Every Film You've Watched in 2019

Missy

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Believe it or not these are all from the last four days, and I didn't watch anything yesterday. Might try and get another in tonight.

Harvest Lake/Borgman/Atomic Blonde: reviews forthcoming

Nail in the Coffin: The Fall and Rise of Vampiro/Rammstein: Paris: reviews forthcoming

The Pool: Cool premise. Stupid characters. Awful CGI crocodile.

1000 Eyes of Dr. Mabuse: Fritz Lang teaches a masterclass on editing in this one. Any other filmmaker would have made this 90 minute film into a two and a half hour snooze fest. Everything is so tight and moves at breakneck pace, but it still manages to slow down and show some amazingly quiet suspense.

Manriki/Beyond Hell/Stomach/Hunter's Moon/Fragmentary: features for the festival.

Features: 159

Shorts: 15

Documentaries: 13

Rewatches: 6

The Fear of Looking Up/Under ConTROLL/Await the Dawn/In their Eyes/Paranormal Systems/Live or Let Die/Survival Guid/Captain Jarvis and the Red Soda Kid/Fornacis/When the Fever Breaks/Lake Michigan Monster/Artik/Luz: The Flower of Evil/ Santet/Deathcember: features for the festival

Features: 174

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 2: Mostly just had it on because I was waiting for other people to show up for D&D.

The 12 Dates of Christmas: It's a cute Made-For-TV Christmas movie. It's a Groundhog Day loop film with a pretty set time frame. Not bad. It makes sense that this was one of the only ABC Family movies that came to Disney+.

The Night Before: Definitely one of my favorite Christmas films of the last few years. As a person who eschews Christmas with other people, who fully subscribes to chosen family, it definitely speaks to me.

Home Alone: I grew up with it. Its far from a perfect film but it's one that I return to every year because it's tradition.

Films: 176
Documentary: 1
MST3K/Rifftrax Assisted:
Repeats: 8

Star Wars: Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith: It's honestly not bad. Is it better 2/3rds of the original trilogy? No but I still had

Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Fairly decent. Abrams is Abrams more than a few times but the new cast is compelling as fuck!

Films: 178
MST3K/Rifftrax Assisted:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

I really need to read the "winter soldier" arc from the comics.

This is really good. It does drag a little bit but it is a great spy movie. Black Widow really shines here. It does seem strange that the next movie is Age of Ultron, and after Bucky was such an enormous part of this movie and Steve Rogers' overall storyline he is barely mentioned there.

The shaky cam was super annoying when I saw this in the cinema, to the point that I was getting a headache and I had to stare at the floor for a while. It is not nearly as annoying on a tablet or a TV.

Disney Plus is a treasure. I will almost certainly be watching most of the Marvel movies again.

Films Watched: 36

Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Depending on the day, I might call this the best in the series. There are just so many levels it works.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: I have thoughts. I'll put them in the thread later. Suffice to say, it's not my favorite Star Wars. It's not my least favorite.

Films: 180
MST3K/Rifftrax Assisted:

The Muppet Christmas Carol: On one hand, Disney+ has the home video version on the service. On the other, at least they have a widescreen version of When Love Is Gone as an extra.

Anna and the Apocalypse: It's a Christmas Horror Musical. What isn't there to love?

Films: 182
MST3K/Rifftrax Assisted:

Cats: On one hand, it's better than I was expecting. On the other, I was expecting a a vastly ineptly made train wreck. Instead, what I got was an ineptly made train wreck. It's a bad movie with a few catchy performances but I walked away wondering, "Why the hell?"

Films: 183
MST3K/Rifftrax Assisted:

Long Shot: not bad. I never saw the trailer, just heard the premise, not the whole premise. I was surprised that this wasn't JUST a movie about a normal guy and supernaturally hot woman. Decent date movie.

Late Night: You can tell that Mindy Kaling really loves Emma Thompson, and you can't blame her. This feels very autobiographical and I appreciated it. The Mindy show never hit me because I couldn't give a shit about an upscale office of bumbling idiot gynaecologists. This was good. Emma Thompson is incredible. So is John Lithgow. Hugh Dancy was great to see too.

Are We Not Cats/Darling: reviews forthcoming 

Godzilla: King of the Monsters: review forthcoming

Features: 179

Slay Belles: It's a fairly amusing Christmas Horror Movie. It has a hick Santa, the Krampus, and some bad ass women.

A Bad Moms Christmas: I enjoyed the original. This one was a little less enjoyable though the older actresses definitely did bring something interesting to the proceedings.

Same Place, Next Christmas: ABC's attempt at making a Hallmark Film is alright. Far from a terrible film but still unremarkable.

Beauty and The Beast: The Enchanted Christmas: It's not great but it has a few highlights in the middle of the many lowlights.

Babes in Toyland: The one from the 80s is really weird. Like super extra weird.

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York: Kevin has had a year to think on the fact that he could have died and two men should have died by his hands. He isn't putting up with his family's shit anymore. He commits Credit Card fraud. He's a lot more harsh in his attempts to kill The Sticky Bandits. Kevin is well on his way to becoming Jigsaw.

Films: 189
MST3K/Rifftrax Assisted:

Ready or Not: Fun movie. The ending... was kinda strange. They did foreshadow the supernatural element but not enough to justify the way the family was dispatched, in my opinion.

My two problems with it:

Spoiler

The main character suffered some catastrophic injuries, especially a half-dollar sized bullet hole through her left hand. She really should have sold that more.  I have the world's lowest pain tolerance, so my perspective is a bit skewed, but that's still a tremendous amount of pain to endure.

and...

Spoiler

The husband's heel turn was not set up well. He promises to kill his mother if his wife dies, and then turns on his wife after a totally justifiable self-defense killing of his mother.

Good movie overall. Definitely would recommend a rental.

I thought the lead actress looks a lot like Margot Robbie, but definitely see the resemblance to Alexa Bliss after @Preston's post earlier in this thread.

Films Watched: 37

Miracle on 34th Street: The original. One of my two favorite Christmas movies. It's just so charming and sincere in what it is.

A Christmas Story: This is my go to Christmas movie for when I have other things I feel like doing. It's not bad, it just kind of is that movie that I can easily tune-out while working on stuff.

Santa Claus: The Mexican Christmas film, the MST3K version. One of my favorites because the film is just so absurd, the riffs are all on point, and it just all works.

The Nightmare Before Christmas: This year, its a Christmas movie. I'll decide what it is again next year.

A Rocky Mountain Christmas: It's this weird Dolly Parton film from the 80s. It has orphans, Lee Majors, and a witch with big hair named Jezebel. How can I not love it?

Christmas Vacation: My other favorite Christmas film. I've said a lot about it in the past. It's one of the two Christmas movies that really hit me in the feels every year (The Night Before is the other one). It speaks to this Melancholy I always have by the end of Christmas every year.

Films: 194
MST3K/Rifftrax Assisted:

Fyre: The Greatest Party that Never Happened: Documentary on the infamous Fyre Festival bust that Ja Rule hilariously attatched his name to. You just feel so bad for the workers who were duped into committing to this shit by Billy McFarland.

Your Name.: Like Moonlight, this had been on my to-view list for a while. A wonderful story about human connection. I saw the dub and it took me about a third of the way through before I pegged Dean Venture as Taki.

Uncle Drew: dumb and fails that it's cast with athletes and not comedic actors. This is the ultimate example of a meme that became a movie and it sucks. But, good lord, am I in love with Tiffany Haddish? Yes, yes I am.

Ted: I never thought I would say this, but one of the best fight scenes of the past ten years was a man and a CGI teddy bear in a  hotel. Honestly, Family Guy comedy works better asw a movie than it does a nonstop pukefest of stupid bro-shit on a  TV show.

Paperhouse/Blood Punch/Starfish: reviews forthcoming

Old School: Doesn't hold up completely, but still tons of laughs. 

Features: 185

Phineas and Ferb The Movie: Across the 2nd Dimension: Got bored and couldn't find anything too interesting so there this on in the background. It wasn't too bad.

Films: 196
MST3K/Rifftrax Assisted:

Final Count: 217

Final Thoughts: I wasn't expecting to hit 200 this year but here we are. A combination of Disney+, Halloween, and Christmas really put things over. Honestly, I'm more excited for a New Year so I can watch a movie without having to try to remember if I'd watched it yet this year.

• Missy locked this topic