The Boondocks

Zephyr

If you haven't seen this show yet, you need to. It's one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. The whole scene in the convinence store from last week was priceless. Apparently this show used to be a comic before coming to Adult Swim. Has anyone read it before?

As a side note, the poor town you can donate money to in Animal Crossing is called Boondox.

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably going to get me in a lot of trouble, but I figure that I know most of you well enough to pull this rant off without sounding toooo horrible.

I hate this show. I hate the fact that people like it. I hate that the people who like it are really quick to call me down for making a joke that makes fun of racial stereotypes, but OHHHHHH this show RULEZZZZZZ and it does the same thing. I fucking hate that. I'm sick of the double standards that exist and I'm sick of people allowing them to exist without there being any sort of problem. ARGH.

I would agree with you if both boys were little gangsters. Granted, Riley is a wannabe thug, but more often than not he says the things we're all thinking but are too afraid to say (RE: The Trial of R. Kelly; "Oh yes! The victim. At what point does personal responsibility become a factor in this equation? I see piss comin, I run. She saw piss comin, she stayed. And why should I miss out on the next R. Kelly album just fo that?").

Huey, on the other hand, is a very intelligent young man who seeks to enlighten those around him, but his ideas are often too "on the fringe" and so they go ignored (RE: A Huey Freeman Christmas; "We all want to believe in miracles on Christmas -- all of us. But Christmas miracles only happen in the lies adults tell children, and maybe in Christmas specials." The Trial of R. Kelly; "What the hell is wrong with you people? Every famous nigga that gets arrested is not Nelson Mandela! Yes, the government conspires to put a lot of innocent black men in jail on fallacious charges, but R. Kelly is not one of those men! We all know the nigga can sing, but what happened to standards?! What happened to bare minimums?! You a fan of R. Kelly? You wanna help R. Kelly? Then get some counseling for R. Kelly! Introduce him to some older women! Hide his camcorder! But don't pretend like the man is a hero!"). And however extreme his ideals might be, Huey looks down on his brother's "thuggin" actions. So there's a balance.

Yeah, the boys say "nigga" a lot, but that's because they were raised in a Chicago hood. So it's part of their culture. For you and me and anyone else who wasn't exposed to that "ghetto" culture (black, white, Hispanic, whatever), we don't have a right to say it because it wasn't part of our upbringing. I don't think every black person has the ingrained right to call another black person a "nigger", just like I don't believe every Hispanic should toss around "spic" and / or "wetback". (And yes, if a white kid grew up right alongside black kids in a ghetto culture, as I called it earlier, I do believe he has the right to use it.) Again, this isn't an ingrained racial right; it's all about cultural upbringing. In my book, it's a matter of when and where one was raised.

As much as I'd love for everyone to lighten up and just accept that we can all make fun of each other (in a lighthearted, non-malicious way), that's not where we are socially. So we just have to accept that each social group has the right to poke fun at itself while the rest -- I won't say "don't" -- better be careful about what they say, when they say it and how it's said.

This is probably going to get me in a lot of trouble, but I figure that I know most of you well enough to pull this rant off without sounding toooo horrible.

I hate this show. I hate the fact that people like it. I hate that the people who like it are really quick to call me down for making a joke that makes fun of racial stereotypes, but OHHHHHH this show RULEZZZZZZ and it does the same thing. I fucking hate that. I'm sick of the double standards that exist and I'm sick of people allowing them to exist without there being any sort of problem. ARGH.

As much as I'd love for everyone to lighten up and just accept that we can all make fun of each other (in a lighthearted, non-malicious way), that's not where we are socially. So we just have to accept that each social group has the right to poke fun at itself while the rest -- I won't say "don't" -- better be careful about what they say, when they say it and how it's said.

That, I agree with. It's just the facts, I mean, it's similar (but at the same time not so similar) to family, in that if someone calls your brother a name, you don't like it, but if you call your brother an asshole, it's not so much a problem.

Unfortunately, there will always be those two kinds of people, those who can't tolerate even the slightest insult to their group, and those who take it all in stride, even contributing a few of their own. And what ends up happening is you end up only hearing from one of the two groups. If you personaly say some joke, most likely no one is going to go up to you and say that was a great joke, but more likely a person is going to come up and say it was a hurtful joke.

On the other hand, something like the Boondocks is many times bigger, with thousands of people watching it. Its on TV, so the station is getting good and bad attention, but since they are trying to sell it and get good ratings, what kind of picture are they going to try to paint for you? There will always be those two kinds of people and not much anyone can do about it.

• 1 month later...
Apparently this show has really offended some people in the black community. Rev. Al Sharpton was on CNN or FoxNews(can't remember which) saying that the episode with Martin Luther King was degrading. From watching it, I could tell that he had never seen the episode he was complaining about.

Exactly! Everyone is up in arms about MLK using the word "nigger", but had they watched the episode they would have realized why he did it and the action it caused the black population to take.

Exactly! Everyone is up in arms about MLK using the word "nigger", but had they watched the episode they would have realized why he did it and the action it caused the black population to take.

If MLK was still alive today, or rather came back from the dead, he would be truly appauled at some of the things he would find. I think the episode was pretty accurate in how he would be in today's society. And it was great to hear him say, "Oh snap, no they didn't." (so maybe the episode wasn't 100% accurate.)

I liked the comic strip when it first came out, before it delved into reverse racism and super liberal america bashing. I've watched the show, and you can deffently see the creators views coming through. My local newspaper, even as super liberal as it is, actually stopped running the comic after the comics creator said in an interview how all of Americas problems can be traced back to whites, and that if the black populas was smart they would have rose up long ago and established their own land in America, free from the opression of the "evil white devil".