Every Film You've Watched in 2019

Missy

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Angel Has Fallen: It has nothing to do with the first two movies and might as well have been totally separate from them. I predicted the final confrontation between the hero and the final boss after the first act, even though it made absolutely no sense that the main villain would be doing what he was doing. Since we have no original thought in Hollywood, it played out exactly as the cliche suggests. And just like the previous movies, Banning is the only competent fighter in the entire U.S. government.

The action was mostly good, but there as one really obvious green screen effect that was hilarious.

Films Watched: 26.

Ready or Not: Gruesome and funny. I loved it. And Samara Weaving is incredibly charasmatic. Even though, she looks like the love child of Margot Robbie and Alexa Bliss, she managed to carve her own identity in this film, just based on screen prescence. 

4 hours ago, Preston said:

Ready or Not: Gruesome and funny. I loved it. And Samara Weaving is incredibly charasmatic. Even though, she looks like the love child of Margot Robbie and Alexa Bliss, she managed to carve her own identity in this film, just based on screen prescence. 

She's amazing in Mayhem and The Babysitter. Both fun, violent romps.

Justice League vs. Fatal Five: A lot of fun, but... A little too bloody. I had a similar complaint regarding Batman & Harley Quinn. I wish I could watch this with my kids, but...

Spoiler

Lots of people get impaled and one dude is shown with a face full of broken glass.

If this wasn't a DCAU movie, I would have less of a problem with it, because DC's other recent offerings are very clear in content. But it is at least in the DCAU style.

Films Watched: 27

Card Subject to Change - Extended Edition: this was a really solid documentary that covers a slice of indie wrestling from 2006-10. Lots of guys covered on the way down and up, but it's shocking to see how many of them are dead since this film was made. Check it out if you have Prime.

The Legend of the Stardust Brothers/Invisible Mother: films for the festival

Features: 98

Shorts: 15

Documentaries: 10

Rewatches: 6

11 hours ago, S-T said:

Justice League vs. Fatal Five: A lot of fun, but... A little too bloody. I had a similar complaint regarding Batman & Harley Quinn. I wish I could watch this with my kids, but...

Hide contents

Lots of people get impaled and one dude is shown with a face full of broken glass.

If this wasn't a DCAU movie, I would have less of a problem with it, because DC's other recent offerings are very clear in content. But it is at least in the DCAU style.

Films Watched: 27

I think your complaints are interesting, because the DCAU was never consistently kid-friendly. Not really. Unless you're counting Teen Titans (I wouldn't, personally), Static Shock or The Zeta Project, the Bruce Timm-produced shows have always skewed towards older audiences, despite being aimed at ten-year-olds. The New Batman Adventures mandated that it be a lighter, more kid-friendly show than B:TAS and demanded more Robin and Batgirl, but I'd argue that in terms of content it's a darker show. Batman Beyond was a second attempt by Kids WB to be a more kiddie show with a kid in the Batman suit, but even the crew behind the series admits that it's arguably the darkest of the DCAU. Justice League season one is generally kid-friendly, but you still have moments like Aquaman amputating himself to save his infant son. JL season 2 and all of JLU deal with heavy themes like fascist government and general murder. Shadow Thief breaks Green Lantern's arm on-screen in one episode, and Hro Talek break's John's fingers in another.

Now obviously these shows never struggled to hook kids. Hell, I've been watching them all throughout my childhood. So I do sympathize when going from the bulk of the DCAU to something aimed at adults like Batman and Harley or JL vs. Fatal Five. I'll admit it's odd seeing all the familiar faces in the latter, and have language like "goddamn" and people getting bloodily executed on-screen in the same setting. Personally, I figured that kind of stuff was going on anyway, as the shows rarely felt terribly censored for kids. But the disconnect is real, and while I can see all of it being part of the same canon, I sympathize when trying to keep things appropriate for your kids.

IT: the second film is in the local theatre this week, so I thought I'd test the waters with my sons on a rewatch of this to see if they wanted to go. Asked youngest first and he said no, so that's that. He wants to see it at home when it comes out. Which is fine for me, because I can pause it to get another drink or go to the bathroom. This one didn't hold up as much on a second watch. Skarsgaard is great as Pennywise though. The kids are pretty solid too.

Good Will Hunting: watched this last night and was floored at how amazing Robin Williams, Matt Damon and MInnie Driver all are.While the writing gets a little sanctimonious at times, the emotional core of those actors make this a great film.

Features: 100

Mystic River: Didn't know this was an Eastwood-directed film until I looked it up about halfway through. I did not give a FLYING fuck about anything that happened in this thing. Admittedly, a lot of the old "Boston has crime" setting type of stories has been done to death since 2003, but this just flashed over me. Not even Laurence Fishburne could really keep my interest. Sean Penn does a very good job, but, you know, he's an asshole so my investment went only so far. I do like seeing Kevin Bacon in things, but the overall story felt interminable and impressed with how interminable it was taking it's pace. The first solid 35 minutes are all blocked out for this murder that you know is going to happen if you're going into the film, there's no need to draw it out. Felt like a lesser version of Broadchurch. 

It: Chapter Two: I pretty much agree with the consensus that this movie isn’t nearly as good as the first one. The biggest problems, in my mind, are thus:

1) the contrived Native American stuff. As a white trans woman in America, I’m not really the most qualified person on Native subjects, so take what I’m saying with some salt. But like, you could’ve cut out the Native part of the Ritual of Chüd, replaced it with ‘some weirdo New England cultists made it’ and bam, no vaguely offensive Native stuff. 

2) this movie is somehow super rushed and also way too long. There’s a lot of really weird pacing issues that I don’t remember being in the first movie. Related, there’s waaaaayyyyy too many unnecessary flashbacks to the first one that should have been cut. 

3) look, I love nods to source material, but there were A Lot of unnecessary nods. I liked King’s cameo, I liked the little allusion to The Turtle, and a few other things, but fuck, you really had to include Beep Beep, Richie out of context? And also have one of the last shots be a reference to The Stand? And granted, I love The Stand, but like. You don’t need to do this, guys, King fans are already in the theater. 

Anyway, I really wanted to like this movie more. Bill Hader and the guys who played Eddie and Mike were fantastic, and the three minutes that adult Stan was on screen were good. I also liked the nod to The Thing, which I wasn’t really expecting, but still liked. But yeah, don’t watch this unless you’re a King fan like me, you’re gonna be disappointed. 

Films Watched: 37

Olympus has Fallen: (And it can't get up!) -- I saw this in the theater in 2013 and was disappointed. I have the same criticisms having watched it on Netflix recently. The action is really good, but I cannot take North Korea seriously as a threat. Especially since Kim Jong Un is lonely, so lonely, so lonely and sadly alone. The film hints that there is some sort of Fifth Column in the government that helped the North Koreans. How did they get an Air Force bomber? How did they know about Cerberus? How did they get access to that anti-aircraft gun so quickly?

I don't think once Banning told Speaker Trumbull to go **** himself, that he would be President Trumbull's top guy two movies later. But that's a continuity flaw for Angel has Fallen, so I can't hold that against OHF six years earlier.

Also congrats Trumbull on being the first Speaker of the House to become President since the early 1800's. 🙂

Films Watched: 28

Also, @Donomark is correct that the DCAU has always been a bit dark but it did not have people being graphically impaled, dead with a face full of broken glass and stuff like that. The deaths were very graphic. I don't mind gore, I don't mind it in the DC animated movies that have come out the last 6 or 7 years, but I thought it was too much for a DCAU cartoon.

To each his own. There's no right or wrong answer. Just my personal preference.

Bullets for Justice/To Your Last Death: features for the festival, but wow.

Natzee Zombie Carnage/Mr. Deviltree: other features for the festival

Between Two Ferns: not good. The blooper reel was funnier than the entire movie. Really> The chicken strip joke? What is this, 1965?

Features: 109

I have not been keeping up. I know there are movies that I'm forgetting.

Manos: The Hands of Fate: One of my favorite MST3k Episodes. Needed something while folding laundry.

Castle in the Sky: Is it Miyasaki;s best film? No but that doesn't change that it's a fun film and one of his most accessible.

Jupiter Ascending: Is it good? No but there's enough going for it that I can appreciate. It's visually interesting, it's just when plot happens that it starts... yeah...

Moulin Rouge: It's not bad but the massive moments of tonal shift can be disorienting.

Scream 2 (x2): For The Show.

Films: 94
Documentary: 1
MST3K/Rifftrax Assisted:
Repeats: 5

Drop Dead Gorgeous: Definitely an underrated film with a mostly female cast. More than a few young actresses before they became big.

A Simple Favor: Was not expecting to love this one as much as I did. A smart, darkly humorous thriller and well acted all around.

Most Likely To Murder: I like Adam Pally and Rachel Bloom.  I was hoping for something better than this. It was an alright comedy but a little too mean-spirited at times.

The Goonies: It's a childhood favorite. It mostly holds up.

Films: 98
Documentary: 1
MST3K/Rifftrax Assisted:
Repeats: 5

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure: I think I'm coming around on this film being perfect. Watched it again with the boys last night and we were all laughing our asses off. Also got the bonus fun of explaining what an Oedipal Complex is to my twelve year old this morning.

The Curse of Valburga: feature for the festival.

Features: 111