Episode 04 - Dumbo

RSS

Ian Wilson joins Christian to survey Disney’s fourth wonder of the animated world: the beloved yet infamous Dumbo. In addition to the film’s sublime cuteness and brief yet regrettable racism, Earth-2.net’s Largest American and Greatest Briton also discuss the Disney animators’ strike prior to the film’s release (including Walt’s less-than-admirable behavior before, during, and after), their respective Disney theme park experiences, and the pitfalls of relying on subtitles while watching movies. [ 1:26:26 || 43.1 MB ]

• Missy changed the title to Episode 03 - Dumbo
  • Missy changed the title to Episode 04 - Dumbo

Halfway thru the ep and enjoying it. Speaking for myself, I actually find the crows ironically funny. Partly because they're so over the top, and partly because there's a real flummoxed "AW HELL NAW WTF" sort of response black people I know have with them. Like, laughing because they are so cartoonishly offensive, like obviously meant to be black guys in such a way that it's funny, but not in the same vibe as a Ralph Bashki kind of thing. Honestly, the whole "I ain't NEVA seen an Elephant fly!" series of riffs and the fact that the movie ends with that song just makes me laugh. It's not fuckin' cool, but it's also funny in a that's-so-wrong kind of way. YMMV.

That roustabout song tho is really hurtful and offensive, in a backhand-fools-in-the-mouth reaction kind of way.

Race will be an interesting challenge going throughout the series, because one might argue that it still doesn't get better until the 21st century. Your mileage may vary on this, but I know for a fact that there are people who found/find Aladdin offensive (rewritten song lyrics notwithstanding), Mulan dicey (the Huns having yellow eyes of evil), and even some lore mythology stuff like in Brother Bear. It'll be tricky waters to wade through, which should add to the fun!

14 hours ago, Donomark said:

Race will be an interesting challenge going throughout the series, because one might argue that it still doesn't get better until the 21st century. Your mileage may vary on this, but I know for a fact that there are people who found/find Aladdin offensive (rewritten song lyrics notwithstanding), Mulan dicey (the Huns having yellow eyes of evil), and even some lore mythology stuff like in Brother Bear. It'll be tricky waters to wade through, which should add to the fun!

Absolutely. I've never heard of there being a racial furore for the animated Aladdin movie (moreso the live action film having a white guy involved), but Mulan's a good shout. Also the gypsies in Hunchback of Notre Dame and whether the film got the balance right. And if you think Hercules looks Greek in the slightest....

19 hours ago, slothian said:

Absolutely. I've never heard of there being a racial furore for the animated Aladdin movie (moreso the live action film having a white guy involved), but Mulan's a good shout. Also the gypsies in Hunchback of Notre Dame and whether the film got the balance right. And if you think Hercules looks Greek in the slightest....

Seconded. There are more instances of racism in the package films but Peter Pan will definitely be a big milestone in that discussion.