The Year of Tolkien

Missy

This is a brilliant idea! Some suggested actors and their movies:

• Elijah Wood: The Ice Storm, The Good Son, Maniac
  • Hugo Weaving: V for Vendetta, Proof, Babe
  • Liv Tyler: Empire Records, Armageddon, The Strangers
  • Viggo Mortensen: Eastern Promises, A History of Violence, GI Jane
  • Ian McKellen: Apt Pupil, Mr. Holmes, Richard III
  • Andy Serkis: (You already seem to have him planned.)
  • Orlando Bloom: Pirates of the Caribbean, Elizabethtown, The Good Doctor
  • Sean Bean: Anna Karenina, Equilibrium, Silent Hill (or, find three movies in which he does not die)
  • Karl Urban: Dredd, Star Trek, Doom
  • Brad Dourif: Child's Play, Dune, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (you might want to save this for Jack Nicholson month, but it did net Dourif his only Oscar nomination)
  • Martin Freeman: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The World's End, Cargo

My only concern is that if Wilson Jr. doesn't postpone Cate Blanchett month, then next year is something of a sausage-fest. Miranda Otto's possible, I guess, but I'm struggling beyond Tyler/Blanchett/Otto. And whilst I'm on my inclusivity soapbox, it's a bit Oscars 2016 too, if you get my drift.

That being said, that's more on the casting/studios than it is the concept itself. For the record, I am up for the Year of Tolkein if the demand's there as it is a theme that has legs, as Mike's demonstrated above.

On 10/8/2018 at 2:21 PM, You Know Who said:

I think it would work better as a season rather than as a whole year.

Building on that, maybe The Year of the Franchise where each of your actors comes from one of Cinemas big Franchises. Suggestions with some actors: Winter of Bond (Sean Connery, Pierce Brosnan, Naomie Harris), Spring of the Rings (Hugo Weaving, Liv Tyler, Elijah Wood) Summer of Potter (Helena Bonham Carter, Daniel Radcliffe, Alan Rickman), Fall of Star Wars (Alec Guiness, Natalie Portman, Harrison Ford).

Other potential franchises could be Avengers, The Fast and the Furious (Michelle Rodriguez month, anyone?), X-Men, or even Batman or Transformers.

2 hours ago, dc20willsave said:

Building on that, maybe The Year of the Franchise where each of your actors comes from one of Cinemas big Franchises. Suggestions with some actors: Winter of Bond (Sean Connery, Pierce Brosnan, Naomie Harris), Spring of the Rings (Hugo Weaving, Liv Tyler, Elijah Wood) Summer of Potter (Helena Bonham Carter, Daniel Radcliffe, Alan Rickman), Fall of Star Wars (Alec Guiness, Natalie Portman, Harrison Ford).

Other potential franchises could be Avengers, The Fast and the Furious (Michelle Rodriguez month, anyone?), X-Men, or even Batman or Transformers.

This please.