Every Film You've Watched in 2018

Missy

Freaky Friday: The Jamie Lee Curtis version. Still love it.

The Devil Wears Prada: I have some how went my entire gay life without watching and, since I had been using a couple of GIFs from the film lately on Twitter, I figured I should. It's really good. Meryl Streep definitely steals the show but Anne Hathaway does a pretty good job also. It does have some major problems (All of Anne's friends are terrible people and she's better off without them including the boyfriend is the big one) but still a fun movie.

The September Issue: Mainly I watched it since Anna Wintour is the basis for the Miranda Priestly character in The Devil Wears Prada. It's a kind of interesting look at what goes into building the Vogue September Issue. That said, if you have no interest in fashion or publishing, it might be deathly boring.

Films: 45
Repeats: 1
Made For TV: 1
Documentaries: 1
Straight to DVD: 1

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Interview (1998) starring Hugo Weaving

An Australian film about a man forcibly brought in for questioning about stolen vehicle in relation to a missing person's case. Hugo Weaving's performance, particularly in the 2nd act, makes this film. This is his role to shine in, and should Hey An Actor have a Weaving month, this movie is crucial. Tony Martin who plays the policeman conducting the formal interview, is terrific as well. Facially he reminds me of Tim Roth but he rolls with Weaving's class of acting just fine. The film's let down by the overpowering and obvious score, making moments of tension and creepiness melodramatic. As a result, it's not great, but quite good.

God...again. More than two weeks since I've watched a movie. Oh well, summer is almost here and film festival adjudication season is upon me, so that will amp up.

Three Stooges: tonight the boys picked the movie and we watched this nonsense again. I would never argue that this is a great film, but parts of it are fucking hysterical, and it contains one of my all-time favourite slapstick moments. The performances are impressions, but they are fucking incredible. Great supporting cast. Also: Sophia Vergara and Kate Upton in the nun habit bikini? I mean...come on!

Features: 69

Shorts: 42

Documentaries: 4

Rewatches:

Watched last Sunday and I just forgot to actually write it.

Logan: Holy crap. People told me this was emotional but goddamn, I didn't realize it was to this extent. Like, I actually cried at the ending even though I knew it was coming. The fact that Patrick Stewart alone didn't get a nomination is a fucking shame. Sidenote: Patrick Stewart hasn't even gotten any of the components of an EGOT and that's a crying shame for the record.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: I know I said this the last time I watched it but maybe it's because I watched it during Pride Month. Maybe it's because I watched it on Father's Day. The Guardians are the perfect example of how we choose our families and why that is perfectly valid, especially when the people we're related to are pieces of shit but also that some of them can be redeemed.

Thor: Ragnarok: Y'know, we don't see Hela die on screen.

Films: 47
Repeats: 2

Blade Runner 2049: It's not the original film but then again, what is? It is still really solid. It's more Cyberpunk than Neo-Noir and the stakes are much too high considering what the stakes of the original film were but still admirable film-making.

Films: 48

Hail Caesar!: weird tone to this (of course...it's the Coen Bros.) but I really enjoyed it. Megan did not. I thought it was flippant and weird and Josh Brolin was fucking incredible. Most everybody else is just moonwalking through the roles. Brolin is the least quirky actor and he seems to be the only one doing the work. It's kind of funny. I really enjoyed the stylistic approach of showing the kind of films they were making, but in a weird in-universe HD example. It was otherworldly. Frances McDormand steals the show with her minute and half of screen time.

Features: 70

Rewatches:

10 hours ago, Dread said:

Hail Caesar!: weird tone to this (of course...it's the Coen Bros.) but I really enjoyed it. Megan did not. I thought it was flippant and weird and Josh Brolin was fucking incredible. Most everybody else is just moonwalking through the roles. Brolin is the least quirky actor and he seems to be the only one doing the work. It's kind of funny. I really enjoyed the stylistic approach of showing the kind of films they were making, but in a weird in-universe HD example. It was otherworldly. Frances McDormand steals the show with her minute and half of screen time.

Features: 70

Rewatches:

Did Megan not even like the Channing Tatum dance number?

Anyway, I enjoyed it when I saw it in the cinema whereas my date wasn't as keen. Not sure there's anything in there that would specifically appeal down gender lines though.

6 hours ago, slothian said:

Did Megan not even like the Channing Tatum dance number?

Anyway, I enjoyed it when I saw it in the cinema whereas my date wasn't as keen. Not sure there's anything in there that would specifically appeal down gender lines though.

She thought some of the set pieces were clever (paraphrasing her there) but she wasn't entirely interested. She couldn't get through 15 minutes of Fargo, so it is most definitely a Coen Brothers thing.

Quiz Show: Starring Ralph Fiennes, John Tuturro, with Christopher MacDonald.

A film about the quiz show scandals from the 1950s, something I never heard of but helped keep my interest in the film. I like Ralph Fiennes in this, and the acting all around is solid, including Hank Azaria in a supporting role. It was good, but I didn't care that much about the stakes or the outcome because...it's a quiz show. IDK, who cares? But the movie was fun.

3 hours ago, teenalphabro said:

The Decline of Western Civilization II: The Metal Years: I'm ashamed it's taken me this long to watch this movie. 

Films Watched: 47

That's one of the greats.

Lost In Apocalypse: feature of the festival

Features: 75

Rewatches:

The Lego Ninjago Movie: While it leans more heavily into the "We're Legos" theme than The Lego Batman Movie did, this one is definitely more there to sell toys.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone: Wow, the Chris Columbus movies are... things. Look, I get it, they're kid's movies and that's part of the problem. The later films play to a greater audience. This... is just alright.

IT: I've taken my time getting around to watching this one. The child actors are fairly decent and Bill Skarsgard puts in a performance that definitely stands apart from Tim Curry's Pennywise. Still not sure how I feel about Part 2 but then, the adult portion has always been weaker than the child portion of IT, going all the way back to the books.

Space Mutiny: Because is there a better way to celebrate the 4th of July than with Reb Brown?

Films: 50
MST3k/Rifftrax Assisted: 2

Soul Man (1986): In which C. Thomas Howell goes Blackface to get into Harvard.

Alright look, the movie has a decent heart to it. The final scene between Howell and James Earl Jones is actually fairly good, or at least more insightful than I was expecting from the previous hour and twenty minutes. It was made with good intentions and I'm not leaving the film hating anyone who was in it (I could never hate JEJ anyway).

But...for crying out fucking loud, the dude's in blackface. No amount of irritating 1980s "charm" is gonna make that easier to swallow. No one in the film really calls out that that's precisely what Howell is doing, and it seriously needed to have a scene of either Jones or Rae Dawn Chong wringing his neck. There's just not enough realization or basic intelligence to justify that being the hook in the movie. The main character's far too unlikable to buy his redemption, and the movie's far too pleased with itself for being a "black people are people too" message to have the intention sink in, should anyone need it. It's not exactly the incendiary premise, it's just that it was an incendiary premise done really badly. 

Bottom line, I suggest this film for a future C.Thomas Howell month for Hey! An Actor.

22 hours ago, Donomark said:

Bottom line, I suggest this film for a future C.Thomas Howell month for Hey! An Actor.

Oddly, just before you posted this, both this movie and a C. Thomas Howell month were thrown around during a Pulp Diction recording.

Central Intelligence: just dumb fun. It would never win a screenwriting award as it's pretty hack, but there's a lot of solid performances, Kevin Hart and The Rock have great chemistry and it's got a bunch of solid jokes. Good for family movie night. Also: family movie nights have hand job jokes now.

Leaf Blower Massacre 2: film festival entry.

Features: 78

Rewatches: