Every Film You've Watched in 2019

Missy

Batman vs TMNT: Was not expecting this to be so delightful.

Halloween (2018): Judy Greer should be in every horror movie. All in all, I had a good time and it was worth watching.

Repo: The Genetic Opera: It's not a perfect movie but when you're drunk and you want a combination of horror and rock music.

Films: 71
MST3K/Rifftrax Assisted: 2

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday: "I know what this series needs: a brand new incomprehensible supernatural mythology and a random bounty hunter character who somehow knows all about it!" - New Line Cinema suits in 1993 probably.

Features: 42

Shorts: 15

Documentaries: 5

Rewatches: 4

Into the Spider-Verse: This is a lot of fun. I love how they handled Kingpin. You may not agree with his villainous actions, but you understand how much he loves his family and how much pain he is in.

One quibble:

Spoiler

There is no way Norman Osborn would be a flunky of Wilson Fisk.

Films watched: 16

There is literally nothing in the film that supports this, it's pure speculation/headcanon, but since we're dealing with an older Peter in both universes, and we never see Harry: It's possible Harry died in these universes (like he briefly did in the main Marvel comics) and Norman is working with Fisk to get his own son back. 

Like I said, I'm digging into What If territory here, but that's my theory. 

Alternatively, Ultimate Green Goblin isn't as smart as his 616 counterpart, initially. That explanation is more likely, but less fun.

Hot Fuzz: Youngest wanted to watch this, and since it's probably in my top 5, I jumped on it. The movie is perfect. The direction, the editing, the performances...everything. It's maybe the smartest and most compact comedy script I've ever seen put to film. Even if it wasn't all that good, I would still love it for the singularly brilliant comedic performance of Paddy Considine.

giphy.gif

Features: 43

Always Be My Maybe: Cute little movie. It's nice to see more films starring POC, especially when they can still be more than a "We could have cast a white actor but we cast a POC actor instead without changing any of the writing" affair. Good work. Also, I have more respect of Keanu Reeves and how he has handled his career and I will say nothing more.

Set It Up: I have a ton more respect for Executive Assistants than I already had and I had quite a bit. Also, I like Pete Davidson a bit more now.

Take Me Home Tonight: Your movie is called Take Me Home Tonight. You had one job: feature the song. You couldn't even do that! Oh, and the movie is alright but nothing special. Honestly, Anna Farris is pretty good in it but it's super awkward watching her and Chris Pratt break up in the movie when you know they were about two or three years from it happening in real life.

Films: 74
MST3K/Rifftrax Assisted: 2

Office Space: So much fun. A little dated, since it is tied to Y2K, but still great. I love this movie. I’ve seen it several times.

I have a red Swingline stapler on my desk at work.

Films Watched: 17

Good Time: After a successful bank robbery, brothers Connie (Robert Pattinson) and Nick (Benny Safdie) attempt to flee the city. Unfortunately, the developmentally disabled Nick is caught and sent to jail. Connie then spends the next 24 hours attempting to free his brother -- first legally, then not so much.

The first 40 minutes are an absolutely intense, edge-of-your-seat experience. Robert Pattinson's portrayal of Connie is that of a man whose barely keeping it together, and you can see the edges fraying with every passing moment. There's a quiet rage to his eyes and body language. He's clearly tired of life -- or, at least, the life he's been dealt.

Daniel Lopatin's score is an inspired John Carpenter-influenced piece that builds to a breaking point. Absolutely brilliant work.

Once the movie passes the 40-minute mark, however, it comes apart at the seams. Connie finds himself in one nonsensical downward spiral after another. To cover his tracks he commits sexual assault on a minor, frames an innocent man, and is complicit in an accidental death. Though we understand his need to free his brother from the city and jail, he becomes an absolutely unlikable character by the end. This is no fault of Pattinson, though; he's doing his best with the work. Connie's character development suffers once the co-directors decide to alter the movie from a sort-of urban Of Mice and Men to a cops-and-robbers movie.

Watch the opening 40 minutes, but feel free to stop it once Connie pushes the wheelchair off the shuttle bus.

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure: Amusing. It's a total cartoon with zero heft to it. I really didn't find it funny, but Bill and Ted's good-natured idiocy does grow on you after a while. I'd be interested to know where the story idea came from because it's almost cynical in its simplicity. IDK how a modern sequel is gonna play, and atm I'm thinking probably like the recent Dumb and Dumber sequel.

Behind the Candalabra: Starring Michael Douglas and Matt Damon.

Chronicling the relationship between Liberace and Scott Thorson, this is a pretty gritty, dark, almost thoroughly unpleasant exercise in emotional violence. Knowing nothing about Liberace, I thought Michael Douglas gave one helluva transformative performance. This is one of those films that stuck with me for the rest of the night, and one that I worry may play into latent/learned homophobia with some viewers. There's absolutely nothing positive about the relationship between Liberace and Thorson depicted in the movie, from the very creepy, stalkerish beginnings to its manipulative ends. The ending, with Damon's Thorson imagining Liberace rising into Heaven, didn't make any sense to me considering all the hell the guy put him through. But the character that Douglas portrays is presented as a conniving, bullying, lustful, emotionally neglectful bastard. It's an awful relationship, and as a result the film watches like a two hour homophobic screed against love between two men by playing into stereotypes. I'm sure that wasn't the intent, but I can see people walking away from this movie feeling justified in their bigoted feelings.

2 hours ago, Donomark said:

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure: Amusing. It's a total cartoon with zero heft to it. I really didn't find it funny, but Bill and Ted's good-natured idiocy does grow on you after a while. I'd be interested to know where the story idea came from because it's almost cynical in its simplicity. IDK how a modern sequel is gonna play, and atm I'm thinking probably like the recent Dumb and Dumber sequel.

Was this your first viewing?

What did you feel about the use of The Other F-Word?

Basically this is a question for your show. How do we handle slurs, sexism, and other less-than-savory things in otherwise classic (or cult) movies?

8 hours ago, Donomark said:

Yesss, had never seen it before, like a number of 80s films.

You were born the year it came out, right?

It blows me mind that 1989 was 30 years ago. That makes me feel so old.  That was the year I got my first job, as a busboy for the local Big Boy.

16 hours ago, The Master said:

What did you feel about the use of The Other F-Word?

Basically this is a question for your show. How do we handle slurs, sexism, and other less-than-savory things in otherwise classic (or cult) movies?

That reminded me, and I think I told my girlfriend who was watching it with me the moment that scene came up, of the introduction to Jay and Silent Bob from Clerks.

"I hate guys. I LOVE WOMEN!"

It was a low point in a generally kid-friendly movie. And maybe there could still be gay panic jokes about insecure guys done today (certainly I'm not the one to say whether or not), but the use of that f-word was nevertheless unfortunate.

We actually did do an episode about "Problematic Faves" last year, but like all discussion topics it can easily be returned to for further and harder analysis. We kinda got caught up in indulging some of our favorites anyway.

Always Be My Maybe: Starring Ali Wong and Randall Park.

Similar to what Will had said, I went into this expecting an Asian-American version of a throwaway rom-com closer to the side of lame with humor found in any modern-day shitty comedy with white leads. There's a bit of that in this film, there's a lot of woke-awareness jokes that generally fall flat, but I was sympathizing with the two leads and quickly grew interested in seeing how they would turn out. It was a fairly sad story in the beginning.

Once Keanu Reeves pops up, the movie is set on fire. Every joke lands, and Reeves gives one of the best performances I've seen from him, as a NPH-esque jokey version of himself that's part d-bag/part internet boyfriend realization. He's A M A Z I N G, cracking me up with every line. The other three actors, Wong, Park and Vivienne Bang are equally hilarious throughout the entire scene. The rest of the movie stays strong with the pathos, and does a good job of making both characters flawed, and even unlikable in the case of Park, but never beyond the point of no return. The story is less about the romance and more about self-actualization, though there is the traditional Hollywood fairy-tale ending. But the entirety of the second act with Reeves automatically makes this the funniest film I've seen all year.

Dark Phoenix: Really enjoyed it.

No way is it near the best of the X-Men movies, but I don't see it close to being the worst either. CONS: Everything with Jessica Chastain sucks. The big events of the film including deaths should've carried a bit more seismic weight. The US turn on the X-Men over what amounts to two police cars getting tossed with little else justifying the mood switch, as the begin the movie loving the X-Men. Storm and Nightcrawler have little to do.

But just like I was hoping, this felt like a true X-Men story. I appreciated the smaller stakes, the character-driven angst. MacAvoy stole the show for me as a darker, more manipulative and ego-driven Xavier. I thought Nicholas Hoult was good with what he was given. I liked seeing more of a team dynamic with the X-Men in the middle part of the film. The action sequences all had enough intensity to keep me engaged as well. I recognize I'm a lone voice in the conversation, but I came away from this viewing smiling quite a bit. It's a few drafts away from being a much tighter, stronger movie, but for what I watched I got my money's worth.

Point Break: this is pure, perfect trash cinema. Davin loved it. 

Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: not bad. But it suffers from the exact problems the comic it's adapted from does. The boys seemed to enjoy it for the most part.

Features: 47