Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse

dc20willsave

Bearing in mind I have not seen the Sam Raimi movies in over a decade, I would put it right at the top.

Just before the climax, there's a powerful scene between Miles and his dad. It's better than any Peter / Uncle Ben scene to date. And that helps push it way up there in my estimation.

Having seen it last night, this is definitely near the top for me. I didn't leave the theater feeling an extreme high like I did with the first two Raimi films, so it's not gone up past them for me, but in terms of writing and theme, it's easily the strongest Spidey film since the Raimi era. Better than everything since, and it's not even close.

What's great is that the story isn't just a pat message on "Miles is good enough to be Spider-Man", but a more identifiable story about manifesting one's own control over who they want to be. The film's also quite a bit darker than I was anticipating, which is a good thing as Spider-Man needs to have a dark quality to the franchise to keep it grounded in the pathos that his origin stems from. As kid-friendly and comedic as this movie got, it had a great tonal balance that keeps you caring and reflects the humanity of the characters. Basically, the stakes are higher than "kid Avenger loses his super-suit".

This also has the best soundtrack of all the films, and the best Stan Lee cameo since Spider-Man 3.

3 hours ago, The Master said:

I gasped, then welled up during the cameo.

Yeah, I got very silent when that came up. And the dedication at the end of Lee and Ditko, for the type of movie that this is, makes me want this to be the last Spider-Man story ever because it's so fitting. 

Someone else pointed out that 2018 has been a helluva year for Spider-Man. Not only did his creators pass away, but he was in the most profitable superhero film of all time, had a records-smashing video game, his most popular enemy had a surprise hit at the box office, and now the year is ending on the next generation. It's been a major year for him.

This might honestly have been the best movie I've seen all year. Yeah, it pushed the "I like Spidey" buttons, and the script was funny and clever, but as someone who pays way more attention to animation than most people, this was one of the most original pieces of animated work I've ever seen.

And HOLY SHIT, the post-credits. I'm still in the middle of "Yes, finally, they bring HIM in" when he winds up... where he winds up.

I absolutely adored it. I've had problems with animation over the last few years, mainly with each studio having a house style that results in films that all look alike. The fact that this was such a distinctive looking film was thrilling. It also helped that the script and voice acting was spot-on for the entire film. Like, if this doesn't end up winning the Oscar for Best Animated film, I will be largely disappointed. Unless it's maybe Isle of Dogs. Maybe.

Spoiler

Also, I've said it many times in the last day: "Oh great, it's Liv." was absolutely the best line delivery in the entire movie. For that matter, combining with the earlier, "My friends call me Liv," the canonical relationship in the comics between aunt May and Doc Ock, and the fact that it's Lily Tomlin, I'm fairly certain that it's hard for me to have any read other than "Aunt May and Liv Octavia used to date."

At first I sat there wishing they made this movie live action. I thought it would be a near perfect Spider-Man movie for this generation. Then Spider-Ham showed up and I thought "nevermind, it needs to be animated". I think this will solidify Miles as a perfectly viable Spider-Man for future live action movies. 

I love how NO media made any mention of the Prowler. When he showed up he was perfectly menacing and the relationship with Aaron and Miles was handled wonderfully. There’s so much here and I honestly don’t have a single complaint. 

Well, Kingpin’s design was weird, I guess. If I have to nitpick.