DC Purge

Dread

Jesus, looks like Bobbie Chase too.

According to Variety, Warner is cutting roughly 800 people:

Warner Bros. is expected to commence layoffs of around 650 people starting Monday, according to people familiar with the matter, while HBO is seen shedding between 150 and 175 staffers. A WarnerMedia spokesman declined to comment.

I don't know why there's such hate for the DCU service, you don't hear that for Marvel Unlimited, which costs more and has less features. Just odd to me. 

I feel really bad for those who've lost their jobs and weren't complicit in harassment in DC, and I'm very curious about where comics are gonna go from here. We are long due for alternative models, and I hope they find the right ones.

1 minute ago, Davedevil said:

I don't know why there's such hate for the DCU service, you don't hear that for Marvel Unlimited, which costs more and has less features. Just odd to me. 

I feel really bad for those who've lost their jobs and weren't complicit in harassment in DC, and I'm very curious about where comics are gonna go from here. We are long due for alternative models, and I hope they find the right ones.

My very limited understanding is that DC has a better capacity for original graphic novels than Marvel, which may or may not be a product of Vertigo's legacy. If DC can survive this as a monthly publisher of comic books -- and I think they can -- they may have to look at that model for some B-minus or C-level characters who can almost support monthly books. This said, I do know the OGN model is exceptionally difficult to support in the superhero genre, which has been monthly for nearly a century. Superhero comic book fans have been tailored to expect a new issue every four weeks or so. Asking them to wait four / five / six month at a time for a continuing story from one creative team would be an unimaginable diametric shift. But we might be seeing that come to pass soon.

We might be seeing the current generation of comic fans turning on the monthly format. I've gone to digital and trade in the last couple years, after collecting monthly for almost a decade prior. Everytime I've shared news of upcoming comics with friends who are interested in the medium but aren't regular collectors, they always seem disappointed that they'll either have to pay $3.99 for a sliver of a story, or wait half a year for a collected edition, by which time they might forget.

I can see the episodic format working for stuff like events, you would want there to be time to shock people with reveals, but monthly issues don't carry the same impact anymore. Manga volumes take a couple months to be published, but they give more value and are easier to follow. Of course, color, page size and publication methods are different, but something that would make comics easier to share is needed. I got really excited when I saw Marvel was putting out $12 digests with a full years' worth of Ms Marvel or Miles Morales. I, personally, feel people would be happier walking out of a shop with a whole story/set of stories instead of 3 parts of different stories, for the same price.

Of course, how creators are paid would have to be rethought, but it might just be that desperate.

I have no idea how far this will go, but the industry is going to look very, very different a couple of years from now. Nobody wants to see something like this, as inevitable as it's seemed for a while now.

Some of these people will find homes elsewhere, but this is devastating.