Episode 1099 - The Greatest American Hero

RSS

In 1981, legendary television producer Stephen J. Cannell unleashed his vision of a superhero TV program upon the world: The Greatest American Hero! Listen as Dan and Mike wax lyrical about the first two episodes ("The Greatest American Hero" and "The Hit Car"), gush about the force of nature that is FBI Special Agent Bill Maxwell, reveal what iconic role series lead William Katt nearly received, and talk about the strange connection the show has to the attempted assassination of President Reagan. [ 1:36:22 || 48.5 MB ]

I cannot believe I forgot to mention that a pilot for a remake starring Hannah Simone (New Girl) was made a couple of years ago but wasn't picked up.

To the best of my knowledge, it is nowhere on the internet, but I would very much like to see this.

There are so many pilots I keep waiting to get leaked out. A part of me thinks it would be fun to do a segment where the hosts watch a pilot that never went to series, try to figure out where the series would have gone, and decide if it should have went forward and what show it should have replaced.

I always heard of Greatest American Hero. It seemed like a fun show that I just constantly missed out on. I'll definitely check out the pilot sometime.

A few stray thoughts I had based off of some of the side-conversations that went on during the episode:

• Something I never put together until the topic of, "Taking three steps than leaping to fly:" In Super Mario 64, the Wing Cap activates after Mario makes a triple jump.
  • When talking about divorces in TV shows of the 70s and 80s, Vivian Vance's Character on The Lucy Show was the first regular divorced character on American Television. Carol Brady's Former Husband is never mentioned on The Brady Bunch and Sherwood Schwartz, the creator, always thought of Carol as a Divorcee. Maude on Maude had been married Four Times with two of those ending in Divorce.

3 hours ago, dc20willsave said:
  • Carol Brady's Former Husband is never mentioned on The Brady Bunch and Sherwood Schwartz, the creator, always thought of Carol as a Divorcee. Maude on Maude had been married Four Times with two of those ending in Divorce.

Ooh, interesting! I truly thought they both had deceased spouses.

Yeah, the closest we get is in A Very Brady Sequel where a conman impersonates Carol's missing husband after causing him to get marooned while on an archeological trip. The 90s films exist in their own continuity but, based off of this, Carol is still an unintentional bigamist because her husband is The Professor from Gilligan's Island.

The 90s Brady Bunch movies are brilliant!

• 2 weeks later...

The third episode is a hoot. Ralph Hinkley Hanley learns he can turn invisible, and has to hunt down an experimental fighter jet -- all while trying to find the time to meet his girlfriend's parents. It's completely forgettable, but absolutely enjoyable TV.