Every film you've watched in 2020

Missy

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Devil Wears Prada: So many things working well in this film. Meryl Streep is perfect in it.

Knives Out: Outside of just being a funny at times film, Knives Out is wonderful by working with and subverting all expectations. It's also a pretty well crafted mystery with everyone involved putting in wonderful performances!

Sunset Boulevard: It's one of my favorite films of all time. It's a classic for a reason, just an expertly put together film with great performances from everyone involved.

Films: 182
Documentaries: 1

Rewatches: 4
Mst3k/Rifftrax/Other Assisted: 14

Captain Fantastic: funny, charming, smart, beautifully acted and shot, and achingly painful. Beautiful. Watched this with the girlfriend last night and we both cried several times throughout. To say it's beautifully-acted with Viggo Mortensen is involved is obvious, and there's probably no other actor who emotes with their face as well as him, but there isn't a single actor in this movie who doesn't kill it from beginning to end., Yes, Frank Langella, and Ann Dowd, but all the kids are great too. Lovely film. Stacy also said that Viggo's character "is totally you if you liked the outdoors." Haha!

• Features: 109
  • Shorts: 2
  • Documentaries: 13
  • Rewatches: 3

Maniac Cop: This was my first ever viewing, and it was alright. Disjointed as hell, but all right.

Does anyone know the behind-the-scenes history, by chance? Though it was released in May 1988, it seems as if it was filmed over a considerable period of time. I base this on the fact that it continuously changes what kind of movie it is, and what movies it seems to be taking influence from. For instance:

• It starts off as a typical Halloween (1978) / Friday the 13th (1980) clone with a slow-moving, overpowered killer in a very distinctive costume.
  • Suddenly, the movie swings away from Tom Atkins to introduce Bruce Campbell, who had just gained genre cred with Evil Dead 2 (1987).
  • Then it briefly leans into a Jason Lives (1986) angle, where the killer appears to be undead.
  • And by the end it becomes a Terminator (1984) clone with the police station slaughter and car chase to a factory / warehouse.

If it had stuck with being a clone of one, I think it might have been better off. But by constantly shifting gears, Maniac Cop never finds its own identity. Worse, it comes off like an obvious patchwork of then-popular genre movies.

Despite that, I enjoyed the film and can see me revisiting it down the line if only for the powerhouse that is Tom Atkins. Whenever he was on screen, I found my enjoyment increasing tenfold.

Two things Maniac Cop has going for it are:

• The grimy 1980s New York streets. Movies set in New York at this time are so raw. They're like some of the best Westerns, in that there's an authentic outlawness to them. You never know who's over the next hill, or, in this case, around the next corner. So even when the movie shifts focus, it always has the city as its background.
  • Robert Z'Dar is a true presence. Without ever speaking a word, he brings real power to the role. Especially during the flashback sequence.

Having heard the first sequel is a much better film, I'm greatly looking forward to watching it on Shudder tonight.

Thor: Ragnarok: It's still one of my favorite MCU films but, okay, yeah, I'll concede to Ian's point about Korg being a pretty terrible character. I don't mind most of the other cases of humor in a serious scene but most of the Korg stuff could have been cut and everything would have worked much better. Other than that though, Hela is a great villain and Tessa Thompson is awesome in anything so of course she's great here!

Solomon vs The Vampire Women: MST3K episode. I absolutely love it because it's a film where famous Luchadore Santo takes on a cult of Vampires. It's hilarious and great, even without the commentary!

Films: 185

Mst3k/Rifftrax/Other Assisted: 15

6 hours ago, dc20willsave said:

Solomon vs The Vampire Women: MST3K episode. I absolutely love it because it's a film where famous Luchadore Santo takes on a cult of Vampires. It's hilarious and great, even without the commentary!

My favorite is Santo Y Blue Demon Contra Dracula Y El Hombre Lobo.

Santo-and-Blue-Demon-vs.-Dracula-and-Wol

The Peanuts Movie: It's a really cute movie. It captures a lot of the feel of classic Peanuts! It does retread some territory but still cute.

Maleficent: Angelina Jolie puts in a strong performance and at least it feels like more effort than most of the other Disney Live Action remakes.

Films: 187

Death Wish 4: If you're looking for some unapologetic War on Drugs propaganda, here you go. This movie in particular leans hard into POC as drug pushers, to the point it borders on racist if it doesn’t cross over that line.

My favorite section:

Spoiler

The cops don’t know who Paul Kersey is. After three rampages where he killed about 800 people. And he is using his real name.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

I mean, come on. This guy is more bloodthirsty and has a higher body count than Jason Voorhees

How stupid are they? This whole series portrays cops as bumbling fools.

Films Watched: 40

High School Musical: I am not the target audience and I have no nostalgia for it but it's not bad, just kind of whatever. I can see the appeal though if you were there at the time.

Chicago: This was the film of my Senior Year for me. I saw it so many times in the theater. Love it! Also foreshadowed the 24 Hour News Cycle pretty well.

Repo: The Genetic Opera: Is it great? No but it's catchy.

Black Panther: It has some problems but it is still one of Marvel's Best Films and should be commended for what it was able to do! Rest in Power, Chadwick Boseman!

Films: 190

Rewatches: 5

On 11/14/2020 at 2:22 PM, S-T said:

Death Wish 4: If you're looking for some unapologetic War on Drugs propaganda, here you go. This movie in particular leans hard into POC as drug pushers, to the point it borders on racist if it doesn’t cross over that line.

My favorite section:

Hide contents

The cops don’t know who Paul Kersey is. After three rampages where he killed about 800 people. And he is using his real name.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

I mean, come on. This guy is more bloodthirsty and has a higher body count than Jason Voorhees

How stupid are they? This whole series portrays cops as bumbling fools.

Films Watched: 40

I've only seen the first 3 Death Wish films, and they're all racist AF. I should check out 4 and 5 to see if the franchise can go the distance.

6 hours ago, Donomark said:

I've only seen the first 3 Death Wish films, and they're all racist AF. I should check out 4 and 5 to see if the franchise can go the distance.

I was probably being way too kind.

But it's not just racism. It is complete disregard for due process and civil rights.

I'm stopping before I rant.

It is also misogynistic. The use of rape as a plot device in these movies is horrifying, and Kersey’s love interest and her daughter both exist for the sole purpose of being killed. Women in refrigerators anyone?

Oh, absolutely. No question. On QnoA we did a commentary for Death Wish 3, and Harry went in not remembering that the ludicrously young attorney who Kersey hooks up with is immediately blown up in a car, then never mentioned again. That, and the needless rape/murder of Marina Sirtis. It's flagrant toxic male fantasy nonsense, there's zero argument to be had.

That said, I think the tone differences in the first three films do give it a range of watchability. The first one has more going for it in that Kersey's a far more flawed character. The second one's just exploitation trash. The third one is so asleep at the wheel that its pernicious politics lack the collective bite of the previous films, so even with all the ardent misogyny I really can't take it seriously.

Observe and Report: this was pretty funny at parts, and Ray Liotta was great. Anna Faros is great as per usual. It has one of the most shocking things I've ever seen in a comedy. Other than that, it's a pretty rough watch. 

All 6 live action Resident Evil Films: reviews forthcoming

• Features: 116

The New Mutants: There's nothing in this film to tie it to the X-Men, except for two lines in the middle. That was the right choice, because the X-Men timeline is incomprehensible at this point.

I liked it. The horror theme worked well. A much better choice for the final entry in the X-Men franchise than Dark Phoenix.

Films Watched: 41

The Glorias: Not a huge fan of artsy fartsy biopics, but this one was pretty good. Julianne Moore and the woman who plays slightly younger Gloria Steinem were great.

Clueless: watched this with Stacy and her girls last night. Fuck, this movie is fucking funny. It holds up incredibly well. It also mixes very broad comedy and slapstick with clever satire delightfully.

Vampires vs. The Bronx: oldest is in quarantine thanks to his fast food job at his mom's so youngest and I watched this tonight. Not bad. Simple PG 13 fair. The main kid would be great as a live action Miles Morales.

Speaking of...

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse: hands down the best Marvel movie. Like, there's this, there's Spider-Man 2, and then X2 and then a bunch of others in some random order because they can't compare.

• Features: 120

I Accuse My Parents, Hobgoblins, Pod People, Carnival Magic, Final Justice, The Day The Earth Froze, Night of The Bloodbeast, Cry Wilderness: The MST3K Turkey Day Marathon. It was a good year with very few bad riffs.

Twitches Too: It's alright I guess. I don't know if we needed a sequel to Twitches but ehh.

Highlander: The Source: Gods I forgot how dumb this film was! ORBITAL WOBBLE!

X-Men Origins: Wolverine: I don't think it's as bad as The Last Stand but it's not great. It does have a great opening sequence though.

Batman and Robin: Honestly, I'm glad that time has come back around on Batman and Robin. If you go in knowing what you're going to get, it's an enjoyable experience.

Films: 196

Rewatches: 6
Mst3k/Rifftrax/Other Assisted: 22

1 hour ago, dc20willsave said:

Batman and Robin: Honestly, I'm glad that time has come back around on Batman and Robin. If you go in knowing what you're going to get, it's an enjoyable experience.

Typically I do not make a habit of re-reviewing things on The Show, but Batman and Robin is very much at the top of the "Maybe Give It Another Try" list.

On 11/28/2020 at 11:43 AM, The Master said:

Typically I do not make a habit of re-reviewing things on The Show, but Batman and Robin is very much at the top of the "Maybe Give It Another Try" list.

Please bring Ian and @James D. along for that one.