Marvel and Activision extend deal to 2017

Missy

Activision's Spidey & X-Men Rights Extended

Source: Marvel Entertainment, Inc., Activision, Inc.

November 11, 2005

Activision, Inc. and Marvel Entertainment, Inc. jointly announced today that the companies have expanded their long-term, broad-based strategic alliance by signing a multi-year extension to their current video game licensing agreements for the "Spider-Man" and "X-Men" franchises through 2017. This agreement replaces all previous agreements between the companies.

Under the terms of the agreement, Activision has extended its exclusive worldwide publishing rights to two of Marvel's most renowned comic book properties for interactive entertainment software products for console, PC and handheld platforms. The original agreements were set to expire in 2009. Activision's "Spider-Man" and the "X-Men" video games rank among the company's most successful franchises, having sold more than 25 million units across all platforms to date.

"This announcement further underscores the strength of our relationship with Marvel and reinforces our leadership position in the superhero genre," states Mike Griffith, President and CEO, Activision Publishing, Inc. "'Spider-Man' and the 'X-Men' are two of the most popular entertainment franchises today and some of the most coveted characters in interactive entertainment. This agreement will allow us to continue developing exceptional games based on these legendary characters well into the future."

Tim Rothwell, Worldwide President, Consumer Media Group, Marvel Entertainment, added, "The interactive entertainment category continues to be one of Marvel's key strategic categories. Expanding our partnership with Activision, a leader in the video game industry, further ensures that our characters will continue to be among the elite and dominant interactive franchises for the next decade and beyond."

Bruno Maglione, President, Marvel International, commented, "Activision is one of a handful of players who can truly execute worldwide in this business. 'Spider-Man' and 'X-Men' are major global franchises. Because of this, it is always critical for us to partner with companies committed to maximizing success internationally. Activision's results on a worldwide scale with these brands demonstrated to us that they can and will continue to do that."

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, in Act 4 during the morlock tunnels mission the game crashes and freezes, one of my friend has the exact same error and I have found people on the net with the same error. Apparently its a rare error and its been fixed on the PC version but the console versions shouldn't have game ending bugs.

Activision have tried to convince me that my save game is corrupt but thats B.S. I can still play all the other missions available and if the save game was corrupt then it wouldn't load in the first place.