Every film you've watched in 2016

Missy

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hackers: As for movies about the internet go, this is fucking ridiculous. It's also hilariously dumb on an almost constant basis. That said, it's almost an entertaining stupidity. So much bad examples of movie hacking.

Die Another Day: Not the worst Bond film but Jesus Christ if it's not ridiculous. Also, without a doubt, they were setting up a spin-off for Halle Berri which meh...

Films: 54
Rewatches: 1

Edited by dc20willsave

Spy: Action Comedy is not an easy genre to pull off. Melissa Mccarthy has just the right charisma to make it work. I will admit, if you're not a fan of her, I got nothing for you but this is an awesome movie and I hope we get a sequel. She puts in a damn fine bit of effort. She's funny but it's never not an action movie at the same time which is what makes it work so well.

Films: 55
Rewatches: 1

Spy: Action Comedy is not an easy genre to pull off. Melissa Mccarthy has just the right charisma to make it work. I will admit, if you're not a fan of her, I got nothing for you but this is an awesome movie and I hope we get a sequel. She puts in a damn fine bit of effort. She's funny but it's never not an action movie at the same time which is what makes it work so well.

Yeah, I was surprised at how great it was. Did you catch the Jason Statham thing? 

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows - Generally speaking, if you liked/disliked the first one, this will do nothing to change your opinion.  It was decent mindless entertainment for a couple hours.

- There are only two real fight scenes.  They were kinda CGI jumbles that made it hard for me to follow at times. 

- Bebop & Rocksteady.  They didn't really fight the turtles.  Yes, they had a fight in a plane, but that was more of a game of keep away than a fight.

- Krang.  Looked great but was defeated really quickly.  Technodrome looked awesome.

- I liked Shredder a lot more in this movie.  Yet, he wasn't given much to do and never had a fight.

- Tyler Perry as Baxter Stockman was really fun.

- April had really nothing to do, except you know, knockout the badass female ninja.

- Come to think of it, most of the characters did very little. 

- Casey Jones was really disappointing.  He wore the mask for what, 3 minutes?  And the Turtles have no reason to reveal themselves to Casey, let alone take him back to their lair.

- The trailers made the whole Out of the Shadows thing seem like they go public when they save the city.  Blatant misdirection.  They come out to a handful of cops. 

- I am getting a little sick of the 'we're not a team' plot.

The Wrecking Crew: Documentary about the famed studio session musicians from the 1960s who played on fucking everything. It was directed by the son of guitarist Tommy Tedesco and it's not super well directed, but the subject matter is interesting enough and the people being profiled are charismatic and have a ton of stories, so I wound up enjoying this quite a bit.

Yeah, a lot of the people interviewed had passed away nearly a decade ago or more, so it got a little choppy. But the personal stories of the musicians, along with all the behind-the-scenes stuff (there's a whole section devoted to "Phil Spector was a crazy asshole genius" and it's wild to hear how many bands never played a single note on their own albums because they just weren't nearly as good as the Crew; the Beach Boys essentially put down their instruments within a couple of years of their first album and never picked them up again) make this the story of not just these people, but of pop music in the 60s in general, and it's really worth watching despite any technical shortcomings.

Yeah, a lot of the people interviewed had passed away nearly a decade ago or more, so it got a little choppy. But the personal stories of the musicians, along with all the behind-the-scenes stuff (there's a whole section devoted to "Phil Spector was a crazy asshole genius" and it's wild to hear how many bands never played a single note on their own albums because they just weren't nearly as good as the Crew; the Beach Boys essentially put down their instruments within a couple of years of their first album and never picked them up again) make this the story of not just these people, but of pop music in the 60s in general, and it's really worth watching despite any technical shortcomings.

Yeah, for a good solid chunk of the Beach Boys career, it was Wrecking Crew playing the music that Brian Wilson wrote and then whichever of the brothers/cousins wanted to sing on the track would come in if someone remembered them to invite them.

Shorts for the fest: Prayers/Pig Man/Nympho's Diary/Disappearance/Wake Up

Features: 95

Shorts: 48

Documentaries: 7

The Apocalypse: Watched it three times. Don't ask why I did it two more times than necessary.

The Death of Superman Lives: As far as documentaries go, it was pretty okay. Not the best but ehh, what you gonna do? Especially doesn't help that a lot of the times, no one is being totally straight forward.

Mad Max: Fury Road: One of the best Sci-fi films of the last ever. Well acted, rarely ham-fisted with it's message, and just one of the best movies to ever get saved from development hell.

The Naked Gun: Not as good as I remember but still funny at times.

Riki-Oh: The Story of Riki: Fucknuts insane and I love every moment of it.

Films: 59
Documentaries: 1
Rewatches: 3

The King of Fighters: I'm thoroughly not sure what was totally going on. Bluetooth headsets cause you to fight people in another dimension except when you're forced into the other dimension? What was the villain trying to do? What?

American Ultra: One of those movies that you can watch, it's alright, and then you forget you ever watched it like an hour later. Seriously, I knew I watched two movies on Saturday and I couldn't remember the other. As bad as The King of Fighters are, at least it left an impression. AU mainly left no impression.

Films: 61
Documentaries: 1
Rewatches: 3

Jaws: family movie night. Megan had never seen it and freaked the fuck out at all the right places. Fun to watch a movie with someone who screams sometimes. Also, one of the few perfect films.

The Longest night of My Life/Ghost of 25th Street/Mind Game Demon: shorts for the festival

Features: 99

Shorts: 51

Documentaries: 7