Window between theatrical and DVD releases

Missy

Shyamalan Opposes Quick DVD Releases

LOS ANGELES - M. Night Shyamalan says a move to eliminate the window between a film's theatrical release and its debut on video would diminish the artistic integrity of moviemaking.

Part of what makes movies an art form is that they are viewed on a big screen with a big audience, Shyamalan said in an interview in Friday's editions of the Los Angeles Times.

"If I can't make movies for theaters, I don't want to make movies," the 35-year-old writer-director said. "I hope this is a very bad idea that goes away."

The proposal to simultaneously release movies in theaters and on DVD is the most pressing issue facing the exhibition industry today, with the discussion focusing on the need to increase studio revenues.

Shyamalan said his speech at the ShowEast convention in Orlando, Fla., on Thursday night, was intended to address "the human factor."

"When I sit down next to you in a movie theater, we get to share each other's point of view. We become part of a collective soul. That's the magic in the movies," he was quoted as telling some 800 theater operators and suppliers.

"Nobody has benefited more from DVD sales than me. I bought my house on DVD sales from `The Sixth Sense,'" he said. "But take away my house. That's not why I do what I do."

He added: "If this thing happens, you know the majority of your theaters are closing. It's going to crush you guys."

I have to agree with him. While some would still go to the theater for a new movie, after the cost of tickets and snacks for you and a friend, you've just spent about the same amount it costs to buy the dvd. The movie theater industry would be severely damaged

"Nobody has benefited more from DVD sales than me. I bought my house on DVD sales from `The Sixth Sense,'" he said. "But take away my house. That's not why I do what I do."

Its always refreshing to see someone driven by the love of doing something and not just profits.

The only way I would even be remotely for this is if the theatres are the only ones selling the DVDs until the movies come out of the theatre. Another thing is that the movies wouldn't be sold at all until the second or third week of running. That way it has plenty of chance to make money for the theatres and theatres aren't put out because DVDs are easy to get elsewhere.

I actually quite like the idea of DVD's being sold in the movie theatres - it's the same kind of idea as bands selling CD's at their gigs.

However, DVD release should absolutely be after a theatrical release, especially on a general basis. Bringing them out simultaneously would definitely damage theatrical takings, and a lot of movies can't afford that.