Episode 1019

RSS

Good ep fellows. Regarding the NTT/X-Men comparisons, Wolfman actually fought back on the accusation that they were patterning their book after Claremont, and the character of Terra was more or less a reaction to that.

http://www.titanstower.com/terra-i/

"When The New Teen Titans was first published back in 1980, many fans thought that we were simply ‘ripping off the idea from Marvel’s X-Men comic.

Nothing could have been further from the truth. I had written the Teen Titans in its first incarnation in 1969 and have had a fondness for the group ever since. When I came to DC Comics in 1980, I wanted to return to that title, bring it up to date, and add a new cast of characters to fight alongside some of the original members.

But the accusation that we were an X-Men clone continued, even though the X-Men writer, Chris Claremont, once stated at a comics convention that the only similarity was that we were both working on former cult titles and had made them more popular than before.

Still, some die-hards refused to give up. Now, I love puncturing balloons, and I decided if some fans thought we were an X-Men clone, then why not play with them a bit? The X-Men had just introduced a new member to their group, a young 14-year-old cute-as-a-button girl with incredible powers. I’d do the same. I’d play her first as a villain, then seemingly reform her and have her join the Titans. Only I’d have her constantly lie to the Titans, change her stories, do suspicious things, and, in general, make her a louse. I could do that, I knew, because comic book convention would demand that readers ignore all the evidence and assume she was a good girl. Alter all, the X-Men’s Kitty Pryde was a heroine, so even the lying, cheating, conniving Tara Markov had to have a heart of gold.

Right?

Wrong. From the very beginning Tara was conceived as a villainess. It was the first time a member of a super-hero group ever proved to be a spy (not a traitor-she was always working for The Terminator). Playing on the comic readers’ expectations worked.

The Tara Markov story threw everyone for a loop. Reader response ranged from hailing the stories as a Titans high point to “How dare you make her evil,” (as if I had ever given the readers any reason to think she wasn’t) to “For what you did to Tara Markov, I am going to kill you.” We sent that death-threat to the police. Unlike our pen-and-ink created heroes and heroines, the writers and artists of the Titans are all too mortal."

My eyes literally welled up when you guys were explaining how Wolverine turned away because he could not face the Greys. I had to pause the episode and compose myself because I was at work.  

Also, I picked up the Terra Incognito and The Judas Contract trade paperbacks a few years ago, followed by the Terror of Trigon, and they are all spectacular. If you are a fan of the Titans, you owe it to yourself to buy those books. 

On 8/14/2018 at 3:12 PM, Donomark said:

Good ep fellows. Regarding the NTT/X-Men comparisons, Wolfman actually fought back on the accusation that they were patterning their book after Claremont, and the character of Terra was more or less a reaction to that.

ba2.gif

5 hours ago, S-T said:

My eyes literally welled up when you guys were explaining how Wolverine turned away because he could not face the Greys. I had to pause the episode and compose myself because I was at work. 

It's utterly heartbreaking to see one of the toughest characters of all time so emotionally broken. It speaks volumes about the character.

6 hours ago, The Master said:

It's utterly heartbreaking to see one of the toughest characters of all time so emotionally broken. It speaks volumes about the character.

And it says a lot about how much wolverine loved Jean, and how special his love for her was. Wolverine has had many women over the years- Silver Fox, Mariko, Black Widow, Squirrel Girl, Madame Hydra, Mystique (he also has very poor judgment) but Jean was the love of his life. Even more than Mariko... but Jean was always with Scott Summers.