Every film you've watched in 2022

Missy

Black Adam: finally saw it, and I have to say, I really enjoyed it. Some weird stuff like the anachronistic dialogue from The Rock (they don't even try to make him seem out of place) and the Justice Society coming out of nowhere introducing four new characters who are an established force in the DCCU. Still, the action was incredible. The powers looked amazing. I liked Cyclone which I've never done in the comics. And, Sarah Shahi. Overall, pretty good.

Army of Darkness: fuck this movie is fun. I'm going to try and watch the extended cut before I have to record.

Evil Dead: the remake.

Oculus: review forthcoming

Willow: it's one of Stacy's favourite movies and I needed a refresher before the show as I hadn't seen it since it first came out. This is a pretty sharp film that has some funny moments and some good action moments. That damned baby has the most expressive face of any baby I've ever seen. It looks small, which I don't remember. It has a similar look and feel to The Sword and the Sorcerer and Beastmaster. I didn't expect that from a Ron Howard/George Lucas joint.

The Sound of Scars: documentary on the wild story of the band Life of Agony. It gets into everything that you want to hear about. I'll talk about it more on the podcast.

• Features: 112
  • Shorts: 8
  • Documentaries: 14
  • Rewatches: 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Margin Call (2011):

A more serious, Wall Street focused tale about the 2007-2008 Financial Market Crash headed by a Murderer's Row of stars:

Kevin Spacey (who is Cancelled)

Jeremy Irons

Demi Moore

Paul Bettany

Zachary Quinto

Penn Badgley

Simon Baker

Aziz Ansari

Stanley Tucci

This is really an actor's movie, where unlike The Big Short, it doesn't work as hard to let the viewer know precisely how what's going on is going on, but it is fun to see everyone react. I enjoy watching very good actors underplay deeply dramatic moments, and this is full of realistic conversations and even-tempered dialogue. Penn Badgley's the one guy I was most curious about, as I've seen the least from him but really enjoy his work from the show "You" and a couple other things. He plays the young, somewhat self-interested hotshot analyst, which is a change from his more determined characters. Paul Bettany is also good as a seasoned, slightly cynical stock broker guy. Overall a fine movie.

Notting Hill (1999):

Yeah, this is definitely a 90s movie alright. I'm sure I'm the last person on Earth-2 to have watched this for the first time. In a decade which already worshipped Julia Roberts, that metatext is subsumed into the text of the film's plot, and a simple story of a normal guy dating a big celebrity only goes so far for me in terms of supreme nuance. I mean, it's good, but I was thinking it'd be a bit more than the sum of its parts. I will say the press junket scene was pretty cool, considering I've been doing the same thing for over ten years. I'll also say that I would not have changed my mind on Anna after rejecting her near the end if I were Hugh Grant. I think the whole "Oh, but she really means it this time" only carried so much for the needs of a happy ending, because he was right in protecting his sanity by the end. When we get into the merry chase sequence, that's when I was like "Oh right, this is a Hollywood movie". It's fine, but I would've been down for something a bit less pat.

Men in Black International (Men in Black 4) - It was fine. Worth watching if you like the MIB franchise. Was surprised to see Liam Neeson in something other than a straight-to-video action movie.

It does take place in the same universe. One of the things I hate about Hollywood over the last 25 years is the refusal to put numbers on sequels.

• 2 weeks later...

Uh oh

I've kept no record of movies watched for two weeks. shit. Gonna try and update this now:

Labyrinth: one of Stacy's favourites, and since I bought her a Ludo figure for Christmas we watched it. I haven't seen it since it first came out, so I remembered very little. There was an early fear from this movie in the scene with the old lady with all her stuff on her back starts loading Jennifer Connelly up with her own stuff really fucked me up as a kid. Watching it now, I was kind of blown away how the movie doesn't really make an effort to emphasize the terror of that in any way. All in my head. This was good. The musical numbers were, as the kids say, cringe.

Hellraiser: I'm, not even sure about this yet. Watched it last night.

X: I loved this. Mia Goth is amazing. I'm making every effort to see Pearl before the year is out. Tonight, probably.

Four Christmases: this movie is so good in the beginning (the first two christmases) and then it just dives into suck.

Better Watch Out: this was a lot of fun. Duane has been telling me to watch this for years and now I did. Good shit.

Slayers: review forthcoming

Guns of Eden: I've watched this movie THREE times this year and never logged it. 

I'm sure there's more.

Pearl: the hype is real

More:

Run Sweetheart Run: wanted to get to this. It's awesome. I just watched it for shits and giggles,, but may review it on the podcast. Would still be blown away had I not just watched...

Glorious: review forthcoming.

V/H/S/99: review forthcoming

• Features: 124
  • Rewatches: 4

Clerks 3: Maybe I needed to be a fan of this franchise in the 1990's for it to connect with me. It didn't. Maybe I needed to see the first two in order to get this one, and I have not seen them. I haven't seen any of the movies in this series, so this probably wasn't the best jumping-on point.

Anyway, I didn't like it. At all.

Last Seen Alive: terrible last movie of the year. To think I could have watched The Northman instead. This is The Vanishing meets Taken except no one knows how to build suspense, or write a coherent script, or have a plot that anyone with a working brain would say doesn't make sense.

Mr. Harrigan's Phone: a movie I definitely watched this year that I enjoyed more than Black Phone, but I didn't log it.

I think this is my final count. At least as final as it will get.

• Features: 126

On 12/31/2022 at 12:07 AM, S-T said:

Clerks 3: Maybe I needed to be a fan of this franchise in the 1990's for it to connect with me. It didn't. Maybe I needed to see the first two in order to get this one, and I have not seen them. I haven't seen any of the movies in this series, so this probably wasn't the best jumping-on point.

Anyway, I didn't like it. At all.

Just curious as to why you chose to watch Clerks 3, having not seen the others. 

Also, no.  Seeing the others would have done nothing to improve the quality of the film.  It is utter crap.

On 1/6/2023 at 2:24 PM, Professor said:

Just curious as to why you chose to watch Clerks 3, having not seen the others.

I had enough points to get a free rental from Redbox, and I knew a lot of people liked this franchise, so I figured I would give it a try. I would have had to pay to rent the others.

After being reminded of it by a movie I watched last night, I looked and the following was one of those that I forgot to count in this thread and thus lost it its space on my end of the year list...

Psycho Goreman: a perfect slice of children's horror that's maybe not really for children at all.

^ wrong. That was 2021. Feature count amended

• Features: 126