Missy

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 8/29/2020 at 1:11 PM, The Master said:

Also, Daniel's new female friend is threatened with gang rape. So that's fucking awful.

I had no memory of that, and I guess I interpreted it as they were going to beat her to a pulp too, but after watching a clip on YouTube I can definitely see that.

They should have left the threat with Sean Kanan's line and not had the other bully laugh and say "now you're talking!"

Also, because of Mike's post, I have now started watching Kobra Kai on Netflix.

Yu-Gi-Oh: The Movie: Is it good? Oh fuck, no. Is it fun? Kinda, yeah.

Hot Fuzz: Act 3 of the film is a practically perfect action film. Everything else is great but damn if the last half hour isn't fucking amazing!

The Babysitter: It's a fun horror comedy, kinda looking forward to the sequel later this week.

Doctor Strange: Still a visually interesting Marvel film. Still mostly uninteresting on the whole though.

Films: 114
Documentaries: 1

Rewatches: 1
Mst3k/Rifftrax/Other Assisted: 14

Wet Hot American Summer: The cast in this one is just stacked. Bradley Cooper, Paul Rudd, Amy Poehler, etc. It's just a funny parody of Camp Films from the 80s and works so well.

D2: The Mighty Ducks: It's just a fun, I've had a couple of drinks and want to enjoy something movie.

The Babysitter: Killer Queen: Not quite as good as the original and it makes the timeline a little wonky but still some good kills and some good acting.

Scream: I was really drunk and riding the high from Neve having signed to be in Scream 5 so yeah.

Films: 117

Rewatches: 2

Rookie of the Year - Finally clicked why I like this the least of the kid baseball movies.  And I quote everyone I met in Chicago when I went to see a Reds game in Wrigley, "Fuck the Cubs".

Dealt - A documentary about card magician Richard Turner.  He just happens to be blind.  I was familiar with him from Penn & Teller's Fool Us and YouTube.  But this has little to do with his magic, and more to do with his relationship with blindness.  Can't say I was all that interested after a while.  Really repetitive in the storytelling.  Probably would have been a solid 45 minutes, and not the full 90.

We Summon the Darkness:reviewed on this week's episode. Regardless of how good it is, it gets the Daddario bump.

Babysitter: Killer Queen: probably reviewing this soon, but Will ain't wrong.

Bill Burr Walk Your Way Out: It wasn't lighting me on fire, but the second half is VERY strong. Some of the best of Burr's work, IMO.

• Features: 83
  • Shorts: 2
  • Documentaries: 12
  • Rewatches: 3

The Old Guard: Charlize Theron became one of best action stars of the 21st century so gradually that I didn't really notice it until now. Its just stunning that she can slide out of a film about immortal soldiers to playing Megyn Kelly. Also, bravo for having an action film featuring a prominent and badass gay couple! I really hope they get a sequel.

Justice League Dark: Apokolips War: If I'm being 100% honest: I didn't much care for this movie. Some of the voice acting is very strong but so much of the film was needlessly violent that it took me out of it and the ending is a total cop-out, just the punctuation on how utterly pointless this film was.

Films: 119

Rewatches: 2

Honey Boy: Shia Labouf wrote a movie about his relationship between him and his dad during his days as a child actor, and a second timeline of the fallout of such an existence.And he's playing his father. Lucas Hedges is playing grown up him and it really feels like he's doing a bit of an impression. Still pretty great though.  On top of headlining two of my favourite movies of the year, he's really stepped up front as a great actor and filmmaker. The ending is a little abrupt, but a beautiful film nonetheless.

• Features: 84

Red Dragon: I saw this in the theaters when I was like 17, and I don't think I've seen it since. I really liked it then, times change. Since then, uh, Hannibal happened. 

I don't want to say that Hopkins' Lectern seems like a caricature of a pervert played in the broadest strokes possible compared to Mikkelson, but the thought occured. 

I don't know if another movie exists that is so incompetently designed and directed, but forced into some sort of cohesion by a bunch of really really good actors. 

Ralph Fiennes, Emma Watson, Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Harvey Keitel are all busting their asses here, swimming against the current of Brett Ratner's directorial ineptitude. 

Edward Norton is... fine, I guess. Norton is a very strong actor who's well cast, but it also seems like he couldn't give a shit. 

And Hannibal. 

I'm not going to compare Hopkins and Mikkelson further, it's apples and oranges. I recently sat down and watched Silence of the Lambs, and while Hopkins still has the edge of a pedophile with sweets in his pocket, his performance is miles more nuanced. Here, he's chewing the scenery like his life depends on it. It's... not his best work.

Beyond the acting, there are some baffling choices from the DOP and hair and makeup.

This is not a good movie. 

4 hours ago, Molly said:

Red Dragon: I saw this in the theaters when I was like 17, and I don't think I've seen it since. I really liked it then, times change. Since then, uh, Hannibal happened. 

I don't want to say that Hopkins' Lectern seems like a caricature of a pervert played in the broadest strokes possible compared to Mikkelson, but the thought occured. 

I don't know if another movie exists that is so incompetently designed and directed, but forced into some sort of cohesion by a bunch of really really good actors. 

Ralph Fiennes, Emma Watson, Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Harvey Keitel are all busting their asses here, swimming against the current of Brett Ratner's directorial ineptitude. 

Edward Norton is... fine, I guess. Norton is a very strong actor who's well cast, but it also seems like he couldn't give a shit. 

And Hannibal. 

I'm not going to compare Hopkins and Mikkelson further, it's apples and oranges. I recently sat down and watched Silence of the Lambs, and while Hopkins still has the edge of a pedophile with sweets in his pocket, his performance is miles more nuanced. Here, he's chewing the scenery like his life depends on it. It's... not his best work.

Beyond the acting, there are some baffling choices from the DOP and hair and makeup.

This is not a good movie. 

Hannibal is a shitty book to begin with - Harris buys into the success of the Silence of the Lambs film adaptation, and basically goes nuts. Terrible, indulgent story and I have to assume the movie is bollocks too. If it was half-decent, you would assume that Jodie Foster would reprise her Oscar-winning role, but clearly it wasn't.

The biggest problem is that in the 8 Years between the release of Silence The Film and Hannibal The Novel is that Hannibal Lecter had become a meme. I was a kid who never saw Silence and even I knew where the Fava Beans line came from. The Simpsons could randomly makes a joke and it made sense. Hannibal in the Novel had to reflect Hannibal in the movie now so we got a caricature of Anthony Hopkins playing a version of a character from a novel. So, when Hannibal the Movie comes out, we have Anthony Hopkins literally playing an adaptation of a caricature of himself. It's obvious that he's in this because they gave him a buttload of money because he has none of the nuance of how he played it before. He's leaning full into the camp but it never works because Ridley Scott is directing everyone to play everything straight. Julianne Moore is an actress who can rarely do wrong but Hannibal is the closest she gets because it's obvious that she's trying to borrow from Jodie Foster in Silence. The only thing that Hannibal the Movie does is not use that god-awful ending from the novel. Well, most of it. Ray Liotta still eats his own brain.

Honestly, the smartest thing that Bryan Fuller ever did was decide to take as little from the movies as he could.

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood -  I got what I expected going in.  That is to say a movie about dealing with emotions and compassion.  Tom Hanks killed it as you knew he would.  But he wasn't the main character of the story, which I think was for the best.  This was never meant to be about Mr. Rogers (even tho the trailers heavily implied it was).  While I enjoyed it, I do think it went a bit '4th wall-y' in places.  But it also used model cities for transitions, which I loved.  The documentary was better insight into Fred Rogers, but this was a nice side companion piece.

After reading some reviews, it seems like those who didn't grow up with Mr. Rogers had a vastly different opinion than those who did. 

Thor Ragnarok: having watched it again, I'm certain it is the most comic bookish of all the MCU films. It takes Planet Hulk, Contest of Champions and about seven separate Thor storylines and combines them into a fun movie that moves at a great clip. Solid.

• Features: 85

The Hurricane Heist - I wanted stupid fun.  It is about a heist during a hurricane.  That screams stupid fun.  The trailer even blasts Rock You Like A Hurricane while spewing horrible taglines.  This was just bad.  Uninteresting and worse, just plain boring.  And no Scorpions in sight.  Took itself way too serious.

Peppermint - About as standard a shoot-em-up revenge film as you can get.

Rocky - Not exactly sure what to think.  First time watching, yet I knew 75% of this movie (via general pop culture really).  A bit of a problem I have with most classics: if I know the ending, I get uninterested easily. 

Rewatched Clerks for the first time in a long while. Man is this an artifact of mid-90s GenX life. Whiners, slackers, sexual experimentation, and a shocking amount of "casual" homophobia. Despite the clunky dialogue and early days Kevin Smith directing, it holds up as a tale of a young man who can't get his shit together.

My takeaway, though, is who's the real protagonist? Dante is trying to rekindle an old relationship while slut-shaming his current girlfriend, Randal is an asshole, and Caitlin is stringing two men along. Veronica is the only one who comes close to being the real protagonist -- in that she wants her life, as well as Dante's, to grow -- but she gets physically violent with her boyfriend after he admits he's slept with 11 women before her.

I think Smith was flexing off a real Indie Comic Dan Clowes kind of vibe where he didn't see a problem with having a strictly unimpeachable character. He also didn't think there was much of a deal with Veronica walloping Dante at the end. IDK, I take your points but Smitch was 24/25 and this was such a different time back then. 

Rewatching it a few months back, it did strike me for the first time how whiny and self-centered Dante was. Before then, I always figured him for the overall mature one and Randall's rant at the end to not be meaningless but un-accentuated by Dante's own behavior. He was way less likable when I last watched. I still like him okay, but just barely. 

Clerks hit home media in 1995, and I saw it right away thanks to a friend. We were both 17 at the time. He was Randal and I was Dante in so many ways. He worked odd jobs to make money, never caring if he got fired. I had been at Arby's for about a year at that point, and had frequent on-again / off-again relationships with two women in particular. Both of whom were awful for me, and me for them. So Clerks felt so real. So honest. Even though the characters were five years older than me at the time, living lives I had yet to get to, I could see future reflections of them in us. In that way, Smith was absolutely nailed his initial look into the View Askewniverse.

For all of my ongoing frustration with Smith, I can't ever totally get down on Clerks. I saw it in its theatrical release over a dozen times and it's no exaggeration to say it changed the way I interact with film forever. I was 20 and this was the first movie I had ever seen that depicted people my age taking and acting the way I and everyone I knew did. That plus the whole myth around the kid who made a movie all by himself for no money was inspirational.

You can't put your hand on your heart and say it's a perfect film. Hell, it's really not a very good movie. But it was important enough that I will never be able to write Smith off completely.