Every film you've watched in 2020

Missy

Daniel Isn't Real: An okay film but I'm rather meh on it. It has moments of trying to be Fight Club but it also has some stuff that comes out of nowhere and just doesn't work with the tone set up at the beginning.

Fun and Fancy Free: Disney kept on doing package films in the 50s. Mickey and the Beanstalk is fun enough while the other, Bongo, is pretty meh. The connecting scenes are pretty meh also.

Monster-a-go-go: Watched some MST3k this afternoon. The film itself is an unfinished mess that never goes anywhere and has a non-twist at the end that's pretty bad.

Manos: The Hands of Fate: It's a classic bad movie. I've watched it dozens of times. The riffing is the only thing that makes it tolerable.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood: So... I'm not sure what to think here. Brad Pitt does a great job, definitely earned his Oscar. As much as I dig Margot Robbie in the film, you could have cut her role back and nothing would have been lost. For that matter, Tarantino could have cut around a half hour from the film and nothing would have been lost. The fact that there's an extended version just boggles my mind!

Films: 43
Mst3k/Rifftrax/Other Assisted: 8

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Donomark said:

Brad Pitt's an entertaining actor, but that is not the role I would've given him an Oscar for. I thought Leo did more of the heavy lifting when it comes to giving a performance.

Yeah, this felt like "we didn't give him an Oscar for Benjamin Button/Moneyball, it's his turn".

Fair enough. It just felt to me like he had the most interesting scenes of anyone in the film outside of Leo during the Lancer sequence. But yeah, like 20% of all Oscars, it was likely more a Psuedo-Lifetime Achievement Oscar than one for what he actually did.

The Incredible Hulk: Norton isn't a terrible Bruce Banner but this definitely feels like the MCU stuff got grafted onto an existing script and the fact that it has all but been dragged out of continuity might be why I had to go out of my way to find it online.

Yours, Mine, and Ours: I really haven't seen Lucille Ball in that much outside of I Love Lucy so I figured sure. It's a cute film.

Thor: I sometimes think I don't give this one enough credit. Does it get dull at times? Yeah but Branagh is trying to do something interesting. Also, it's weird to have a credits song in a Marvel film that's not Guardians.

Films: 46
Mst3k/Rifftrax/Other Assisted: 8

Like I was saying with Hulk, there is a real feel that the larger MCU elements were kind of grafted into an existing script. I'm probably going to watching Captain America before the week is out so it'll be interesting checking out the production on that one to see if it's similar in how it was handled.

Horse Girl: I could watch Alison Brie craft for 90 minutes and be happy. That's kind of what happens in this movie. Also, she goes nuts. It's ok. Molly Shannon is, as always, a delight.

Stuck/White God: reviews forthcoming

• Features: 34
  • Shorts: 2
  • Documentaries: 4
  • Rewatches: 1

Big Business: Bette Midler and Lilly Tomlin basically play two different roles as two sets of twins. It's a fun enough film. One of the Bette Midler's has a gay couple as her minions which is something young me never picked up on.

Troop Beverly Hills: It's basically Bad New Bears only with Girl Scouts. It's a cute film and Shelly Long does a pretty good job of it!

The Wild, Wild World of Batwoman: Someone decided, "Hey, that Batman show is big. Why don't we make a knock-off film starring a woman and she has a ton of girls that work for her with a mad scientist who has a pill that makes people dance! Also, we need to hire girls so why don't we just hire the strippers at the bar that got shut down. Oh, DC Comics is sueing us. Well, we might actually win that court case. We won." Seriously, the production of this thing is more interesting than the actual movie.

Films: 48
Mst3k/Rifftrax/Other Assisted: 9

Cave Dwellers: A Conan Knock-off. It's a thing.

Captain America: The First Avenger: One of the things I enjoyed about the early MCU films is that they all seemed to try to be very different kinds of films. We have a World War II action film this time. It works pretty well for what it is though the Skinny Cap at the beginning is still a bit disarming.

Geography Club: Cute coming of age film that has some problems here and there.

Films: 50
Mst3k/Rifftrax/Other Assisted: 10

The Sinister Urge: An Ed Wood film about cops trying to shut down a ponography ring or something like that. Everyone is terrible in the film so it's kind of hard to care about anyone.

Prince of Space: A black and white Japanese Sci-Fi film about aliens invading and one of the most over-powered protagonists in any film I can remember. Hilarious on it's own, better with MST3k.

Films: 50
Mst3k/Rifftrax/Other Assisted: 12

Transformers: The Bayformers films have not aged well. At all! Still, I will say that I appreciate Megan Fox more in the film than I used to.  This is still the least bad of the them but that's like saying something is the least painful major surgery you've had.

Kill Bill Vol. 1: The better of the two parts. Most of the set pieces work pretty well and, having watched a bootleg of The Whole Bloody Affair, I do kind of prefer the stylistic choices of the censorship in this one over the actual version.

Kill Bill Vol. 2: While it's not as good as part 1, Uma definitely should have been nominated for this one.

Films: 53

Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat Annihilation: Both were hilarious and a ton of fun, but I think I liked the latter half of the first and the first half of the sequel the best. Neither of them are good movies but they really capture the games well. I honestly don't think the second deserves the trashing it got, it's about as entertaining as the first, with the added bonus of not having as much exposition in the way. 

Setting aside Shang Tsung, Johnny Cage is the definite standout from the first, while Jax was the highlight from Annihilation. It's a shame that Johnny Cage wasn't around for the second, I think he, Jax and Sonya could've been a great team. Oddly enough, I think the second one had better staged fight scenes, as I found the first to be a little awkward.

Really looking to the upcoming reboot movie.

Brightburn: I liked this a lot and highly recommend this super hero horror. The mom seemed way too slow to catch on to what was happening but in real life I have seen parents who have denied their perfect little angels were actually brats despite ample evidence. I will definitely be checking out the Dread Media review of the film.

Films Watched: 14

Going thru the larger stack of DVDs I bought and never watched.

Machete - Great stupid fun as always.  The fake De Niro political ads are a little too real these days tho.

V for Vendetta - Hadn't watched this in well over a decade now.  Don't think it lived up to the memory.  And it is a way longer film than I think was needed.  Also, I forgot a part of the plot which, given current events, took me out of the film for a minute.

Falling Down: They remade this as a comedy 6 years later and called it Office Space. PC Load letter? What does that mean?

All joking aside, I saw this in the theater when it came out. I am not sure what the point of this film is. It is very strange. It is almost like they want you to sympathize with the main character, especially with the ending, but he is clearly a very disturbed man. D-Fens seems to be very racist, so I wonder if the scene where he kills the Nazi was added in to make him not as bad?

Films Watched: 15

A Goofy Movie: I never realized that Goody's last name is Goof and "Goofy" is just a nickname. Oh yeah, and the film is pretty fun also.

Satanic Panic: A fairly decent horror comedy that slightly messes up the landing but still always interesting.

Films: 56

23 hours ago, Dread said:

Office Space: watched this with the boys and it holds up. Shockingly. It's a great comedy.

I got a red Swingline stapler for Christmas a few years ago and it is sitting on my desk at work.

Beverly Hills Cop: I was into this more for the serious acting and plot than the comedy. It's a funny movie, but far less of a goofy laugh riot than I was led to believe. Eddie Murphy's really a very good actor, and all of the scenes where he was pissed off or acting genuine hooked me far more than his comedic gags, which were for the most part still funny. I also liked how super competent he was throughout.