Every film you've watched in 2016

Missy

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apocalypse Soon: The Making of Citizen Toxie-at 2 hours and 15 minutes, it's about a half hour longer than pretty much every other Troma film. It's a little harrowing, but a beautiful document of how fucking difficult it is to make an independent film.

Features: 44

Shorts: 19

Documentaries: 4

Deadpool: it was...ok. There were several great moments but most of them were in the trailer. The best things about this were: 1) Fucking Colossus. Holy shit. How did they get Colossus so right? 2) Negasonic Teenage Warhead, though she had far too little screentime, was also great. That New Mutant costume is great. 3) I went to high school with the guy who has the apartment the pizza guy comes to at the beginning. On the other hand: it was nowhere near as funny or violent as I expected. The R Rating is almost completely from curse words which amounts to cheap comedy. The first 25 minutes are a real slog. When you're building a film through two different timelines and one of them is exciting, it's best if the exciting part wasn't almost entirely shown in the trailer. Also, how did Ajax know he cut off his hand? He wasn't there! All that said, I would really look forward to a sequel or an X-Force film based on the fact that the ridiculously stupid and run of the mill love story is taken care of. I give it a 3/5.

Features: 45

Shorts: 19

Documentaries: 4

Darting my eyes quickly downwards from the above post, as I am finally going to see Deadpool tomorrow. But to get in the mood, I'm going to spend the rest of the evening watching X-Men Origins: Wolverine for research purposes. And because I hate myself. 

Play Misty For Me - Clint Eastwood's directorial debut, which hasn't aged well. It's a trip seeing a young Jessica Walter, and Eastwood's bewildered reactions to her increasingly unhinged behavior are his best acting contribution.  

The Punisher 1989 - Already talked about this in another thread.

Meek's Cutoff - A group of settlers are making a dangerous trek across the desert in 1845, with a guide that's clearly done much less than he brags about. It reminded me of the other Kelly Reichardt film I've seen, Night Moves, in how meticulous the filmmaking is. Rather than the typical adventure, the narrative is about how dull and arduous those journeys probably actually were. Long takes, along with slow dissolves and pans, further emphasize this. Through the attention paid to framing and blocking, the film also communicates the social divide of the era between men and women. If story is what's most important to you, this won't be your kind of movie, but on a pure filmmaking level, it's fascinating. 

Trainwreck - The humor in this really worked for me, especially how Apatow uses John Cena and LeBron James. Storywise, it's much less successful. It starts off like it's going to flip rom-com cliches on their heads, but ends up in the same place they always do, with the addition of betraying its own premise. Amy Schumer is much more of a comedian than an actress, but Brie Larson provides a support in that area. You completely forget Tilda Swinton is who she is until you see her credit, she's uncanny as always. A couple scenes where Apatow just let the camera run are DOA, leaving you to sit through a bunch of tedious jokes.   

Crimson Peak - My favorite del Toro since Pan's Labyrinth, although I'm lukewarm on it. It really speaks to how little people pay attention to movies that Mia Wasikowska says "the ghosts are just a metaphor" at the beginning and so many people complained that it wasn't enough of a horror movie. Ironically, the biggest problem with it is that so much of what it does is "just enough," with just enough mystery and romance before it plays its hand. It looks as beautiful as del Toro's movies usually do, the decaying mansion and costumes especially. Its greatest strength is Jessica Chastain, who dominates on the acting front. She's always strong, but this is the most I've seen her become a character. She's also the most successful at achieving what del Toro wanted to accomplish. There are other bits, like the iris-ins and the scene lit like a Mario Bava movie, that hit what I love dead center. 

Films: 60

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir - Romance between a widow and the ghost of sea captain that haunts the cottage she just bought. Gene Tierney is an underrated actress of the '40s, and you can't help joining in whenever Rex Harrison laughs. The story hits the right notes, and the actors are great enough to sell them, that you get caught up in their growing attraction to each other.  

A Letter to Three Wives - Three wives (spoiler) receive a letter while on a day trip from a mutual female friend, who tells them that she's run off with one of their husbands. The bulk of the film is devoted to individual flashbacks from their marriages, with the friend figuring into each one. Each flashback is a different point and situation in a marriage, fleshing out the wives and keeping the theme of marriage fresh. Linda Darnell is the standout as the most free-spirited one, her personality bursting from the screen. Kirk Douglas appears with his charm in an early role, a rant about radio pointing toward how great he would be.  

Films: 62

Spotlight - Found it playing at a little local screen 10 minutes from the start time. Walked in, paid, sat down in a nice comfy armchair and watched.

Wow. I didn't even notice the time passing and at no point did I even get slightly fidgety, as I have for several action movies recently. Everyone brought their 'A' game, most especially Mark Ruffalo. I recommend this film wholeheartedly.