Every film you've watched in 2020

Missy

Iron Man 3: I'm not a fan but I guess I can understand why other people are. I just can't help but notice problems and I didn't have all that much fun with it.

Thor: The Dark World: I had even less fun here. Despite being like the shortest Marvel Film, it still seems like you could have cut like 20 minutes and it wouldn't lose anything. Also, they wasted Christopher Eccleston.

Doug's First Movie: It was apparently supposed to be straight to video but got a theatrical release because The Rugrats Movie was successful. As is, it's just an extra long episode of Doug and it just kind of falls flat.

Addams Family Values: One of those sequels that is superior to the original on all counts. It's not perfect but it's so enjoyable with some wonderful performances from everyone.

Films: 81
Mst3k/Rifftrax/Other Assisted: 14

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IM3 actually gets better every time I watch it, but still falls down at the end for me.

Thor 2 is as bad as its reputation. The second act is fun and the third act fight is fun to watch, but it's on total autopilot.

But that's enough spoiling episode 1100...

Straight Jacket: Horror Noir (?) film starring Joan Crawford, I really enjoyed this. It's appropriately creepy with some shocking violence for a 1960s movie, and an ending that totally threw me, being perfectly guessable but not entirely predictable. I guess this movie didn't enjoy a great reputation, but I dug it.

Lady Bird: The fact that Laurie Metcalf didn't get an Oscar win here is a crying shame. It's a brilliant film.

Booksmart: Olivia Wilde is a decent director. Terrifically written film, so many great acting performances. I had so much fun! Between this and Blockers, can we get more well-written comedies about teenage girl friendships?

Can't Hardly Wait: Is it just the fate of 50% of all comedies to age terribly? Especially ones that weren't even that great to begin with?

Films: 84

My to-die-on hill is that most comedies don't age well. I don't mean one or two jokes are iffy in current times (though that certainly is important to talk about). I mean, they were funny in that exact moment but not beyond. It's why I rarely rewatch them unless I'm inebriated and / or in a group.

19 hours ago, The Master said:

My to-die-on hill is that most comedies don't age well. I don't mean one or two jokes are iffy in current times (though that certainly is important to talk about). I mean, they were funny in that exact moment but not beyond. It's why I rarely rewatch them unless I'm inebriated and / or in a group.

I think comedy (in general) does not have the highest degree of repeatability, once the punchline is given.  The initial visceral laughter is gone.  I can't remember the last one I rewatched.  And that extends to stand up as well.  I have piles of albums, but beyond Mitch Hedberg, I don't revisit.

Friday Night Lights: This was an engrossing drama, but mainly from the acting and directing. Halfway thru I'm like "...it's just high school." That realization made the thing more melodramatic, which made the final state championship game hilarious because it was so OTT and violent. I liked it, partly ironically. 

The Invisible Man: I semi-coherently talk about it in this week's episode of Dread Media. Long story short: it feels like the perfect jumping off point for a Cinematic Universe even though there's literally no reason to expect one to come from this.

• Features: 55
  • Shorts: 2
  • Documentaries: 7
  • Rewatches: 1

Johnny Mnemonic: A favorite of Mr. Chute's, this was a 90s sci-fi/cyberpunk movie in the extreme. It doesn't work, the futuristic world never really gelling into anything memorable or unique, separate from a lot of other 90s sci-fi films out there, from Ghost in the Shell to Strange Days to even Judge Dredd and Tank Girl. Keanu Reeves is objectively bad in the film, but his badness makes for an unpredictable watch. It's entertaining, never boring and Dolph Lundgren plays a murderer dressed as Eric Matthews from that future episode of Boy Meets World. It's hard to follow, but ultimately worth seeing once I'd say.

Outbreak: This is probably not the best movie to watch during a global pandemic. Very good, nonetheless. The premise is “let’s all act as stupid as possible to spread the disease as wide as possible.”

Lots and lots of jumping to conclusions and a one-in-a-billion shot leads to the resolution. Too convenient. I recommend anyway... After the COVID-19 pandemic is over.

Films Watched: 20

Lakeview Terrace: Very entertaining for 2/3rds of the film, with Sam Jackson carrying the whole thing with his beady eyes, but the politics of having the black LA cop being the racist one terrorizing an interracial couple because they're interracial is...there's no getting around that. It feels like a blaxploitation throwback, but there's no irony or awareness in how not cool that set up is. And it's a shame because the acting really does make it watchable.

Mortal Kombat (1995): A classic, still and always. 

Tomorrow Never Dies: I could nitpick this to death but I won’t. It is in my opinion the least entertaining of the Bronson Bond films and the villain is a little too cartoonish. But at least in this movie, it is clear that the Fake News media really is the enemy of the people.

Sorry. Could not resist. 

Films Watched: 21

Satanis: The Devil's Mass: what a weird documentary about the Church of Satan from 1970. I watched it drunk to provide a watch-along commentary to Patrons and essentially was blind drunk at the end, but it's crazy seeing the weird arguments these people have against the CoS: "I don't care what they do inside, but they need to start mowing the lawn!" It's crazy.

350 Days: this is a wrestling doc that is remarkably flat. It isn't as extensively depressing as most docs about the tolls wrestling takes on wrestlers, and for that reason, I found it kind of odd.

• Features: 55
  • Documentaries: 9

The Velocipastor: It came up in conversation while playing Overwatch with some friends so we decided to watch it. It's still a weird ass film

The Hunger Games: I've been on a Social Strategy Game kick lately and we ended up on this film and I started droning on and on about effective alliances and voting techniques. Oh, and Jennifer Lawrence does a pretty good job.

Films: 85
Rewatches: 1

The Hustle: I am, 100%, all for films that give women in Hollywood more to do. The irony that they remade Dirty, Rotten Scoundrels with a genderbent cast is not lost on me, keeping every plot element including the ending, is not lost on me. It's Rebel Wilson making more of the usual Rebel Wilson jokes, It's Anne Hathaway doing an accent, it's pretty run of the mill.

Scream, Queen! My Nightmare On Elm Street: A fascinating look at A Nightmare on Elm St. 2, It's Star Mark Patton, and Gay Hollywood in the 80s. There's a lot of be admired though certain interactions could have went better. Still worth a watch.

The Road to El Dorado: A film I have mainly avoided over the last two decades. It never appealed to me. Watching it today, it's decent and fun. It is also definitely a memeable and queer as I had been lead to believe.

Films: 87
Documentaries: 1

Maniac Cop 2: I saw this when it came out but haven't seen it since. There's a really obvious homage to the first Terminator movie. Worth watching as a classic horror movie but the ending scene was too political.

Hollywood crime movies were very right-wing populist in the 80's. I could rant, but I won't.

Films Watched: 23

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation: B A D, and hardly in a good way. The effects are embarrassing, the movie revolves entirely around fight scenes that connect sparse minutes of a thin-ass plot, and as Harry pointed out it's rampantly more misogynist than the first one. The only reason to watch it is to marvel at how awful it is.

Gabriel's Inferno: Based on another in what must be a long line of Twilight fanfic novels, this watched more like 50 Shades of Grey. It's also terrible, because nothing happens. The central romance is contrived and cloying and the movie drowns in scenes of anti-climactic, unresolved tension where nothing happens by the end...oh, but it's only Part One! Nope.

Kung Fu Hustle & Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky: I did it. I found the best double feature ever. There was thunder and lightning last night and Kirby was freaking out, so we went into the basement to watch kung fu films. It calmed him right down. I had fun too.

• Features: 57
  • Documentaries: 9

Justice League Dark: Apokolips War - That was amazing. Watch it. Maybe the best movie I have ever seen. It was that good, even if the ending is a little cheap.

Imagine if DC built their live action cinematic universe the way they built their animated movies.

Films Watched: 24

I Love You Both: Hulu likes to recommend me really cringy movies. I watch them so it keeps on recommending them to me. It's not that good of a film, a kinda sorta comedy about fraternal twins that both develop feelings for the same guy. It's almost the same film as The Skeleton Twins only neither of the stars have the same charisma.

Mayhem: This was tons of fun... also a little unsettling given current events since part of the premise is that there's a virus that makes people go a little insane and an early scene shows how easy it is to spread.

Films: 89
Documentaries: 1