Missy

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, slothian said:

He's also hilarious in Trainwreck. Him and Daniel Radcliffe's dogwalking movie.

Given how autobiographical Train Wreck is, I think his character is meant to be a dig at Nick Nemeth/Dolph Ziggler, who dated Schumer. 

17 hours ago, Preston said:

Given how autobiographical Train Wreck is, I think his character is meant to be a dig at Nick Nemeth/Dolph Ziggler, who dated Schumer. 

Whilst I knew the Ziggler trivia, I didn't make the connection - that's pretty damn great casting!

Ant-Man and The Wasp: A fun if scattered movie. It's a PG-13 Deadpool in its silliness and action beats and some of the digital effects seemed to come straight out of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2's third act, but there's nothing wrong with that. With this one finally seen, I only have one more unseen Marvel movie to go.

Tommy Boy: watched this with my sons last night and I have to say it not only doesn't hold up, it's kind of barren of jokes. The film relies heavily on Farley's physical comedy (of which he's a fucking genius) but then doesn't offer much in that category. There's several scenes where you wonder why it even exists. The thing in the hotel with the hot woman by the pool for example. Farley walks past her and gives a line that isn't funny but for his delivery (I say this as a guy who almost laughs every time he sees Chris Farley) and then a really lame dead fish masturbation joke seconds later my grade school friends and I could surely have workshopped ten better examples of. It's disappointing and I kind of wish I'd left it alone. Now, do I watch Black Sheep?

Features: 35

Shorts: 15

Documentaries: 5

Rewatches: 4

Avengers: Infinity War: It's better than I felt it was after I first saw it last year. I still say it plays like a big Marvel comic book

Antman & The Wasp: Fun movie if a little irreverent.

The Incredibles 2:  It's not the original which is it's biggest crime I guess. It's not a bad movie but parts feel like its treading the same ground as the original.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding: I have no clue why I decided to watch this but I did. It's not a bad little romcom.

Justice League vs The Fatal Five: It was nice seeing the old DCAU animation style and the return of the voice actors from JL and JLU was very nice. I wasn't expecting a story about dealing with mental illness and trauma though. Fairly good.

Films: 58
MST3K/Rifftrax Assisted: 2

Rewatching Infinity War and viewing the commentary this week made me like it a lot more. It's far better balanced tonally than I gave it credit for. I don't have any complaints.

Gonna give Endgame a second watch before I rate it better. MCU films always are clearer in my head with second viewings.

Fracture: With Anthony Hopkins and Ryna Gosling from 2007. Moderately interesting courtroom thriller that loses luster at the halfway mark when it devolves from anything truly intriguing into a macho battle of masculine wits. Hopkins is playing every smug, three-steps-ahead villain ever with no real meat or nuance. Gosling is solid but the character is also fairly cliche'd. Rosamund Pike was slumming it in this film, but this was before her career really blew up.

Avengers: Endgame: the problems are the same with the film's predecessor. This is a film of moments, but good luck trying to piece together the plot. I think somewhere between the two films there's a really great three hour epic, but this isn't it. I hated the time travel shit. Hated it. That said, the moments that were captured, particularly two with Captain America, were pretty excellent. Interested to see where the MCU goes from here, but pretty certain I'll never watch this one again. Question:

at Tony's funeral, the camera pans to everyone, but before it lights on Danvers and Fury it passes by an older teenage boy, is that the kid from Iron Man 3?

Features: 36

Suspiria: The 2018 remake. I'm still not sure how I feel. It's definitely a good example of how to do a remake: Taking the general idea of the original film and making it into your own work. I think I loved it though it felt like they could have cut about 10-20 minutes in there. Also, Tilda Swinton should have totally gotten a nomination for her work here playing three different characters. Hell, the Make-up itself deserved a nomination.

The Losers: Dumb fun. Chris Evans is good in nearly anything.

Veronica Mars: Getting ready for season 4. It works.

The Stepford Wives: Everyone here knows I love bad movies. This is one of those movies that are bad that I can't bring myself to love or even like but I still find myself watching every so often. I don't get it either.

Films: 63
MST3K/Rifftrax Assisted: 2

Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan: a.k.a. Jason spends 80 minutes "taking" a graduation cruise and then 20 minutes "taking a Manhattan that looks a lot like Vancouver. Man, other than  the amazing Jason vs. Julius the boxer fight, this is a really fucking snooze. An almost bloodless and ultimately tame beyond reason instalment in the series.

Tales form the Crypt: Demon Knight: review forthcoming.

Features: 38