The First Avenger: Captain America

Missy

Avi Arad recently stated that he has both a leading man and director in mind for the upcoming Captain America film (which he wouldn't reveal), but not to expect the film until 2009. He also said:

"One of the things our movie is going to deal with is what happened in 60 years," says Arad. "Which world was better? Sixty years ago or now? Within, obviously, a kick-ass plot and all the stuff that you've come to expect from a superhero movie."

Yeah, you know what, this can turn out really good or terribly bad. I mean, in the hands of a great director, we will feel Steve's pain as he visits the graves of long-dead friends. The director will examine how war and politics have changed over these past 60 years, same with the treatment of veterans. An honest look at America is what this film could turn out to be.

In the hands of a shitty director, however, Steve will fumble with his iPod. And a young pop-punk girl named Bucky will teach him how to skateboard.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I liked Punisher,F4 and Daredevil. The worst comic adaption has to be Man-thing. If the movie has a similar feel to the current Cap comic is gonna be great

Batman & Robin.

At least Batman & Robin has Uma Thurman and Alica Sliverstone looking fine, Man-thing has nothing redeeming about it all.

• 2 weeks later...
I liked Punisher,F4 and Daredevil. The worst comic adaption has to be Man-thing. If the movie has a similar feel to the current Cap comic is gonna be great

I'm with you Ragnerok...while I never saw Punisher, I DID like Fantastic 4 and Daredevil. Catwoman and Elektra did suck something fierce. The X-Men and Spider-Man franchises all focused on something fairly deep. They managed to strike a chord with the audience and those are great comic book adaptions.

Fantastic 4 and Daredevil may not have been deep in the same way, but that doesn't mean they weren't good. I don't expect every comic book movie to make me think, but I do hope that Captain America will be a movie that DOES make us think. But there are some movies or franchises where I know it is ust going to be pure popcorn. It doesn't always have to have hidden depth. F4 and Daredevil, I think would both do quite well as sequels if for no other reason then they dont have to rehash the origin for the audience again.

I disliked the Hulk mainly because it felt like it WANTED us to think in a similar way to Spiderman or X-Men but didnt want to put in the same effort. They spent over half the movie working on the origin....which I COULD be okay with, but then once he DID change into the Hulk, we practically never saw Bruce Banner again. The emotional resonance to the Hulk...where we see him become a 3 dimensional character is when we see Banner dealing with his guilt and remorse.

At any rate, with three plus years of planning, I hope they boost Captain America into the same level as SM and XM. If its only the level of Daredevil or F4, I'm sure I'll enjoy it regardless but it will have been a waste on their part, because that's too much effort to put into a movie that is only good, instead of great.

• 2 years later...
Kevin Feige, president of Marvel Studios, confirmed that the upcoming The First Avenger: Captain America will be a World War II period piece, like the comic book on which it is based, and he shot down a rumor that Matthew McConaughey was in line to play the hero.

Feige, speaking to online journalists at Universal Studios on May 21, added that Captain America would help set up the eventual Avengers movie, which follows six weeks later. (Feige also confirmed what many fans have speculated: that the star-shaped object in Tony Stark's workshop in Iron Man is indeed part of Cap's famous shield.)

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?c...=0&id=54651

Also he said the release date is May 6, 2011.

• 2 months later...

This is a rumor I've been hearing bounced around for a while. From SuperheroHype, in the "very probably never going to happen" file:

John Barrowman, the star of "Torchwood," was just asked moments ago at the San Diego Comic-Con panel if there was any possibility that he would be playing Captain America in the upcoming feature film.

He smiled and gave the stock answer that he'd love to play the character and that Captain America has always been his favorite comic book superhero. Clearly, though, the notion did not take him by surprise and he ended up admitting there had been discussions with his agents and meetings on that very issue.

What do you think? Though maybe not the star-power that the studio might be looking for, Barrowman certainly fits the bill. We'll bring you more news as it develops.

The First Avenger: Captain America is currently scheduled for a May 6, 2011 release.

Here's my thoughts. We've had a few Captain America films and 1 film where he fights a killer Spider-Man. In all films the films were handled terribly. Although they are watchable they have to get on the ball and really be careful on how they make this film.

The films out, if you haven't seen them are:

Captain America (1944)

3 Dev Adam(1973)(aka Three Mighty Men: Turkish Spider-Man vs Turkish Captain America){terrible film}

Captain America(1979)

Captain America II: Death Too Soon(1979)

Captain America (1990)

All these films(except 3 Dev Adam)are worth a look at. The 1990 film was originally supposed to come out theatrical. They are not available on an official DVD, but you can get fan sets.

This is a rumor I've been hearing bounced around for a while. From SuperheroHype, in the "very probably never going to happen" file:

John Barrowman, the star of "Torchwood," was just asked moments ago at the San Diego Comic-Con panel if there was any possibility that he would be playing Captain America in the upcoming feature film.

He smiled and gave the stock answer that he'd love to play the character and that Captain America has always been his favorite comic book superhero. Clearly, though, the notion did not take him by surprise and he ended up admitting there had been discussions with his agents and meetings on that very issue.

What do you think? Though maybe not the star-power that the studio might be looking for, Barrowman certainly fits the bill. We'll bring you more news as it develops.

The First Avenger: Captain America is currently scheduled for a May 6, 2011 release.

NOOO!!! Fuck that for an idea, lets get someone good. Barrowman, bless him, is a long way from being a Captain America.

Here's my thoughts. We've had a few Captain America films and 1 film where he fights a killer Spider-Man. In all films the films were handled terribly. Although they are watchable they have to get on the ball and really be careful on how they make this film.

The films out, if you haven't seen them are:

Captain America (1944)

3 Dev Adam(1973)(aka Three Mighty Men: Turkish Spider-Man vs Turkish Captain America){terrible film}

Captain America(1979)

Captain America II: Death Too Soon(1979)

Captain America (1990)

All these films(except 3 Dev Adam)are worth a look at. The 1990 film was originally supposed to come out theatrical. They are not available on an official DVD, but you can get fan sets.

I would debate very, very strongly that any of these films are watchable. I haven't seen the 40s version (which was a weekly serial, not a standalone movie), but I have seen bits and pieces of the Turkish version (which will blanch your soul and should never be viewed by anyone EVER), the 90s version (which was just terrible), and I reviewed the 70s movies a couple of weeks ago, and honestly believe the first one to be, hands down, the worst comic book movie ever made.

NOOO!!! Fuck that for an idea, lets get someone good. Barrowman, bless him, is a long way from being a Captain America.

As much as I love Barrowman, I've never seen him in a role where he was able to tone down the cheese.

I would debate very, very strongly that any of these films are watchable. I haven't seen the 40s version (which was a weekly serial, not a standalone movie), but I have seen bits and pieces of the Turkish version (which will blanch your soul and should never be viewed by anyone EVER), the 90s version (which was just terrible), and I reviewed the 70s movies a couple of weeks ago, and honestly believe the first one to be, hands down, the worst comic book movie ever made.

Well the first 2 films were made on a TV Budget for the hopes of a TV Series. That's how I think about it. It's been a while since I've seen them, I myself have to get the DVD's. Where did you review them?

The 1990 film was meant to be theatrical and felt they should have done better, because of that by itself. The Turkish film is the worse comic book film ever made, even worse than Howard the Duck(which at least has a cult following).

I've only seen bits and pieces of the 1940's serial and its a decent try. It is after all the very first Marvel character to make it to the big screen.

Personally, I've long thought that John Barrowman should play Captain America. He's attractive yet manly, has a strong presence, oozes charm and he knows how to play a man out of time. On top of that, he deserves credit for delivering the greatest line ever uttered in B-grade cinema:

By the way, this is NSFW!

Well the first 2 films were made on a TV Budget for the hopes of a TV Series. That's how I think about it. It's been a while since I've seen them, I myself have to get the DVD's. Where did you review them?

Click on the Nick Fury banner in my sig. antimattermultiverse.com is a good place to find DVDs for this and loads of other hard to find comic flicks.

I've only seen bits and pieces of the 1940's serial and its a decent try. It is after all the very first Marvel character to make it to the big screen.

I really dig 1940s serials. I'll have to look out for this one.

Personally, I've long thought that John Barrowman should play Captain America. He's attractive yet manly, has a strong presence, oozes charm and he knows how to play a man out of time.

It never occured to me, but I can see it. Still, I would really need to see him do something that wasn't Captain Jack or Shark Attack 3 before I could really wrap my head around it.

• 1 month later...

Here's a casting rumor that might be a little controversial...

How do you sell a character as anachronistic as Captain America to a modern audience? Get the one actor so wide-appealing that he can sell anything to a global audience.

Out doing press for Spike Lee's "Miracle at St. Anna", actor Derek Luke let slip an interesting casting rumor he heard on the grapevine.

"I heard they offered Will Smith ‘Captain America'...just shows you how times have changed" the young thesp told MTV News. Luke himself said he is keen on certain roles - "I would love to jump into Green Lantern. There are a lot of stories I’m into… [like] Black Panther."

Of course Smith's schedule is highly in demand this report is little more than second-hand gossip for now, but it does bring up some interesting possibilities.

I'm honestly not sure how I'd feel about that. On one hand, he's a very good actor with the kind of presence that would make people follow him, both in the movie and to the box office (Of course, I can't imagine them signing him for a 3 picture deal, plus the Avengers movie). On the other hand, he's black. Personally, I don't know if Cap's image is so iconic that there needs to be a certain type of actor to play him, but I can imagine a lot of fanboys blanching because of this. Of course, the same could be said with a very gay man playing the role, too (John Barrowman).

Is Cap's history tied in with what race he is?

When you consider the past, Captain America very much needs to be a white man. There's no way the United States government of the 1940s would have made the symbol of American freedom and hope a black man. It's been shown in the comics that Super-Soldier serum was tested on black men, but it was the blond-haired, blue-eyed Steve Rogers that was given the costume.

So if this movie is going to have roots in WWII, yet they still cast Smith, the producers are asking us to ignore history.

Multiple sources from MARVEL have confirmed that Derek Luke, of Spike Lee's MIRACLE AT ST. ANNA, doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to Will Smith and CAPTAIN AMERICA. Marvel never offered the part, nor did they approach or entertain a conversation about Will Smith for CAPTAIN AMERICA.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38258

Like Yoda said, he needs to be white because of the time he is from. It is ironic considering we were fighting the Nazis who's "master race" idea mirrored the racism in our own country at the time.

• 4 weeks later...

Some plot details have been released. I don't think anything here is a spoiler for anybody who knows anything about Capt. America but they put spoiler tags at 411mania and so will I.

Production Weekly has a new plot synopsis for The First Avenger: Captain America which includes news that the movie will be set during World War II.

"Born during the Great Depression, Steve Rogers grew up a frail youth in a poor family. Horrified by the newsreel footage of the Nazis in Europe, Rogers was inspired to enlist in the army. However, because of his frailty and sickness, he was rejected. Overhearing the boy's earnest plea, General Chester Phillips offered Rogers the opportunity to take part in a special experiment... Operation: Rebirth. After weeks of tests, Rogers was at last administered the Super-Solider Serum and bombarded by "vita-rays." Steve Rogers emerged from the treatment with a body as perfect as a body can be and still be human. Rogers was then put through an intensive physical and tactical training program. Three months later, he was given his first assignment as Captain America. Armed with his indestructible shield and battle savvy, Captain America has continued his war against evil both as a sentinel of liberty and as leader of the Avengers."

Credit: Production Weekly

From 411mania.com

Sounds like they're sticking to the original origin and the WWII era.