Every Film You've Watched in 2019

Missy

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Guardians/The Abominable Dr. Phibes: reviews forthcoming.

A Quiet Place: this was exceptionally well-acted and wonderfully set directed with some genuinely solid scares. The story is EXTREMELY light and the ending is very unsatisfying. Still, I'd like to see more of Krasinski's work in the horror genre. And I want to see more Emily Blunt. Period.

Features: 11

Shorts: 0

Documentaries: 1

Rewatches: 0

On 1/27/2019 at 6:46 PM, The Master said:

The scene of The Flash roasting Batman during the Justice League meeting is pure comedy gold. Reign of the Supermen has another scene like that, but this time Batman is in on a joke with Hal.

That scene was really funny, and chemistry shown between the Leaguers like that is sorely missing in...all of its incarnations. And this was earned since this animated version has been around for several years.

Vice: I saw this about a week ago. Bale's performance is, far and away, the best thing about it. Aside from the first few early scenes where he's recognizably Christian Bale, he totally chameleons his way into Cheney's essence. But this movie's too indulgent in being liberal doggy chow to be wholly successful IMO. My political POV is definitely aligned with it, but in trying to be halfway a comedy it feels like it just borrows tropes from other films to frame a familiar narrative for a bad guy instead of something that, if not more nuanced would at least be more interesting. For example, I don't know how Donald Rumsfeld is supposed to be in real life but in the movie Steve Carrell portrays him like a one-dimensional crass asshole. And maybe he was, but because the film doesn't give you any other inkling than that, it becomes hard to take in what's presented as ideally realistic. Oliver Stone's Nixon this ain't, and the mid-credits sequence was just baffling. It's a good movie, but not a great one.

Breakin': A 1984 Canon film about breakdancers fighting for legitimacy in a world more interested in "professional" dancing. My girlfriend's favorite movie. It is CHEESY AS HELL. The acting is almost as bad as the writing. But it's so foolishly earnest than you can't not enjoy it on a camp level, even if the story is cliche'd as hell.

In my never-ending attempt at catching up on Dread Media,  I took a minor pause because I saw what was the next review and I had to watch.  Space Babes From Outer Space.  With a title like that, how can I not?  Space Babes?  Nah.  Babes From Outer Space?  Nah.  Space Babes From Outer Space?  Watching that.  And I was disappointed.  I don't know if it was really just that bad or if it was not bad enough.  What I do know is that it missed that sweet spot in the middle for me.

1 hour ago, Professor said:

In my never-ending attempt at catching up on Dread Media,  I took a minor pause because I saw what was the next review and I had to watch.  Space Babes From Outer Space.  With a title like that, how can I not?  Space Babes?  Nah.  Babes From Outer Space?  Nah.  Space Babes From Outer Space?  Watching that.  And I was disappointed.  I don't know if it was really just that bad or if it was not bad enough.  What I do know is that it missed that sweet spot in the middle for me.

I'd agree with that summation. It's my least favourite of that film troupe.

Beetlejuice: It's almost unbelievable that Michael Keaton is in only 30 minutes of the film.

Hereditary: I kinda dragged my feet on seeing this. Toni Collette is freaking awesome in the film and it's atmospheric and heartbreaking at the same time.

Groundhog Day: Because what else am I going to watch on February 2nd?

Films: 7
MST3K/Rifftrax Assisted: 2

The Fantastic Four (1994): This absolute trainwreck is so much fun and no one can convince me otherwise.

Fantastic Four (2005): The four leads are great, especially Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis, but it's a very middle-of-the-road superhero film.

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer: Oof! This movie is all over the place. Up to and including the wedding, everyone looks tired and bored. The middle bit, up to capturing the Surfer, is just boring. Then it finally picks up for the last 15-ish minutes. I will say, it's good to see Reed actually have a character this time around, and Johnny's fear of change comes through well. But Ben is sidelined and given no story, and Sue is like the story: all over the place. For that I do not blame Alba. She can only do so much with what they gave her.

Midnight Run: This movie is so damn good, and it holds up unbelievably well. The dialogue between Jack and Jonathan is perfectly crafted and delivered. You can tell some scenes are ad libbed, too. And it really shows how funny De Niro is. If you haven't seen Midnight Run, do yourself a favor and block out two hours for it.

Re-watched The Incredibles. I wanted to refresh my memory on this one before I watch the sequel.

• Very interesting that the opening is so similar to Marvel's Civil War.

• Mr. Incredible works for Evil Insurance Corp but is safe from Jigsaw because he goes out of his way to approve claims.

• Mr. Incredible should be in prison for crippling and nearly killing his boss at Evil Insurance Corp. The brutality of his attack is really shocking. This is basically an attempted murder. How is he a good guy again? This is not a nitpick. This is downright villainous behavior.

• There is a LOT of death in this film. Finding Gazerbeam's corpse was creepy. Maybe I notice these things more in kids movies now that I have kids, but wow is this violent.

Overall, a lot of fun.

Films Watched: 4

Scooby-Doo and the Curse of the 13th Ghost: I am a big fan of The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo and I'm glad to have some resolution after all these years. It also helps that Daphne and Fred both get some major characterization in this one.

Happy Death Day: I wrote this off when it came out as just another cheap slasher. I'm glad so many people told me how good it was. I enjoyed myself greatly!

Films: 9
MST3K/Rifftrax Assisted: 2

14 hours ago, S-T said:

Also, having a grown man punch a small child in the face? Even one with superpowers? Not cool.

I like that about the film. It goes out of its way to portray the villains as utterly, believably ruthless. Brad Bird said that the movie isn't a "kid's movie" or one strictly for children, it's intended for all ages. 

The Birdcage: I needed a Robin Williams fix, so I fired this one up on Netflix. Holy shit this is even more problematic than I remembered. While there are some wonderful performances buried in here -- such as Armand telling Val he's worked too hard to toss himself back into the closet, and Albert's "you both hate me" moment -- this movie is filled to the brim with racism, Antisemitism, and of course homophobia. It's 1996, so they weren't going to truly address real issues pertaining to homosexual families and the LGBTQ+ community, but in some ways they made matters worse. And Val has to be one of the worst characters of all time. I honestly don't know if I'll ever come back to The Birdcage.

Beverly Hills Cop: wanted to watch something completely not connected to research or podcast reviews or whatever and thought this would be good. Man, it isn't great. Murphy is just playing off of his own popularity, so there's no character there. The acting is pretty terrible in general (whoever thought Judge Reinhold was a good idea for anything?) and it isn't very funny. Except for one scene where Murphy is freaking out at a hotel front desk. The dialogue isn't funny, just the performance. That's about the only time. Give this a pass. Watch 48 Hours instead.

Features: 14

Shorts: 0

Documentaries: 1

Rewatches: 0