Every film you've watched in 2020

Missy

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just Imagine: A 1930 sci-fi musical comedy that stands as one of the most fucked up things I've seen in a very long time.  In the vast futurescape of 1980, people have numbers instead of names, marriage is arranged by judicial decree, and babies come from vending machines. Also there's a vaudeville Swede running around, a Busby Berkeley musical number on Mars, an early starring role for Maureen O'Sullivan before she went on to be Jane in the Johnny Weismuller Tarzan movies, Flash Gordon's rocketship before Flash Gordon used it, and a fairly impressive Art Deco design, extremely reminiscent of Metropolis, except Metropolis is a stunning example of classic science fiction, and this is... not that. The actors playing the leads' best friends are actually very, very funny, especially Marjorie White, who goes full-on Bugs Bunny at the end.

Batman: Hush -- I haven't read the book yet. After watching this, I think I should. Damien saying "cover your drink" was... I am not sure what to think about that. But he knows how he was conceived.

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers -- It's been years since I watched this. Still holds up very well.

Films watched: 6

Bees Make Honey: A very strange retro-throwback tribute to 30s comedy mysteries. It's not a great film but there's definitely some interesting energy there.

The Lion King: The Photorealistic version. It's pretty pointless since the story barely changes. I swear, these Disney Remakes are just becoming lazier.

Mass Effect: Paragon Lost: I've been replaying the Mass Effect series and I've never watched the anime film they put out leading up to 3. It's not good.

Groundhog Day: The fact that Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell didn't get Oscar Nominations, let alone wins, for this film is beyond perplexing but whatever.

Films: 16

Jesus...I haven't watched a movie in some time.

Ted 2: at the boys' behest. Not bad. Some solidly funny moments. Amanda Seyfried is a total delight and an improvement on the Mile Kunis character. The movies probably isn't as funny as the first, but it's more tolerable if that makes sense.

Five Course Meal/Don't Sneeze: shorts for the festival

• Features: 13
  • Shorts: 2
  • Documentaries: 1
  • Rewatches:

Birds of Prey: Got an AMC gift card for Christmas. Used it here. I was a bit surprised to see it get an R rating, but as I sat in the theater they more than earned it with the violence. And yes, you can use the F word now. Yay for you. But I swear the script was written with the idea that we can say it as much as we want.

They need to explain why Harley can take an unbelievable amount of punishment and no-sell it three minutes later. Nope. She's dead or crippled. Did the chemical bath give her low-level superpowers?

And since Batman does exist, he should have showed up at some point. He would definitely be one of the people going after Harley, especially after the stunt she pulls early in the movie.

This next one might be a spoiler:

Spoiler

They BURIED Batgirl deep beneath the earth. Cassandra Cain is one of the top 5 best fighters in the entire DCU. Not a prepubescent little girl who is a pickpocket.

And:

Spoiler

They put the Joker over big time, without ever having him on screen. All of these vicious mobsters won't do anything to Harley because they are terrified of "Mister J."

Films watched: 7

Spoiler

I feel like Stephanie Brown could've been a better fit for Cass's role in this. A shame that we can't have the classic Cass story in the films now, though I did enjoy the character in the movie.

Birds of Prey: A total blast. The movie that Suicide Squad was advertised as. It could've used more of the Birds of Prey (Harley and the BOP would've been a much more truthful title, though from what I understand Robbie pushed for giving them more of a spotlight) but their stories all converged in interesting ways. Really looking forward to more Black Canary especially.

Sionis was the weakest link of the cast, I feel like he was on the verge of something memorable but didn't quite reach it. Though I did appreciate the viewpoint about him being an R-rated Batman '66 villain.

9 hours ago, Davedevil said:
  Hide contents

I feel like Stephanie Brown could've been a better fit for Cass's role in this. A shame that we can't have the classic Cass story in the films now, though I did enjoy the character in the movie.

I will echo this and magnify it times 1000.

Maybe I am just not perceptive enough, but I wasn't seeing the SJW stuff in Birds of Prey. I mean, of course it is about female heroes. They are adapting an existing property. If anything they buried some of the characters compared to how competent they are in the comics.

Birds of Prey: I enjoyed it. It felt disjointed every now and then but I felt it was a decently entertaining film. Also, the only thing I've thought about since watching that movie was having a Fried Egg Sandwich!

Roller Blade: It's a schlocky 80s Mad Max rip-off that's also about Roller Skate Nuns with Switchblades.

Return to Oz: It's nightmare fuel but the set design is beautiful and Faruza Balk definitely does an admirable job!

The Stepford Wives: The remake. Still not the worst film but far from the best.

Tammy and the T-Rex: As gloriously insane as I remember and, with the gore cut, somehow even more so!

Repo: The Genetic Opera: Because it came up in causal conversation and it was the end of the night and no one wanted to watch Space Mutiny.

Films: 23

2 hours ago, dc20willsave said:

Return to Oz: It's nightmare fuel but the set design is beautiful and Faruza Balk definitely does an admirable job!

I have this movie, in full, precisely once. It was in the cinema opening weekend. There I was with my dad enjoying a dark sequel to The Wizard of Oz, and then OH MY GOD WHAT IS WITH THE HEADS?!

Birds of Prey (Harley Quinn): My thoughts can be found in both the latest eps of Questions: We Don't Have Answers and Comic Book Film Revue (put the QnoA ep on that feed), but TL;DR There's a lot of good and goodwill put into the movie, but I can't get past how they did Cassandra Cain, which veers into racist territory considering the larger context of the movie being a Harley Quinn vehicle. The whole thing is just tainted for me.

Birds of Prey: a really fun and funny action movie. The motorcycle/rollerskates thing was the most Hong Kong action movie thing I've seen in a decade. Robbie is excellent. So is Jurnee Smollett-Bell. Ewan McGregor is a GREAT villain. The film is very fun to look at and has a decent script with some good comedy.

A Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica Part One: watching a clip of this a couple weeks back made me want to rewatch the whole thing. I watched this religiously when it came out. It gave me a fascination with the studio process. Bob Rock is an intimidating figure even if you aren't dating his daughter. I want to watch part two now.

• Features: 15
  • Documentaries: 2
  • Rewatches:

Birds of Prey - It was fun.  Pretty much all I wanted from this.

The Crow - Moved all the DVDs I've bought and never watched and put them into a big pile.  This was on top.  Still love it, and the pure 90s of it gets better with age.  But I think this is the first time I've watched it since I watch the TV show.  And those are the versions of the characters that are in my head.  Weird.

Jay & Silent Bob Reboot - Meh.  About what I expected.  The first part of the film is horrible.  Very cringe.  But it evens out and adds a little heart, which at least stopped me watching the timer.  Still not good.

A Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica Part Two: nowhere near as good as the first part. This one covers roughly the first year (of three and a half) that they toured the Black Album. The performances are a little lackluster. Out of the six proper performance videos (there are tons of clips and micced from the stage stuff, but proper being audio from the soundboard multiple camera shoots) two of them are Enter Sandman (I get it, it was the biggest song in the world, but it's in my bottom ten Metallica songs) and one of them is the performance of Nothing Else Matters after James got burned. I get they included it for the story of triumph over adversity, but he clearly is not a fan of sitting down and singing while not playing his guitar and I clocked TWO mistakes in a pretty easy song by his guitar tech. Still, worth the two hours just to see Jason Newsted at the deli table.

• Features: 15
  • Documentaries: 3
  • Rewatches:

11 hours ago, Pan-dub said:

I can recommend the documentary 'Lemmy' on Netflix - decent mixture of awe-inspiring, pity enducing and jaw dropping. A ton of musical taking heads and lots of live performances to boot. Fun on a bun. 

It's great. I've seen it, but I should totally rewatch it.

Anchorman: still fucking rules ass. Don't @ me. 

• Features: 16
  • Documentaries: 3
  • Rewatches:

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King -- Man this is a looooooooong movie, and it feels long. I remember seeing it in the theater and loving it, and I have watched it a couple times on DVD and liked it, so maybe I just wasn't in the mood.