Every film you've watched in 2022

Missy

Without having watched Thor 4 yet, and glossing over any potential spoilers, I feel both smug and vindicated*! Now go back and watch Ragnarok, and tell me if it is reappraised in your minds....

*I should add this isn't based off of Donovan's post alone but other posts I have seen on places like The Oratory. No-one's calling Love And Thunder an out & out success.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Honestly, this makes me like Ragnarok more, because Thor wasn't an idiot in that. There was humor to be sure, but I never got the sense that he lacked any of the competence he'd displayed up to that point. Here, there's this bizarre undertaking of Thor not knowing how to present himself in situations and struggling to communicate to people. It simply rings untrue and I really don't care for the save of "Oh, well, still Thanos and also he's seeing Jane again" because it's too over the top for that to be it, unless it's bad storytelling.

On 7/11/2022 at 4:09 PM, Donomark said:

Honestly, this makes me like Ragnarok more, because Thor wasn't an idiot in that. There was humor to be sure, but I never got the sense that he lacked any of the competence he'd displayed up to that point. Here, there's this bizarre undertaking of Thor not knowing how to present himself in situations and struggling to communicate to people. It simply rings untrue and I really don't care for the save of "Oh, well, still Thanos and also he's seeing Jane again" because it's too over the top for that to be it, unless it's bad storytelling.

Absolutely. All of this. 100%

Thor 4 smacks of an exec saying "Y'know what, Taika? Go nuts! Ragnarok made Thor's pomposity hilarious, do more of that!

Also, y'know Korg? Have him speak, like, WAY more *sniff*. Like NEVER let any idol moment go by without him say something nonchalantly. In fact

Spoiler

Take away all his skills as a fighter and make him a LITERAL TALKING HEAD *sniff*

Remember what Jeff Goldblum did in Raggy? Make Russell Crowe do that with less jokes and a problematic Italian accent while shitting on mythology. It'll be hilarious. The kids love shitting on Greek mythology. It'll help sell the point that makes the villain so effective. No...wait. That's IT! Imply Jesus is there too! With a Japanese food God! MEGALOLZ *sniiiiff*"

Edited by Pan-dub
Punctuation

Korg is a million percent the most irritating supporting character in all of the MCU. Like, even in the first Thor movie, Darcy was amusing, before she degraded in the second one. Korg is a single joke told with the same tone excessively for hours on end.

Finally saw Spider-Man: No Way Home, and while I enjoyed the hell out of it, it's another MCU movie that utterly breaks the universe and we're just supposed to go "lolowell ¯\_(ツ)_/¯."

If the entire world has been made to forget Peter Parker ever existed:

- How did Jonah go from basement YouTuber to studio star without exposing Spider-Man's identity?
- How do Ned and MJ ever become friends without Peter as the middle man?
- How does Happy meet May without being Peter's caretaker post Civil War?

This isn't just making the world forget Peter is Spider-Man (which is bad enough), it's gaslighting his closest friends into believing their lives took different paths. It's actually kinda gross.

The better reset should have been everyone forgetting Peter is Spider-Man, but if he tells even one person, the spell is undone. That would place massive stakes on future unmaskings. But, here we are.

Top Gun: Maverick: holy shit. I have obvious problems with this movie. It's pro-military propaganda to the nth degree. It's a bullshit coward move to introduce this mission without telling us what country they're going to. Make one up! But, really, this movie fucking ruled. It was a script completely devoid of boredom. All the relationships were well portrayed, the dialogue was fun and the stakes were high. This will be on the list of my favourite movies of the year. I would have laughed at that prospect a year ago,

• Features: 66
  • Shorts: 7
  • Documentaries: 8
  • Rewatches: 1

On 7/16/2022 at 4:48 PM, Missy said:

Finally saw Spider-Man: No Way Home, and while I enjoyed the hell out of it, it's another MCU movie that utterly breaks the universe and we're just supposed to go "lolowell ¯\_(ツ)_/¯."

If the entire world has been made to forget Peter Parker ever existed:

- How did Jonah go from basement YouTuber to studio star without exposing Spider-Man's identity?
- How do Ned and MJ ever become friends without Peter as the middle man?
- How does Happy meet May without being Peter's caretaker post Civil War?

This isn't just making the world forget Peter is Spider-Man (which is bad enough), it's gaslighting his closest friends into believing their lives took different paths. It's actually kinda gross.

The better reset should have been everyone forgetting Peter is Spider-Man, but if he tells even one person, the spell is undone. That would place massive stakes on future unmaskings. But, here we are.

Wasn't the last shot of Jonah in his basement YouTube setup? I've seen the film about three times now, but I can't recall that positively.

Crimes of the Future: review forthcoming

The Black Phone: review done already, just forgot to update.

Nope: I'll talk a bit about it in this week's episode.

This Is GWAR: review forthcoming

Berserk: The Golden Age Arc III: The Advent: my oldest usually hangs out in his room, but he asked me to watch this anime with him (and also very patiently listened as he explained what happened in the first two movies every time something reminded him of it. Haha! Not an ideal viewing. But I really enjoyed the hybrid 2D and 3D animation in it.

• Features: 70
  • Documentaries: 9

• 3 weeks later...

Santo in The Treasure of Dracula, or more accurately, El Vampiro y el Sexo - Been forever since I've seen an El Santo movie.  This was not as fun as I remember the others being.  The back cover told me Santo invented a time machine, would go back in time to find Dracula's treasure to fund a children's hospital, and battle Dracula and his 'bevy of beautiful vampire vixens'.  I think we can all agree, that sounds awesome.  However, none of that happened.   I'm not entirely sure Santo and Dracula were ever on set at the same time.  I'm way more intrigued by the production and why this was never released for 40 years. 

At least I found there are several El Santo movies on Tubi, so I might have better luck there.

On 8/17/2022 at 10:26 PM, Dread said:

Bio-Dome: it was Stacy's turn to pick for movie night and because she couldn't find Encino Man she chose this. So, needless to say, the engagement is over.

• Features: 71
  • Documentaries: 9

I'm sorry for your loss.

The Living Daylights - Enjoyed Dalton in the role, but the attempts to make Bond movies more masculine made me roll my eyes a bit. Still, had fun with this, I liked the characters a fair amount.

Mission: Impossible - It's got a little too much plot for me, but it was great to watch.

Top Gun - I didn't think it would be that homoerotic. Great music video.

Rogue Hostage - Meh. Need to avoid Redbox Studios movies.

On 8/21/2022 at 5:23 PM, Davedevil said:

The Living Daylights - Enjoyed Dalton in the role, but the attempts to make Bond movies more masculine made me roll my eyes a bit. Still, had fun with this, I liked the characters a fair amount.

I should rewatch that. I have always thought of 007 as the pinnacle of stereotypical Hollywood hyper-masculinity, back into the 60's. Not sure how you make him more "masculine" than he already is. (Whether Bond is actually "masculine" is another question altogether.)

Men: review forthcoming

Trainwreck: Woodstock '99: I'm counting this as a doc, because these three part docs are really just long feature length films broken up into three for Netflix. This was good. About as good as the other one I watched (an HBO one I think?). The promoter is so fucking punchable.

• Features: 72
  • Documentaries: 10

Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero

Brainless movie title aside, this is healthily the second best DB movie since the franchise renewed itself with Battle of Gods. While I tapped out of the Super series itself years ago, I loved Super Broly, in part because the time it took to re-establish the lore and history of its universe was really cool. This does similar, with the first ten minutes focusing on the villains who have one of the coolest villain plots in the series' history, with the Z-Fighters and Bulma perceived as part of a massive conspiracy to take over the world. It sounds funny, and is, but the way they reach that conclusion is a genius bit of writing, and requires a thorough knowledge of the DB history as far back as the Red Ribbon Army Saga.

Additionally, this movie is 2/3rds a Piccolo film and 1/3rd Gohan. There's a loud conversation in this one about bringing Gohan back to the Goblin-Mode God-Tier status he was circa the Cell Games, and there's also not-so-subtle visual cues hearkening back to that era, him wearing Piccolo's outfit like he did in the Cell Games for instance. It's interesting, because there's a notable interview back in the 90s where Toriyama admitted that he made Gohan the main hero for the Buu Saga, but felt it didn't work, so he benched him and brought back Goku. There have been interviews in anticipation for this film where Toriyama express regret and is interested in Gohan as a character again. I feel that the concern expressed by Piccolo might be a touch overdone, but for fans of the character including myself, this is the movie to see your boy get his shine back.

On 8/23/2022 at 5:58 AM, S-T said:

I should rewatch that. I have always thought of 007 as the pinnacle of stereotypical Hollywood hyper-masculinity, back into the 60's. Not sure how you make him more "masculine" than he already is. (Whether Bond is actually "masculine" is another question altogether.)

I'm not the most knowledgeable of Bond, but as far as I know the Roger Moore films went into a sillier direction, like him going to space, and this was their attempt to bring it back to a grittier tone. A man being blown up, getting his blood on Bond, who then lands on a woman's boat and proceeds to have sex with her feels like it's setting a tone. I could be wrong though.

5 hours ago, Davedevil said:

I'm not the most knowledgeable of Bond, but as far as I know the Roger Moore films went into a sillier direction, like him going to space, and this was their attempt to bring it back to a grittier tone. A man being blown up, getting his blood on Bond, who then lands on a woman's boat and proceeds to have sex with her feels like it's setting a tone. I could be wrong though.

Re: masculinity, each Bond reflected their era. There was stuff Craig's Bond could not have done in the 60s in the same way Connery's Bond would have been wholly out of place in the 21st century. There's always a familiar formula/set of tropes and it would be hard to call any of them feminist (misogynist would be better viewed from someone who isn't a straight white British man such as myself). But I imagine if there was a casting description of the character, then "masculine" would be in the word cloud.

Metallica: Some Kind of Monster: I still say this is Oscar-worthy. Been meaning to watch it again for a long time. Came across it on Netflix (the DVD is currently 7 feet away from where I'm sitting) and watched it. It's scary real at times. Too raw. Really entertaining. 

Metallica: This Monster Lives: fun fact: Netflix has SKOM as a series with 2 episodes. The first episode is the feature-length doc and episode 2 is a twenty-five minute short film ten years after SKOM on the eve of the release of Through the Never (which I should probably watch at some point. 

Prey: hoping to chat about this on the podcast at some point, but I really enjoyed this.

• Features: 73
  • Shorts: 8
  • Documentaries: 11