Episode 58 - 11001001 and Too Short a Season

RSS

• 1 month later...

Interesting. I was listening while washing dishes and it stuck out.

I don’t think I have ever listened to Bigger on the Inside, as I have never watched Dr. Who. I did have a Dr. Who Make Your Own Adventure book about 30 years ago. I have always meant to watch it but never got around to it.

I think I’ve heard you use that word on Earth-2: The Show, on the Halloween 2007 review and the Saw VI review. Different editorial decisions for different podcasts, or site-wide now? I am fine with it. Just curious.

4 hours ago, The Master said:

Not sure when I started censoring that word, but it felt like the right thing to do. It's one of those words I use in the UK sense (think Trainspotting), but totally understand why people bristle at it.

Stepping in to say that I 100% agree with this. Not using it in a misogynistic way doesn't mean a LOT of people hear it that way when the word is used and "that's not how I meant it" doesn't mean it's not genuinely offensive to a lot of people.

It's kind of like "I would NEVER call an actual 'r-word' the r-word."

(Yes, I've had to rethink a lot of my childhood vocabulary.)

12 hours ago, The Master said:

Not sure when I started censoring that word, but it felt like the right thing to do. It's one of those words I use in the UK sense (think Trainspotting), but totally understand why people bristle at it.

In Scotland (in the Trainspotting sense), the c-word is practically a term of endearment and that was legitimately confirmed for me by a Scottish acquaintance (she wasn't saying it to me but it came up in our conversation). I similarly bleep it for HAA, for sensitivity reasons, but I don't cut it out of the podcast wholesale because a) it hurts the flow of the dialogue, and b) 8/10 times there's a reason why it was used, but I still bleep it. On occasion, Pandy used it simply to make editing for me more laborious, although I think that was in the early days. But to his credit, he got uncomfortable with me quoting a line of dialogue from Swing Kids verbatim which used the n-word, and we had a whole outtake about discussing the issue (the word was always going to be bleeped, but the discussion was all about whether or not to cut it) wholesale.

As an aside, it is interesting how nationalities view certain words more harshly. I brought up 'faggot' in a recording with Mike in the last 12 months - not as a slur, but quoting someone for something and I forget the immediate context - and that got bleeped. Conversely, the UK are a lot more sensitive to 'retard/retarded' than the US are, which I found out as a throwaway lyric in a Weird Al parody. And a recent one too (Word Crimes).

TL;DR - there isn't a universal in-house guide as to what to edit out on our podcasts and it's down to the judgment of each individual editor. Mike getting the episode first means that he has the opportunity to listen through and edit out anything he's uncomfortable with before it gets published, but I think it's a given that most of us know to not be deliberately offensive and to mind our Ps and Qs.

10 hours ago, slothian said:

As an aside, it is interesting how nationalities view certain words more harshly. I brought up 'faggot' in a recording with Mike in the last 12 months - not as a slur, but quoting someone for something and I forget the immediate context - and that got bleeped. Conversely, the UK are a lot more sensitive to 'retard/retarded' than the US are, which I found out as a throwaway lyric in a Weird Al parody. And a recent one too (Word Crimes).

I believe the offending word in "Word Crimes" is "spastic", which is not really on the radar here in the US, but I understand is VERY not okay in the UK.

I used to bleep out all the heavy swears on my DBZ podcast years back, because while the show was clearly for adult millennials, the franchise has a tween audience and I felt it was the nobler thing to do. I even bleeped out the single use of the word "gypped" in one instance because I found out in between recording and editing that it's an anti-Roma slur.

19 hours ago, Dan said:

I believe the offending word in "Word Crimes" is "spastic", which is not really on the radar here in the US, but I understand is VERY not okay in the UK.

That's the one - yeah, that's never been OK since I've been alive. Ian Dury (who was disabled) got into a lot of hot water for his song 'Spasticus Austisticus', which was a solidarity song but wasn't taken that way by the music industry.