Episode 56: Salma Hayek

RSS

Summer is over, Ian has regained his editing duties, and Pandy is going back to work. What can possibly cheer up The Brothers Wilson and, by extension, the listeners of Hey, an Actor? Why, the delectable Salma Hayek, of course! Starting with her early crossover hit into American film with her female lead in Robert "RobRod" Rodriguez's sophomore trilogy entry Desperado. This episode also charts her Academy Award-nominated role as the titular star of Frida, and her latter career dramatic turn as the equally titular Beatriz at Dinner. Listen closely to find out in which film Hayek plays a Fembot, and which of our featured films works best as a Captain Planet prequel. Pandy also returns to his jingle-making excesses, the feedback section is almost entirely forgotten, and the hosts discuss the sexual eroticism of Alfred Molina. Happy autumn, everybody! [ 2:30:40 || 72.7 MB ]

Finally finished this. I'm glad you guys agreed the ending to Beatriz at Dinner was wack. Tbh that was more than enough for me to write the movie off. You two seemed to enjoy it more'n I did.

Looking forward to sending in feedback for Collateral, and will have to discipline myself from spouting Street Fighter quotes too early, even if that isn't picked.

57 minutes ago, Donomark said:

Finally finished this. I'm glad you guys agreed the ending to Beatriz at Dinner was wack. Tbh that was more than enough for me to write the movie off. You two seemed to enjoy it more'n I did.

Looking forward to sending in feedback for Collateral, and will have to discipline myself from spouting Street Fighter quotes too early, even if that isn't picked.

I try not to let a bad ending sour me on films, but it does happen, so fair dos if you felt the same for that one.

58 minutes ago, Donomark said:

I wouldn't worry about that.....

17 hours ago, Donomark said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gérard_Depardieu

"He is one of the most prolific character actors in film history, having completed more than 170 films since 1967."

Rape allegations aside, there's something hilarious going from an actor with such prestige to Jean-Claude Van Damne.

The rape allegations came out 2 days after we recorded, and we didn't want it hanging over that future episode. 

I'm not saying that we will shy away from known miscreants in the acting fraternity (see our Mel Gibson episode), but this was TOO close/fresh as a news item. Same reason we're unlikely to cover Kevin Spacey next year (at least) - never say never, and I won't speak for Pandy on this subject, but I don't want an actor's baggage to overwhelm the film reviews or entertainment factor.