Help influence Episode 30!

slothian

Yes, you can help influence not only the film Pandy & I use as the joint review, but the homework we assign each other to plot the range of their career. As announced in Episode 28, our subject will be Michael Caine.

Pandy & I will take an executive decision on what makes the joint review on Saturday 21st May,  so get your ideas in before then!

NB) We will not be covering Caine's collaborations with Christopher Nolan.

For recent stuff, maybe

Children of Men

or

Goldmember

. Certain podcasters may criticize Ben Kingsley for joining projects that are beneath him, but Michael Caine isn't immune to this impulse either.

As much as I love Children of Men, Caine isn't in it all that much. I won't rule it out, but given the vast filmography we're dealing with here, it wouldn't be my top 21st century choice.

Goldmember even more so, except I don't love that movie.

The Icpress File, mainly because of all the Bond comparisons throughout which would make for a fun conversation from Ian, Educating Rita because Caine has spoken highly of it in the past, and The Quiet American just for it being a leading role he has had more recently that's not being a butler or senile.

For recent stuff, maybe

Children of Men

or

Goldmember

. Certain podcasters may criticize Ben Kingsley for joining projects that are beneath him, but Michael Caine isn't immune to this impulse either.

As much as I love Children of Men, Caine isn't in it all that much. I won't rule it out, but given the vast filmography we're dealing with here, it wouldn't be my top 21st century choice.

Goldmember even more so, except I don't love that movie.

Fair enough. Then I'll second The Man Who Would Be King, Quiet American, and Muppet Christmas Carol (unless it's being reserved for the next Christmas special).

Edited by You Know Who

Sleuth.

Which one?

The original, with Laurence Olivier.

I would second Jaws 4, in all seriousness. Caine went through a long period of almost literally never turning down a role, and this was the epitome of that.

Get Carter. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Muppet Christmas Carol. Alfie. (Man, he's made a lot of crap, but he's made some really good films as well.)

Ooh, yeah Muppet Christmas Carol. Considering your opening you owe it to them. Heck, it's almost time to do that Kermit episode.

Jaws 4 is more tirades territory, it's not really a fair evaluation of his talents and not worth discussing outside of the fact he did it to buy a holiday home.

I'd throw in your Ipcress Files, Get Carters and The Man who would be Kings as the other options. Although obviously Italian Job is probably an auto-pick.

My challenge to the both of you- No impressions. The whole episode. No catchphrases, nothing. It's never been done when discussing Michael Caine.