Every film you've watched in 2020

Missy

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Thing About Harry: It's a Freeform Made For TV movie except it's a gay relationship. Otherwise, it's mostly average. It also suffers from the problem that many of these have: It has a set run time so when it has a logical end-point, it just keeps going.

Bridget Jones's Diary: Renee Zellwegger is what makes the film. If the lead hadn't been as strong, it would have failed big time.

Films: 27

The Invisible Man: The Elizabeth Moss movie that's just come out, and. As a victim of gaslighting, emotional abuse, and manipulation from a figure of authority, this movie hit really, really hard. I won't say the ending, but I take great solace in how it ended. Just a really, really good movie. 

Films Watched: 9

The Best Man Holiday: Sequel to the 1998(9?) film about Morris Chestnut beating up Taye Diggs for penning a book detaling how he slept with Chestnut's fiance. It's a'ight. Melodramatic all over, but nothing embarrassing like in a Madea film. Terrance Howard is drunk and high throughout the film, and makes it bizarrely funny.

Th Brady Bunch Movie: It's weird how the attempt to make the film feel contemporary ages the film more than the Stuck-In-The-70s Bradys.

The First Wives Club: It's amazing how many talented actresses they got for this film and I can't help but love for all of them!

Rent Live: I was pretty fucking drunk and sleep deprived by the end so I think I bawled to Seasons of Love three times.

Films: 30

Parasite: the hype is real and the awards deserved. What a fantastic fucking movie!

House of 1000 Corpses: review forthcoming.

Brick: jeeez...I'm really bad at logging films this year. This was really good. Not great, but really good.

• Features: 21
  • Shorts: 2
  • Documentaries: 3
  • Rewatches:

Batman vs. TMNT: I am sounding like a broken record here, but it's too violent. Decapitations, dismemberment, and a throwing star embedded in someone's head with gushing blood. This is something I had hoped to maybe watch with my boys, but that won't happen.

I was taken aback that

Spoiler

Shredder beat Batman, clean as a sheet. Then he would have done it a second time, had Raphael not interfered. ‪It was a nice change of pace from the meme that Batman could beat anyone with enough prep time.No, he can't. He is just a man. Incredibly tough and smart, but just a man.‬

‪Also, Batman is more concerned with winning his rematch with Shredder than stopping a chemical bomb that would annihilate Gotham. That is radically out of character.

‬For me personally, I loved the movie. But DC animated movies are pushing away a significant audience with the level of violence.

‪Films Watched: 9‬

Color Out of Space: I'm not the Lovecraft fanatic in my family, but the one I married was very excited. It was pretty good. Nicolas Cage went full Nicolas Cage in a way that served the story well. Some legit scares, a fair amount of trippiness, and more humor than I was expecting.

The Devil's Rejects/3 From Hell: reviews forthcoming

30 Days in Hell: this is the feature-length documentary about the making of TDR that is pretty solid. It's one of the greatest dvd specials features ever. 

• Features: 23
  • Documentaries: 4
  • Rewatches:

3 From Hell: Maybe I was a little stoned last night, or maybe it was just too much Zombie for one day, but I woke up this morning with almost ZERO memory of this movie. Sadly, I had to rewatch it because I'm covering it on the show. Bright side: it got me to sign up for Shudder.

Heavy Trip: review forthcoming.

• Features: 24
  • Documentaries: 4
  • Rewatches: 1

Dig! - Fell into a Dave Grohl podcast guest wormhole on YouTube.  Forget where, but he briefly mentioned this documentary.  Follows two 'sister' bands (The Dandy Warhols & The Brian Jonestown Massacre) as one gains success and one doesn't.  At least, that is how it is sold.  In reality it focuses 80%-90% on BJM, and basically just their lead person Anton.  And that is where this falls apart for me.  I don't find entertainment in watching someone who suffers from a combination of being an asshole/mental illness/drug addiction.  There is seemingly a better doc that delivers on the mission statement (they have a TON of footage, like a shocking amount), but this is not it.

Phantom of the Paradise - I don't know why, but in my head, this was hyped up as a "WTF, insane drug trip of epicness."  It is not.  I was bored.  Followed thru to the end, but started multitasking halfway thru.  Not a fan.

Crow: City of Angels
Crow: Wicked Prayer - So, I don't get it.  I know Wicked Prayer is a bit of a punchline around here.  And it is objectively bad.  But it isn't the worst Crow movie because City of Angels exists.  THAT is a movie that deserves to be a punchline and should never been seen.  Glad I paid nothing for this DVD set.

2 hours ago, Professor said:

Phantom of the Paradise - I don't know why, but in my head, this was hyped up as a "WTF, insane drug trip of epicness."  It is not.  I was bored.  Followed thru to the end, but started multitasking halfway thru.  Not a fan.

WeeZanyIbadanmalimbe-small.gif

The last time I watched City of Angles, my mind was blown by the poor editing. I don't mean the craft, I mean the way you can clearly see that scenes have been shuffled around to make it more like the original Crow. It's clearly not the movie the director intended to make, and it suffers greatly for it.

The Hunt - It was a political satire that bashed both sides, though I think the "liberal globalist elites" got made fun of more. I think folks got all worked up over nothing. The twist at the end was unnecessary and seemed out of left field.

Films watched: 10

Iron Man 2: I feel like a lot of what made the original interesting and unique is gone now that they've realized that they not only have a success but that they have a franchise. Parts are good but this feels more like the beginning of the Marvel Cookiecutter concept than Iron Man 1.

Girl in Gold Boots: So much of the SciFi era of MST3k is less of the goofy crime films that made up so much of the early years. So, it's nice that for the last year, they were allowed to do them again!

Merlin's Shop of Mystic Wonders: Also from the last season of MST3k. One of my favorite experiments just because the film is so screwed up.

Prince of Darkness: This is that rare film that has been on my radar since High School that I have somehow just never gotten around to seeing. It's such a moody film, weird, and just enough of a mind-screw. Definitely worth the wait.

The Addams Family: While not as good as the sequel, it works for the most part.

Films: 33
Mst3k/Rifftrax Assisted: 2

2 hours ago, dc20willsave said:

Iron Man 2: I feel like a lot of what made the original interesting and unique is gone now that they've realized that they not only have a success but that they have a franchise. Parts are good but this feels more like the beginning of the Marvel Cookiecutter concept than Iron Man 1.

Nah, that happened in Phase 3 with Dr. Strange where every movie became a comedy.