Every comic you've read in 2017

Missy

Love is Love: Got this anthology as a gift for someone I'm in a gift exchange for, and decided to read it before I send it off. Kind of equally split between some heart wrenching stories, well written one pagers by lgbtq creators, and some stuff that kind of feels like ally posturing because they knew it would be good optics, but still overall a good read. 

Single Issues: 16
Trades/Graphic Novels: 17
Omnibuses: 1

Edited by Venneh

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Justice League / Power Rangers #2: So much fun!

Justice League of America: Rebirth: Okay issue, but it doesn't inspire me to read the series. Also, if Batman is looking for an all-human, all-mortal team, what's with Lobo?

Comics: 10

Justice League of America: Rebirth: Okay issue, but it doesn't inspire me to read the series. Also, if Batman is looking for an all-human, all-mortal team, what's with Lobo?

I haven't read it and won't be able to for a little while, but Batman wanting ANYTHING to do with an unrepentant genocidal maniac is a little weird, right?

Very much so, but Batman's whole thing right now is making sure people get second chances. Maybe he's doing that with Lobo, too? I'm thinking, unlike how he's actively attempting to mold Clayface into a force for good, he's simply using Lobo as a blunt instrument.

I miss the days when Denny O'Neil's draconian editorial mandates would prevent gimmicky crap like that.

Detective Comics #950: I wish I liked this more. It's a Cassandra story at the forefront, and I recognize and appreciate what Tynion is trying to do. But this is so fucking maudlin to the point of being flat out emo. She basically runs around Gotham watching people and feeling "FOREVER ALONE". It's a real cynical misread of the character. Sure, there's definitely an aspect to the character that's different than everybody else and she's insecure about it. But Tynion's obsessed with the sad puppy-eyed take on it rather than making Cass the fleshed out character that she was. Also, on a prose level it's really not very good. I still like this title, like that Azreal's back and the Bat-Family is concentrated on. But this ticked me off.

Huck #1-6: Great series that naturally goes from a small Midwest town to a global adventure. It comes together rather nicely, and leaves a lot of room for other stories to be told in this world. And Rafael Albuquerque is a genius.

Comics: 16

Saga 42: Dat end of arc gut punch tho.

No Mercy 13: Fun, happy issue. Which are three words I never thought I would use to describe this comic tbh. Best ending panel ever. 

WicDiv 26: Gut says good. I actually need to come back and read this because I got too distracted over Deadly Class feelings to properly process this. Art good. Fun reveals.

Deadly Class 26: WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FLYING SHITFUCK IS THIS BULLSHIT?!

Marcus and Maria somehow aren't dead. Issue completely threw off the momentum of what was happening and has now thrown a considerable amount of goodwill down the toilet for me. He's also going to somehow save Saya and the new kids according to solicits, assuming those aren't actively lying too (trust me, I checked them after reading this). I don't even know. I liked this series because it was still grounded in the real world (despite being assassin Hogwarts), and the good people still lost. I liked that we were focusing on a female character for once. This issue threw all that down the pipes.

@Dread, let me know when you hit this issue.

Single Issues: 20
Trades/Graphic Novels: 17

Edited by Venneh

Deadly Class 26:
Pro: Remender and Craig know how to do a fight comic. Hell yeah.
Con: A puzzling reveal that calls into question the strongest issue in the series. It's a massive ask and the team needs to work overtime to earn it. 

Wic/Div 26: Continues. Cool scenes, but this issue felt like a collection of scenes and not a full thing.

The Black Monday Murders 3: This is a Hickman comic. I'm here for this.

Some random issues of Bombshells (15-20, mostly): RENEE MONTOYA (and some other people) RENEE MONTOYA (fights Nazis) RENEE MONTOYA (does anything, really)

Two local stores had a sale. That's all that needs to be said. 

Arclight 4: Do I know what this comic was about anymore? No, not really. Do I give a shit? Not even. This is fucking gorgeous, and we'll buy it again on the trade, because it is that good. I do hope Marian continues to do comics even though she and Graham are no longer together.

Black Monday Murders 3: Is a third of this comic strategically redacted script? Yes. Do I care? Not even. This will probably read waaaaaay better on the trade, but we got a nice major twist and chilling moment towards the end of the issue, so I'll take it. More murder albino and her lesbian please.

Bombshells 15-20: Collected single issues of the digital content. One of the local stores is having its $2/1 back issue sale, so I decided to catch up (and was sure to get the stuff I knew had Renee Montoya in it, because as mentioned above, Jim is Renee Montoya trash). This feels like it was a long form tryout for Bennett to get Kate Kane as an ongoing, but is just a wonderful piece in general. Highlights of this include: -a look at the dynamics of sisters and how that plays out in a royal scale, -Mary Marvel given a Jewish twist (gasp out loud moment), -Jason showing up in Renee and Kate's story in a wonderful way, and way better content in general than you would expect from a digital first WW2 AU that started out of pinup statues. 

Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye 1: Psychedelic, Kirbian, and for $2, definitely intriguing. Nice Metal Men cameo, too. Will probably pick this up on the trade. 

Moonshine 2: Azzarello and Rizzo doing southern moonshine runners, gangsters, and werewolves. No idea what happened in issue 1, but for $1, solid. 

Shutter 7: Yup, this has definitely cemented my "we need to get more of this" position. Fun, insane, and definitely setting things up well. Also whimsically drawn and violent besides, always a good combo.

Spider-Woman 1-3: Aka the Jessica is knocked up arc. Way better than it has any right to be, especially with some neat layout/sound effect integration in issue 3. Would pick up the rest of the first arc for $1 each at least. 

Surgeon X 1: Yup, that is sure the bare bones premise of Repo the Genetic opera combined with stuff that was obviously done to get some dank grant money. Again, not anything amazing, but for a Berger return and $1 on sale, yeah, I'll go for it. 

Dept H vol 1: Fuck the fuck off with your unfairly gorgeous comics, Matt and Sharlene. There was one double page spread that was just so fucking well done and layered on so many levels that I just kind of incoherently squawked for a while. Jim is gonna add this to the pull once the current arc of Lazarus ends, and we're probably gonna check Graham tomorrow for the rest of the issues. 

Single Issues: 35
Trades/Graphic Novels: 18

Buffy: Season 10 - I thought about flipping thru the last Season 9 trade before reading but didn't.  And, surprise, I felt like the first few issues caught me up nicely.  So good job that.  My main takeaway from these six trades (could have maybe condensed down to five) was I liked the lack of a 'big bad'.  These were mostly about the characters and relationships.  They'd been going bigger and bigger, it is nice to step back and not try and top the last evil.

Angel & Faith: Season 10 - This did not do a good job of catching me up.  Felt really disjointed most of the time.  Not much to say on these sadly.

Single Issues: 0
Trades/Graphic Novels: 11 (60)

So. Uh. Local store had a $1 back issue sale today. 

Ether 1-2: Kindt gets to do a magic vs science murder mystery mini that's both darkly funny and sad at turns. Rubin (mostly known for the Battling Boy Aurora West spinoffs) does some fucking gorgeous work. 

Dept H 7: Yup, definitely going on our pull. A larger mystery besides the standing mystery starts to unfold here. Im here for this.

Jade Street Protection Services 2-4: Feels like it's trying to do too many things at once, and I honestly couldn't tell you if it delivered on what it promised back in issue one. Still a fun enough read.

Black Panther: World of Wakanda 2: Roxane and Ta-Nehisi get to write Ayo and Aneka's romance unfolding against one of the many X-Events (the one where Namor destroys Wakanda). It's fun to see this playing out against past larger events. Plus, Roxane writes a good lesbian romance it turns out. 

Detective Comics 948-949: The Batwoman Begins prelude. Not sure what I think of this so far. It feels like Tynion trying to force a thesis onto Batwoman (and a really bad misstep re: a trans character), but from this, only Bennett will be on the new ongoing, so *shrug*. Gonna wait and see and hope for the best.

Mother Panic 1: Manages to do its own unique take on the "socialite comes back to Gotham and does a vigilante" thing. It's neat to see Jody let loose, and Tommy Lee Edwards does gorgeous work. I'll pick this up on the trade I think.

Shade the Changing Girl 1: Alien does teenage girl life with just a dash of madness. Have yet to read the original Shade (have it on hand), so not sure how this relates to the original, but it's well drawn and intriguing, so it's got my attention. On the trade or for a $1 back issue sale, I think. 

Josie and the Pussycats 1-3: A fun, punny Archie spinoff that had both me and Jim laughing out loud at several points. Very well done. 

Island 10: Continuation of two series I only half remember from when I was following this regularly, but the last one (A Land Called Tarot) is one I'll be picking up in collected form; wordless, reminiscent of Miyazaki and Moebius, and just utterly gorgeous. 

Spider-Woman 4: Great culmination to the first arc, and an amazing payoff to the reasoning behind why they did what they did with Jessica. I'm definitely interested to see what they do from here (trade time!), which is not a thing I ever expected to say after my first interactions with what they were doing.

American Vampire Anthology: Snyder and his friends get to write some fun vampire short stories. Managed to get this for $1, for that price, more than worth the ride.

Shipwreck 1-2: Ellis teams with Hester for a dark dose of weirdness. Hester does amazing work, especially considering that he just had a transplant to save his eyesight.

Four Kids Walk Into A Bank 3: Shit gets even further out of control, and even funnier while we're at it. Definitely worth a read. 

All Star Batman 1: Hell of a premise, and it's honestly great to see him featuring the artists he does in the backups. Would definitely buy more of this. Especially the Tula Lotay Poison Ivy bits. 

AD: After Death Book Two: Starting to get an idea of the shape of where this is going, but this will probably come together only with the last book. We'll see. Continues to be gorgeous though, in both illustration and design.

Single Issues: 57

Edited by Venneh

Hannah and I read many of the same things. (I miss Denny O'Neil comics something fierce. Maybe it's time to revisit The Question?)

Four Kids Walk Into A Bank 3: "LBJ? Is that a Spanish blowjob?" ILU Matt Rosenberg.
New Super-Man 1-7: I like this. A maybe subversive take on the Chinese creating their own Justice League written by Eisner winning Gene Luang Yang (Avatar tie in comics, pre-Rebirth Superman), and drawn by a penciller who'se work looks to me like a Capullo understudy. A solid traditional comic.
Ether, Dept.H: MATT KINDT IS REALLY GOOD SO IS DAVID RUBÍN NEWS AT 11
Detective Comics 948, 949: Passing over a weird misstep with trans nomenclature, this just feels off. An uncanny valley version of Batwoman, perhaps. Maybe this is double shipping, maybe it's both writers needing a second pass but yeah. Sometimes you put all the ingredients together and it doesn't come out right.
Josie & The Pussycats 1-3: Ms. Bennett and Ms. Mok let their hair down. Glorious fun, and the team effortlessly nails comedy. It takes a lot of work to make something look this easy.
Moonshine 2: Azzarello & Rizzo return for a comic about foul-mouthed criminals and firearms. Steady as she goes, folks.
All-Star Batman 1: Good premise, unremarkably good execution from professionals. If you MUST buy only one Batman comic, etc etc.
Deathstroke 11: I appreciate what the team attempted here, but I think they reached for a little too much within the space of a 20 page superhero comic. Then again, bless 'em for even trying. Difficult to go wrong on a Priest script, drawn by Cowan and inked by Sienkiewicz.

Edited by jim
Deathtroke 11!

Motro #2: fun and weird. I like this a lot even though the art takes some getting used to.

Namesake #2: not as good as the first issue, but still pretty solid.

New Super-man #6: I think we're done here.

New Talent Showcase #1: awful.

Nightwing #10: I'm liking this so far.

Ninjak #21, 22: looking forward to this all coming to a head.

No Angel #1: intrigued.

Nova #1: weird, but cool.

Old Man Logan #14, 15: Logan meets S.T.A.K.E. OK.

Peepland #2: still great. 

Reborn #3: This is really goofy fun with a sentimental edge to it.

Red Hood & The Outlaws #5: still good.

Red Sonja #0: This seems like a new angle for RS. I'll check out more.

Reggie And Me #1: Archie Comics still fucking hitting it out of the park. a story about Reggie told from the perspective of his dog? Alright.

Romulus #2: this might be sliding into goofy.

Savage #1: Fucking cool. I dig it.

Seven to Eternity #3: ok, we're done here.

Shade the Changing Girl #3: I'm done with this nonsense.

Shadows on the Grave #1: I think I'll grab this if it comes out in an affordable hardcover which Dark Horse seems to be doing. 

Spook House #2: I get it. I guess I just don't think Eric Powell is any good.

Suicide Squad #7,8: Fucking hell, this is good.

Comics: 166
Trades: 6

Graphic Novels: 6

Omnibuses: 2

Hannah and I read many of the same things. (I miss Denny O'Neil comics something fierce. Maybe it's time to revisit The Question?)

Deathstroke 11: I appreciate what the team attempted here, but I think they reached for a little too much within the space of a 20 page superhero comic. Then again, bless 'em for even trying. Difficult to go wrong on a Priest script, drawn by Cowan and inked by Sienkiewicz.

It's always time to read Denny/Denys Question. 

Always. 

Spider-Man: The Clone Conspiracy #5: SUCKED.

Sam Wilson: Captain America #19: This comic stays solid.

Spider-Man #13 (2016): Decent, but I was hoping for more forward progression.

All-Star Batman #5: I didn't dislike this story as much as Mike and some others did, but it certainly wasn't perfect. Romita Jr.'s artwork has been way past his prime ever since...I'd say ever since his Hulk run in the late 2000s. His collaboration with Dean White and Klaus Janson continues to bring his pencils down, to the point where it doesn't look like his style anymore. Batman's drawn way too thick, his costume looks cumbersome and bulky, and no one seems to correct him on how to draw the scalloped cape. Story-wise I thought it was alright, but Snyder has a tendency to make these sweeping gigantic add-ons to characters. Like Alfred made a deal with somebody back when Batman first fought the Joker, s'like, why do we need this? Still, it was okay. Not excellent but enjoyable enough. He brought the KGBeast back in style.

Edited by Donomark

All-Star Batman #6: Not bad. Good to see Jock do Batman art again. One thing of note is that the Mr. Freeze depicted in this issue is the classic post-B:TAS version, as opposed to the new 52 one who was crazy and Nora didn't technically exist. This is a straight back-to-basics portrayal with no questions asked, and it's interesting to see.

All-Star Batman #7: Again, decent. A fairly typical Poison Ivy story, but her characterization was on point.

Deathstroke 11: Forgot I read this. The team is amazing, and for trying to tackle Chicago gun violence in the space of a 20 page comic, they don't do a half bad job. 

New Superman 1-7: Fun take on the traditional superhero riffs (feels like an asshole Peter Parker combined with the idea that your dad is working for the secret agency you're fighting against, can't think of the name), and some good references to classic Superman and Batman. First arc sets up some interesting stuff for the future. For $1 each, again, a thing Id read again. 

Single Issues: 65

Edited by Venneh

Batwoman: Rebirth: Epting redraws the salient bits of Batwoman Elegy and gets to do some light riffs on JH Williams III. There's about nine (generously) pages of actual new content here, but they appear to be setting up some neat stuff (including a return from Renee Montoya, whut). Bennett and Epting have my attention. Let's see if they can stick the landing.

The Wild Storm 1: Yup, that is definitely some Warren Ellis-ass set up and work. Davis-Hunt does amazing stuff with an issue that's panels that are all multiples of three to a page. Probably gonna follow this on the trade, or for $1 sales.

Single Issues: 67

Edited by Venneh

WildCATs / X-Men: The Golden Age, The Silver Age, The Modern Age, and The Dark Age: Went in with very fond memories (mostly for the Travis Charest artwork in The Golden Age), but I wasn't expecting it to hold up. But you know what? This was kinda fun. The way it all tied together was pretty seamless, too, with the characters meeting throughout the, well, ages. The ending is a little confusing (I think the final page is mistakenly without dialogue) and The Silver Age issue is skippable, but I would recommend grabbing these four if you can find them in back issue bins.

Super Sons #1: SO. MUCH. FUN! And the art is perfect for a book about Robin and Superboy.

Nightwing #10-11: The first two issues in the Bludhaven storyline. Solid start.

Nightwing #15: Despite being an epilogue, it works as a great jumping-on point. Though there's very little superhero action, the amount of heart makes up for it. I'll be following Minkyu Jung now, too. 

The Wild Storm #1: This had a thousand times more dialogue than I expected, was filled with tons of nods towards the past, and sets everything in its own universe. I'm onboard.

Comics: 25

Darth Maul #1: Much like Darth Vader in his series, Darth Maul has his own agenda and secrets as the would-be Emperor pulls many strings in the background. This was a solid first issue, one which will bring me back for more. Maul's narration, surprisingly, compelled me; his need to unleash his full potential, to test his mettle against the Jedi, can be read in any number of ways, which is rather fascinating. It also serves to humanize a character that was a rather one-note monster in Phantom Menace.

Luke Ross does a splendid job blending horror, action, sci-fi, space battles, and talking heads all into one issue. He even manages to make some scene reminiscent of the original Marvel Star Wars comic (e.g. the cat- and lizard-people), as well as the Dark Horse books (e.g. the designs of the doomed game hunters), all while making this series his own.

Overall, this book has my attention.

Comics: 27