Every film you've watched in 2022

Missy

300 and Sucker Punch: Directed by Zack Snyder

Re-watched 300 and watched Sucker Punch for the first time for this week's episode of Questions: We Don't Have Answers. We get way into them for about an hour each, but I've got no compunction saying that Sucker Punch was stunningly bad, and the worst movie I've seen all year. Holy crap, gotdamn.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Donomark said:

300 and Sucker Punch: Directed by Zack Snyder

Re-watched 300 and watched Sucker Punch for the first time for this week's episode of Questions: We Don't Have Answers. We get way into them for about an hour each, but I've got no compunction saying that Sucker Punch was stunningly bad, and the worst movie I've seen all year. Holy crap, gotdamn.

I forget who it was at the time, but one podcaster I was following at the time shat all over Sucker Punch when it came out (which was pretty much the majority opinion). I haven't seen it myself.

On 9/5/2022 at 8:47 AM, slothian said:

I forget who it was at the time, but one podcaster I was following at the time shat all over Sucker Punch when it came out (which was pretty much the majority opinion). I haven't seen it myself.

Suggested pick for the day HAA! does a Jenna Malone month.

30 for 30: Nature Boy: so I guess I watch this every year now. It's a powerful piece of documentary work. The whole thing with his son is brutal. Just heart-rending.

Thor: Love and Thunder: loud, colorful (until it isn't) and beautifully shot. Stupid and fun. Best Marvel villain by a huge margin. I don't get the backlash, but this is top tier MCU.

The Omen: franchise reckoning coming

The Little Things: an ok little downer of a crime movie. The direction is workmanlike and mostly unflashy, but Rami Malek and Denzel are amazing in it.

• Features: 76
  • Shorts: 8
  • Documentaries: 12
  • Rewatches: 1

• 2 weeks later...

Clerks III - I kinda played myself with this one.  I knew what it was probably going to be, trailers kinda confirmed that.  But then some positive reviews by people I follow came out and talked me into going.  (Only because the theater five minutes away was showing it.  If it wasn't local, not a chance.)  But this is exactly what I thought it was going to be.  That is, a comedy with a large amount of jokes that are dated/cringey, a ton of cameos for the sake of cameos, with a bit of heart at the end.  Brian O'Halloran is the standout here.  He does crush "the scene" of the movie.

In my theater of 3 people, we agreed: Better than Reboot, but still not very good.

One thing I cannot make up my mind about:

Spoiler

Getting all the customers from Clerks.  I feel like that is a nice touch (and logistically impressive), but at the same time, really takes me out of the movie.  Because now I am basically watching a worse version of Clerks.  In an already meta plot, it meta-ed a step further than I wanted to go.

On 9/9/2022 at 11:49 AM, Dread said:

Thor: Love and Thunder: loud, colorful (until it isn't) and beautifully shot. Stupid and fun. Best Marvel villain by a huge margin. I don't get the backlash, but this is top tier MCU.

It is loud, there are colors, and Christian Bale is good.

I've got no compunction saying that Sucker Punch was stunningly bad, and the worst movie I've seen all year. Holy crap, gotdamn.

Scratch that, My Son Hunter is the worst film I've seen all year.

Dashcam - The Horror Virgin podcast described the main character as a "MAGA idiot."

I am a conservative Republican, so I thought "I will watch this and see if they were overreacting."

Well, I did disagree with them, because they undersold  how annoying and obnoxious this woman is. I couldn't take it so I tapped out after 16 minutes and took the DVD back to Redbox.

I don't know if I can even qualify this as a movie I watched, since I watched only 1/6 of it.

Here is the movie.

Omen III: The Final Conflict: I could have taken an entire five season TV show of Sam Neill as Damien Thorn.

Edit: I guess I forgot to add Damien: The Omen II.

Omen IV: The Awakening: basically filmed in my old neighborhood back in 1991. That was about the birth of the "Hollywood North" era of Vancouver.

The Omen (2006): the biggest slog to get through, but probably will bring the most interesting conversation of the lot.

Chaw: review forthcoming

The Omen Legacy: forgot to count this, and to mention in my upcoming podcast on the series that Damien's first nanny (the "it's all for you, Damien" girl) is Jack Palance's daughter.

Proteges of the Black Rose/Straight to VHS/ Uncharted/The Awakener/Tam Lin: reviews forthcoming

• Features: 86
  • Documentaries: 13

• 4 weeks later...
Halloween Kills

A modern "villagers hunt the monster" story is an interesting idea, but it missed the mark. The main reason: just before they catch him, we're reminded Michael is a mentally ill six year old in a man's body. So when they start piling on, I felt bad for him. And that shouldn't be my reaction.

Nor should I then be happy when he's able to get up and fight back. Maybe that's the Michael Myers fan in me, but in the moment it felt good to see his strike back at his rabid attackers.

And while I dig how they filled in the gaps between Halloween 1978 and 2018, showing us how it erases Halloween II (1981), it's too all over the place for its own good.

Watcher: reviewed in this week's episode of DM

Everything Everywhere All at Once: finally got around to seeing this. It's a little confusing and hard to follow at times, but the acting is charming and the visuals are exciting. It has a lot of heart. Definitely earns the many best of lists it will be on.

Luckiest Girl Alive: not what you think it is. I've never given Mila Kunis props as a serious actress (probably because the only non-comedy I've seen her in is American Psycho 2) but she was pretty great. This is a really intriguing story told in two timelines that is both super-typical of a certain subgenre but also has some really surprising moments. The ending SUCKS. But overall, pretty good.

Side note: I'm not enjoying movie endings lately, so I thought that maybe I was in a shitty mood and needed to smoke more pot, but I adored the ending of EEAAO, so I might still just smoke more pot to see if it helps anyway.

• Features: 89

Halloween Ends

Huh.

Literally just finished it, so my thoughts aren't formed. But I will say that's very much where I saw Allyson going based on the ending of Halloween (2018). The rest, I don't know. After Halloween Kills, it makes sense the

Spoiler

town would push someone so far they become Michael Myers Jr. But it almost felt like another slasher movie was wrapped in a Halloween skin. (Or, should I say "a William Shatner mask?") Oh, and the killer killing themselves "to win" is a trope I hate.

This timeline is deferentially done and dusted, so I'll give it that. THOUGH

Spoiler

I did not need the tease of Michael's mask sitting on Laurie's table. Like, that's fucking evidence.

Bloodshot - Very good, nice twist. A lot of fun. Also, they push that PG-13 to the absolute limit. Probably should have gotten an R.

Last Seen Alive - Gerard Butler carries a film that wasn't bad, but kinda "meh." Why does this American have a Scottish accent?

Black Adam - This was the first movie I have seen in the theater since "The Hunt" in March 2020. Theater was surprisingly empty on opening weekend, even for a Sunday afternoon.

Complaints: Billy Batson should have been in this movie, especially since the Wizard Shazam was in it. (Batson's super-hero alter ego will always be Captain Marvel to me.)

Spoiler

Having Superman show up at the end was great, but it really should have been Captain Marvel. That would have been a much more logical choice.

The people who wrote this seem to be fans of the JSA run from 20 years ago, and in the comics Black Adam has a history with Hawkman and Doctor Fate that goes back thousands of years. Plus he has a close friendship with Atom Smasher.

None of that was touched on at all in the movie, so including those guys makes no sense for people who didn't read those comics.

Prince of Darkness: watched this one again to guest on the Lobby Boys podcast

Barbarian: This was the Halloween film choice and it did not disappoint. I'll probably talk about it this week on the show.

• Features: 91

Rebecca: captures all the mundane mystery of the original with very little of the flair. Feels completely sterile and a huge disappointment for me considering it's Ben Wheatley. Too slow and the acting doesn't save it. Hard pass.

The Evil Dead: talking about this on an upcoming show. Been a while since I've seen it.

• Features: 94

Black Adam - Saw this the weekend it came out and I am surprised at the lack of discussion I've seen.  Outside of one podcast (that covers the box office each week),  I've heard zero.  And I kinda understand why.  This was a completely uninspired film.  It's not bad, but I can't rate it above an "it exists".

Spoiler

This was not a Black Adam movie.  This was a JSA movie.  Or more specifically, it felt more like a Doctor Fate movie.  The Rock brought nothing to the role, and was kinda the worst part of the movie.  I take that back, because the kid was the worst part.  Super annoying and not very good at the acting. 

Weird - It is exactly what you think it is.  I enjoyed it.  Not every joke landed, but more hit than missed.  Although, not a great viewing experience.  I hate commercials in a movie.  Pulls me out too much.  I get the entire point Roku did this was to get exposure, but not having an ad free option was a mistake.  I swear, I think I got 3 commercial breaks in 10 minutes.  Total turn off to the service.

1 hour ago, Professor said:

Black Adam - Saw this the weekend it came out and I am surprised at the lack of discussion I've seen.  Outside of one podcast (that covers the box office each week),  I've heard zero.  And I kinda understand why.  This was a completely uninspired film.  It's not bad, but I can't rate it above an "it exists".

Reveal hidden contents

This was not a Black Adam movie.  This was a JSA movie.  Or more specifically, it felt more like a Doctor Fate movie.  The Rock brought nothing to the role, and was kinda the worst part of the movie.  I take that back, because the kid was the worst part.  Super annoying and not very good at the acting. 

Weird - It is exactly what you think it is.  I enjoyed it.  Not every joke landed, but more hit than missed.  Although, not a great viewing experience.  I hate commercials in a movie.  Pulls me out too much.  I get the entire point Roku did this was to get exposure, but not having an ad free option was a mistake.  I swear, I think I got 3 commercial breaks in 10 minutes.  Total turn off to the service.

Regarding BA: my recent policy regarding Marvel movies and big studio superhero movies that don't make me go "holy shit I have to see that" is to wait for streaming.

I'm intrigued by Weird. But I'm not getting Roku to see it. This is a different part of my policies. No new streamers just to watch one thing. I say this after having grabbed a trial of Starz channel on Prime to watch a few movies I need for the podcast but also Heels is on there.

4 minutes ago, Dread said:

Regarding BA: my recent policy regarding Marvel movies and big studio superhero movies that don't make me go "holy shit I have to see that" is to wait for streaming.

I'm intrigued by Weird. But I'm not getting Roku to see it. This is a different part of my policies. No new streamers just to watch one thing. I say this after having grabbed a trial of Starz channel on Prime to watch a few movies I need for the podcast but also Heels is on there.

It get waiting for streaming.  Personally, going to the theater helps with my increasingly lack of attention span these day.  Also, it is 5 minutes away and cost $5.  So, there is that.

Also, Roku is completely free.  There is no getting of a thing.  No trial/sign-up needed.  Just have to sit thru ads.  (That said, it might be different in Canada.)

2 hours ago, Professor said:

It get waiting for streaming.  Personally, going to the theater helps with my increasingly lack of attention span these day.  Also, it is 5 minutes away and cost $5.  So, there is that.

Also, Roku is completely free.  There is no getting of a thing.  No trial/sign-up needed.  Just have to sit thru ads.  (That said, it might be different in Canada.)

Fair. My theatre is also about five minutes away but is way more expensive than that and has only one screen. I have been able to see a few movies there this year (Nope, Black Phone) but the next closest theatre is over an hours drive away, so my policy has been wait for streaming for a while. In Canada, at least how I understand it, is you need either the Roku box or a Roku TV to use it. And that I won't be doing. Also, if I'm using a streamer that has ads, it's going to be Tubi thanks to all the beautiful trash they have.

Evil Dead II/Corrective Measures/Santo in the Treasure of Dracula/Santo Vs The Riders of Terror: all to be covered on the podcast soon.

Blue Demon: Death Night/Lux Aeterna: reviews forthcoming

Santo: Fist of Death/Santo in The Vengeance of the Mummy/Hellbaby/To All a Good Night: podcast fodder

This is Gwar: tick this in the rewatch column. Also for the podcast.

The Girl on the Train: this is so convoluted. skip it.

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent: this was an absolute blast.

• Features: 107
  • Rewatches: 2

• 2 weeks later...