Every Film You've Watched in 2017

teenalphabro

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kyrsyä – Tuftland: I think the first word is the Finnish name and the second is the English translation? but the first word is the name of a village, so I'm not sure. Whatever. Feature for the festival and one of my favourite films of the year.

Features: 106

Shorts: 77

Documentaries: 9

Rewatches: 1

Hellboy: Mostly rewatched it because of all the hype over the new guy playing the part. It's a decent action film, it has a couple of moments of being just okay but, overall, highly enjoyable.

Little Evil: I like Adam Scott. He's a good actor. This is a movie that is mostly a parody of The Omen but is also about being a stepfather. It's okay. It doesn't really start being anything more than a parody until the halfway mark and, by that point, I had mostly checked out.

Films: 105
Made-For-TV Movie: 2
MST3K/Rifftrax: 16
Repeats: 5

Best Film So Far: All About Eve
Best Film So Far that isn't one of Will's five favorite of all time: Duck Soup

Worst Film So Far That Isn't Showgirls: Cruel Intentions 2

American Beauty: I'm sort of mixed on this. On the one hand the performances are all great, especially Kevin Spacey and Annette Benning. On the other hand, the overall message and some of the symbolism I found to be surprisingly banal and pretentious. That plastic bag scene was like something out of a parody. Thora Birch is and always will be a really good actress, but this is the most basic role I've ever seen her in, basically Enid Coleslaw without the personality. It's far from a bad movie, but for what it's going for (and I don't think the meaning comes across as obtusely as others do apparently) it's not terribly subtle. 

Sadako vs Kayako: As someone who isn't as well versed in Japanese horror films as I would like to be, I went into this with an open mind. That said, this movie was underwhelming, really. I do know that both of the big bad villains have reputations that proceed them, and the last fight was not up to the par of their reputations. The rest of the film was way too heavy on Sadako, and barely even featured Kayako, really. I'm not mad at it, I'm just really disappointed. 

Films Watched: 93

Beauty and the Beast (2017): It's alright. It doesn't bring a whole lot that the original didn't already but it's still a fun enough film. No one is a great singer but ehh, whatever.

The First Wives Club: A little formulaic but a good showcase for it's three leads. I love this movie more than I necessarily should.

Films: 107
Made-For-TV Movie: 2
MST3K/Rifftrax: 16
Repeats: 5

Best Film So Far: All About Eve
Best Film So Far that isn't one of Will's five favorite of all time: Duck Soup

Worst Film So Far That Isn't Showgirls: Cruel Intentions 2

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005): A movie this well-cast and this good-looking really ought to be a lot more involving. I'm not sure a film version of the book could ever possibly be satisfying, as virtually all of its humor and its ideas are driven by the language (the BBC series, which hewed closer to the original radio series, worked a lot better, coughDaveandIancoughcough). The stuff that's added really doesn't work, as it doesn't feel like the rest of the work and is generally not as funny. With that said, Martin Freeman, Mos Def, and Stephen Fry are all perfect in their roles, and Zooey Deschanel goes above and beyond in trying to make Trillian in any way interesting. While I love Sam Rockwell, he's trying a little too hard here.

Visually, it's gorgeous. It's a weird mix of huge and splashy alongside "we're back in a tiny studio in Television Centre" and it somehow works.

There's definitely some enjoyment to be had here, but it tends to be a little flat. It just feels like a bunch of actors reading lines from a famous nerd book. The fact that they obviously thought they were going to go on to make The Restaurant at the End of the Universe doesn't help.

mother!: Darren Aronofsky's lastest film, most certainly an analogy about God.

The story of how I ended up watching this film with my own mother is much more amusing than the film itself. I thought it was pretty interesting. Thought provoking. I definitely didn't dislike it. Jennifer Lawrence really is an excellent actress, and Javier Bardem, poor guy, just oozes sinister even when he's playing somebody perfectly well meaning.

But seriously, my mom REALLY wanted to see a movie tonight, and I said "'mother!' looks good." Then I went into my room and read spoilers after finding out its reviews have been super polarizing. My jaw dropped, and the entire trip to the theater was this song-and-dance of me begging my mom not to see it because I knew she would absolutely hate it. She did, and blamed me for taking her to see such garbage on the ride home.