Rate the creator: Jim Lee

Missy

Rate him.  

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here's his bio.

I wasn't reading comics that heavily during his X-Men heyday, but I began following his work shortly into WildCATS and liked what I saw. Since then I've gone back and picked up most of his X-Men work, and, though it's somewhat dated, it holds up for the most part.

His yearlong Hush run is, in my opinion, Lee's best work ever, and I would love to see him pencil JLA.

As much as I'd love to give him a 9, I can't. The delays that often plague his books, some obvious rush jobs, and his self-inked work bring him down to a very respectable 8.

Okay Yoda, fair points, but you fail to realise that this guy is a modern icon who produces unlike, MCBaseballLane and the scary Leafy-Field. Yes he does slip but hey he is great. This is the man who is covering Crisis. Look at his first X-men comic andthen check out those covers. This guy has grown and continues to.......

X-Men #248

Infinite Crisis #1 :good:

Oh yes, Jim has grown much since his Marvel debut and I think he's awesomely talented, but I can't ignore his problem with tardiness and I feel he has to be marked down for it.

Let me put it this way: I would rate Mark Bagley a 7. He too has grown and adapted, and constantly makes Ultimate Spider-Man a visually interesting read. But I would bump him up one notch, to an 8, because of how he's able to produce a monthly book (and sometimes it's released twice a month) without so much as a hiccup in the schedule.

Simply put, if I'm going to rate someone higher because they're consistent, than I have to rate someone lower if they're known to be late.

• 2 weeks later...

Late reply. :)

I voted him a seven. He pretty much personified the line-heavy muscleman style of the mid 90s, but I'm starting to see some of the flaws in his work lately. He seems to not have the ability to draw a woman who isn't straight-up stacked, and his crazy detail-centric style can distract from the action going on in the foreground from time to time.

He's still a superstar artist, and his partnership with Scott Williams is probably one of the best historical penciler / inker collaborations in the modern era, but I'm slowly losing my love for him as I'm becoming more critical of what I read. In the 90s, when he was on X-Men and later WildCATs, and I was a bit younger, I'd have ranked him a nine.

• 3 weeks later...

I do like his artwork, but I actually wasn't as keen on some of his Hush stuff - X-Men 1, however, I love, as well as the stuff with Omega Red. He did some amazing work, and I loved his Gambit and Wolverine above all others.

Took a ludicrous amount of time away though, which knocks him down to an eight for me.