Every Film You've Watched in 2017

teenalphabro

14 minutes ago, dc20willsave said:

Not Another Teen Movie: Of all the Movie Movies, probably the best one since it's more than just references. Like, it's actually trying to be an actual movie. 

Is that the one with Chyler Leigh and Chris Evans? Yeah, that one manages to be not entirely garbage.

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation: family movie night. Always a blast. "Shitter was full" will never not be the funniest thing in the world to me.

Count Your Curses/Limit/Eternal Recurrence/Banshee/We Summoned a Demon: shorts for the festival

Features: 151

Shorts: 205

Documentaries: 12

Rewatches: 1

Last Vegas: surprisingly fun given that it was made for people 30 years older than me. Morgan Freeman is actually thew highlight here, especially after drinking a couple vodka Red Bulls. 

Dogged/Parched/Inhumanwich: features for the festival

Taste/Goodnight, Gracie/Spreekiller/Dyscrasia/Mehua: shorts for the festival

Features: 155

Shorts: 210

Justice League: It's not Wonder Woman but I was entertained.

Fun in Balloon Land: Watched the Rifftrax version with a friend. Weird as heck.

Lion and the King: CD-I quality Lion King rip-off that's terrible as all get out. But, it's short so never mind.

Frankenstein's Army: Interesting enough found footage film. It's also a WW2 film from the Russian POV which is different. Creature design is awesome.

The WNUF Halloween Special: Another good Found Footage film that has the bonus of being a good recreation of watching a VHS recording.

The Return of the Living Dead: One of the best Zombie movies of all time and a great horror comedy at that. As a person that usually doesn't like Zombie movies, I really enjoyed myself.

Films: 156
Made-For-TV Movie: 2
MST3K/Rifftrax: 16
Repeats: 6

Best Film So Far: All About Eve
Best Film So Far that isn't one of Will's five favorite of all time: Duck Soup

Worst Film So Far That Isn't Showgirls: Cruel Intentions 2

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 1:26 PM, dc20willsave said:

Justice League: It's not Wonder Woman but I was entertained.

Lion and the King: CD-I quality Lion King rip-off that's terrible as all get out. But, it's short so never mind.

I won't be surprised if that is the closest to how I felt about the Justice League movie.I remember watching "Lion and the King" or one that was close to it when I was 12. My verdict would be the same.

Recently I saw films directed by Rene Laloux

Le Planet Sauvage (Fantastic Planet) : An interesting film, people could have different interpretations of the aliens keeping humans like pets. To someone who has been spoiled on Studio Ghibli, Toei Animation and Studio Madhouse it was a change to see animation that resembles a puppet show.

Les maîtres du temp (Time masters) : I was told this movie was originally meant to be a T.V. show. I can believe that because what is supposed to be a rescue ends up taking too long and going in different directions before the twist ending. Nevertheless I loved this movie, because of the art by Moebius. All throughout the movie you see his handiwork with the colors and the architecture.

Gandahar - Like Time Masters the plot was meh but the world building was interesting. I like the design of the mutant creatures as well as the deformed humans that the protagonist befriends. Even the villain (a giant brain) had an interesting design with drawing the blood cells and vessels.

Shrunken Heads: A Full Moon Film that starts off as a children's feature... and then the kids get killed and turned into revenge driven shrunken heads. So very weird.

WolfCop: A drunk deputy becomes a werewolf. Holy fuck, such an awesome movie! Not the greatest movie I've ever seen but as far as horror comedies go, pretty good.

Hobgoblins: MST3k. One of the best episodes of the series.

Crucible of Terror: British Horror film. It's okay, nothing special with an ending twist that makes little sense.

Trancers: Look, it's more proto-Full Moon so you know what you're getting. Weird and some brain hurting time travel in there.

Merlin's Shop of Mystic Wonders: MST3k: Seriously, who was this movie made for?

Dragons: Fire and Ice: children's animated film that was probably supposed to go somewhere. Instead, it just kind of happens.

Trancers 2: The Return of Jack Deth: Less interesting and they barely care about any of the time travel rules they barely established in the first.

Cast a Deadly Spell: HBO film from the 90s. 50s Noir style film where everyone uses magic except the detective. Very fun.

Films: 162
Made-For-TV Movie: 3
MST3K/Rifftrax: 18
Repeats: 6

The Dark Tower: When I saw that Akiva Goldsman worked on it I said "ohhhhh!!!!!" as if to say "That explains it."  I have not read the series when I saw the movie but I was bored. So I can imagine why the people who love the book series were so angry. The talent of a good cast was wasted on this movie. I got much more pleasure watching angry rants on youtube about this movie than i did with watching the movie. Many of them pointed out that this is a good demonstration of Sony Pictures incompetence. After seeing scenes where Roland is doing bullet time shooting I had to agree with the angry critics. I could picture a board room where someone suggested bullet time because it was cool in "The Matrix." They probably did not realize that bullet time acrobatics have been seen as stupid since 2004 with the release of Grenadier an anime that involves a gunslinger girl who reloads her revolver using her boobs. This was so bad it inspired me to watch a few different movies starting with...

IT (2017): I partially watched this out of curiosity but also as a form of protesting Sony pictures by watching a Stephen King property made into a movie by a different company (I believe it is new Line Cinema). I really enjoyed it. I liked the characters. The plot could have done some small things to improve but I thought that they handled it correctly and it was a great idea to split the story into two films. 

A Fistful of Dollars: This is the movie that is referenced in Back to the Future. I watched it because fans of the Dark Tower book series have compared Roland to the Man with no name. Seeing an Italian movie starring and American actor based off of the Akira Kurosawa film Yojimbo, it was either going to be good or horrible. It ended up being excellent. 

For a Few Dollars More: Right away the viewer can see that Sergio Leone had a much bigger budget than in A Fistful of Dollars. There were so many settings and big establishing shots. The music box scenes really gave the atmosphere an eerie effect. Lee Van Cleef was amazing and his prim and proper get up was a great yin to the yang that was the chaotic machismo of Clint Eastwood. 

High plains Drifter: A friend heard I was watching the Sergio Leone Eastwood films and recommended this film to me. Whoah, this film was dark. When the film came out, having the main character wearing all black must have been a way of toying with the expectations of the viewers who are used to seeing the heroes wear white and the villains wear black. When the big reveal came at the end I realized that this film had a completely different meaning to Generation X, Y, and millennials 

Spoiler

The stranger is a wandering spirit getting revenge on those who violently murdered him, this movie is the Crow

Resident Evil: Dumb but kind of fun.

Resident Evil: Apocalypse: Dumb but not kind of fun.

The Final Girls: One of the better horror comedies. It's parody but it knows what it's doing.

Beyond the Gate: The friend I had staying the week hadn't seen it and wanted to. It's still okay but much too slow to start. Great score.

Officer Downe: I was expecting something like Wolf Cop. It's problem is that it never fully commits to being batshit insane. Oh, it tries to get there but then we have stuff about humanity and the stupid side characters and yeah, no, bored.

Seventh Son: The only reason this movie will be forgotten and not considered one of the worst of the year it came out was because Jupiter Ascending came out the same day.

The Star Wars Holiday Special: Watched it with Rifftrax. It keeps it from being painful.

Films: 167
Made-For-TV Movie: 3
MST3K/Rifftrax: 19
Repeats: 7

Home Alone/Home Alone 2: Pig in the City/Frozen: dumb shit while holed up in a shitty hotel in a remote area for a hockey tournament. 

Hameatophilia/Creature from the Lake/It's a Bird Thing/Save/Night Crosser/Tale From a Dead Guy/Scraps/The Black Circle of the Red Scorpion: shorts for the festival

Kindergarten Cop: family movie night- this is a really underrated movie. The beginning is brilliant. The true core of a brainless Arnie action movie. Violent, fascistic, bleak and nihilistic. That makes the tonal shift 20 minutes in so much more jarring. He does a great job in only his second comedic role. Even still, he doesn't have Danny Devito to bounce off of here. He's the star and he does admirably. Great kid actirs. Penelope Ann Miller is an 80s fox if there ever was one. Richard Tyson is a weird, creepy villain. Pamela Reed is brilliant. Fun movie.

Features: 160

Shorts: 218

16 minutes ago, dc20willsave said:

This is, honestly, either the funniest typo or the funniest joke about a movie title. Either way, kudos.

Pig in the City is awful, but random animals would have improved Home Alone 2 immeasurably.

Gremlins: Yes it's a bit early, but it was added to Netflix fairly recently and I'd never seen it before. The Gremlins themselves don't look all that great and there's about five solid minutes of them looting the local bar but otherwise it's pretty fun. Definitely the better of the two films that gave us PG-13. I missed the Spielberg cameo :doh:

Innerspace: It's alright, though I starting to get tired while watching. Might be good for Dennis Quaid or Martin Short month. Unfortunately, only about 10% of the film actually focuses on Tuck in the human body. On the plus side, the lead villain from Commando sorta-kinda plays the Terminator here.

4 hours ago, dc20willsave said:

This is, honestly, either the funniest typo or the funniest joke about a movie title. Either way, kudos.

I honestly couldn't remember the exact title and don't think enough of it to waste the time looking it up. I went with that one.

13 hours ago, Dread said:

Kindergarten Cop: family movie night- this is a really underrated movie. The beginning is brilliant. The true core of a brainless Arnie action movie. Violent, fascistic, bleak and nihilistic. That makes the tonal shift 20 minutes in so much more jarring. He does a great job in only his second comedic role. Even still, he doesn't have Danny Devito to bounce off of here. He's the star and he does admirably. Great kid actirs. Penelope Ann Miller is an 80s fox if there ever was one. Richard Tyson is a weird, creepy villain. Pamela Reed is brilliant. Fun movie.

It's sad that most people only remember the movie for a few one-liners, rather than the fun action-comedy it is. Richard Tyson is one of those guys I wish got more mainstream work; between his voice, look, and line-delivery, he's a breath of fresh air when it comes to screen villains.