Random Star Trek thoughts

Halted my full rewatch of Star Trek: The Next Generation for the time being (at "Brothers"). The show had definitely taking a turn for the better throughout Season 3 and there was still a lot of greatness to come; I just didn't have the stamina to marathon seven twenty-plus episode seasons.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine is my favorite series, and Quark is my favorite character in the entire Star Trek multiverse. I love Quark.

I had a TOS "red shirt" onesie from ThinkGeek that both of my sons wore as infants.

18 hours ago, You Know Who said:

I just saw that about an hour ago via The Great Derelict. I nearly responded with the Voyager - Friends video. Then I got ear-wormed with the Friends theme and decided not to inflict it on anyone else.

That's where I found it, too. ;)

13 hours ago, S-T said:

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine is my favorite series, and Quark is my favorite character in the entire Star Trek multiverse. I love Quark.

I had a TOS "red shirt" onesie from ThinkGeek that both of my sons wore as infants.

Quark's character growth is amazing.

13 hours ago, The Master said:

Quark's character growth is amazing.

Yes. All of the characters other than Dax were nearly unlikable in the first season: Sisko, Bashir, Kira and especially Quark. They all became much more likable as the series wore on.

Quark, especially, became a lovable heel.

Sisko was my favorite captain. He actually punched Q! He seemed so much more down to earth and real than the other captains. And I really like the actor.

It is crap that it took them several seasons to actually make him a captain, though.

10 hours ago, S-T said:

Yes. All of the characters other than Dax were nearly unlikable in the first season: Sisko, Bashir, Kira and especially Quark. They all became much more likable as the series wore on.

Quark, especially, became a lovable heel.

For me, Jadzia only shined when she was hanging around Klingons or chumming it up with Sisko, Kira, or Quark. She took ages to grow, and, sadly, her growth hinged on that of the male characters around her:

• Dr. Bashir matures and stops trying to win her over, so Dax is able to become a character beyond the jewel of Julian's eye.
  • Sisko comes into his own as a leader, so Dax becomes his conscious.
  • Warf shows his heart, Jadzia gets a husband.

Another issue with her character is the Jadzia-centric stories were either about her hanging out with Klingons or something to do with the  Dax symbiont and / or being a Trill. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't remember her having any other story types, and that's a shame because Terry Farrell is a decent actress who deserved better.

On 5/18/2018 at 9:28 AM, The Master said:
  • Dr. Bashir matures and stops trying to win her over, so Dax is able to become a character beyond the jewel of Julian's eye.

Dr. Bashir was a womanizing Guy Banter creep the first season. I remembered him being a sympathetic character who never attained the woman he loved, but when I re-watched DS9 in 2012* I hated the character. He did become less of a creep as the series wore on.

*I watched the series largely in the middle of the night because my newborn would not sleep unless he was being held. The baby is asleep but will wake up if I put him down, I am bored, time to watch Netflix.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Overall, I enjoyed the first episode of Picard. They did a wonderful job tying the destruction of Romulus into core continuity, and Stewart acted his heart out when Picard's pent-up rage was exposed during the news broadcast. I do have one nitpick, though:

The show and Picard seem to be putting Dahj, and presumably later Soji, on a "you're so special" pedestal. And technically they are extraordinary. Like Data, they should not be able to exist. Yet, they live. However, this seems to miss the entire point of Data. As a person, Data did not want to be special. He wanted to be normal. He fought every single day to achieve a normal life. From making friends and lovers, to diving into creative endeavors, Data sought what it meant to be alive. Specifically, human. Here, though, we're constantly told Data's daughters (?) are special mystery boxes to be solved. And that bothers me to some extent. Maybe I'm just tired of mystery box characters in modern fiction.

On 1/26/2020 at 1:06 AM, The Master said:

Overall, I enjoyed the first episode of Picard. They did a wonderful job tying the destruction of Romulus into core continuity, and Stewart acted his heart out when Picard's pent-up rage was exposed during the news broadcast. I do have one nitpick, though:

Reveal hidden contents

The show and Picard seem to be putting Dahj, and presumably later Soji, on a "you're so special" pedestal. And technically they are extraordinary. Like Data, they should not be able to exist. Yet, they live. However, this seems to miss the entire point of Data. As a person, Data did not want to be special. He wanted to be normal. He fought every single day to achieve a normal life. From making friends and lovers, to diving into creative endeavors, Data sought what it meant to be alive. Specifically, human. Here, though, we're constantly told Data's daughters (?) are special mystery boxes to be solved. And that bothers me to some extent. Maybe I'm just tired of mystery box characters in modern fiction.

That's a really good point actually that I hadn't thought about. This doesn't feel like a continuation of Data. 

My main issues related to the modern tv structure. People talk a lot in emotions and feelings and less in facts. Sometimes you just think people should explain what's happened to each other. 

That and the fact that TV fight choreo hasn't updated since Buffy. The people fighting in this shouldn't be fighting in this style with ninja moves and head scissors, it feels more like a show than a fight. It was revolutionary 20 years ago but at this point its overdone. 

• 3 months later...

Finally got around to watching Picard.  I enjoyed it.  The episodes kinda flew by, which I haven't felt in a while.  Will say the final episode lacked any impact because I've seen science fiction before.

My main issue was the feeling that I was missing things I was left with.  This show was built on nostalgia.  I get it.  See Patrick Stewart revisit the character we all love.  So seeing more familiar faces makes sense.  But there are some deep cuts.  And those are just the ones I noticed.  Sure there are more.  And like Romulus.  I have no idea where that came from.  Was it a blind spot of my Trek knowledge?  Or was it completely new for the series?  Not really new/casual Trek viewer friendly?  Or maybe I'm just in that sweet spot where if I knew less these things wouldn't occur to me.  Still liked it.

The planet being destroyed.  Googled since then, but I've not watched the movies nor really understand any potential relevance to the wider Star Trek mythos.  Like I mentioned, it just felt like at times I was not only to have seen all the shows and movies, but also to remember every minute detail.

• 3 months later...

Season three of Discovery will introduce two new characters: Adira (Blu del Barrio) and Gray (Ian Alexander), a non-binary character and a transgender character, respectively. Even better, del Barrio is non-binary and Alexander is transgender. Bravo to the creative team and casting!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I recently started rewatching TNG at season 3 and have breached season 5. It's pretty excellent overall. There are a couple dumb episodes (mostly weird romantic shit with Crusher/Troi [boy this series really had problems with their female characters] that doesn't mean much) but, I'm enjoying it. I have also recently snagged the steelbooks of the Original Series, so I guess those are next. I also landed the movie collection so I may do those first. I'm rewatching TNG to check out Picard, as I don't think I ever finished TNG. I just floated over to DS9 because it was so much better to me at the time.

I've only seen the first four original films (still not sure about 3), Generations and Nemesis of the TNG movies. So I'm intrigued to watch them all in order at some point.