main series' contrivances are really killing it.

Edited by Donomark

I don't like Ditko. I find his work often too static and boring even though his character work can be interesting.

This is for dissing Stranger Things, right?

Hahahaha! Thought you'd not like that.

It's totally honest, though. If someone else drew Spider-Man, I truly believe that Ditko would be totally obscure.