Help Influence Episode 57!

slothian

Yes, you can help influence not only the film Pandy & I use as the joint review, but the homework we assign each other to plot the range of their career. As announced in Episode 55, our subject will be Tom Cruise.

Pandy & I will take an executive decision on what makes the joint review on Friday 24th August so get your ideas in before then!

NB) We will not be covering Interview with a Vampire or Oblivion.

You also can't cover Rain Man.

This is rather hard, as he's only been in 40-some movies, but many of them are classics. How do you choose between these?

• Risky Business
  • Top Gun
  • A Few Good Men
  • Mission: Impossible
  • Magnolia
  • Born on the Fourth of July

I'll say Top Gun, Born on the Fourth of July, and A Few Good Men.

I would say either: Risky Business, Minority Report, Jack Reacher or

Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Edge of Tomorrow.

It's that middle era movie that's killer. There are a ton of good options. That all said, if you want to listen to someone sing that obviously shouldn't be, Rock of Ages is a movie that Tom Cruise was in. It's... a bit better than Pierce Brosnan in Mamma Mia.

The only film I've seen him in where he didn't give exactly the same performance that he always does is Tropic Thunder, though he's a ways down the cast list on that, it did at least prove he had some comedy chops and the ability to play someone other than himself.

Risky Business is said to be his star making role. And Top Gun reified that. 

Here's my strongman pitch: COLLATERAL. Cruise plays the villain and it's a serious standout from his usual performances. If not now than maybe during a Jaimie Foxx month because I love that film.

I hope I remember to send feedback in time and simply ask why so many people have a hate-boner for Cruise. Should be interesting to talk about.