The First Avenger: Captain America

Missy

Check his name in the credits, Tom.

James Montgomery Falsworth

It did need some Keene fucking Marlowe, though.

Good catch Preston.

Yeah, I had so much fun with this that the second I'm back at home later this week I'm going to go see it again. It's so rare that a non-edgy hero like Cap is likeable and interesting but they did a fantastic job with it. He in himself was never OTT pro America, he just came off as sincere, dedicated and exactly who Steve Rogers should be. You can argue about the nature of various portrayals of characters on film, RDJ's Tony Stark is very much more RDJ than a traditional Tony Stark. Some had a problem with Tobey Maguire's Peter Parker. Christian Bale's Batman voice is bizarre. However I don't think there's a single aspect of Steve Rogers that Evans didn't fulfil. He was just awesome in the role.

And the thin-to-giant visual trickery was freaking awesome, I was so impressed by how they pulled that off. One of people I saw it with said she was convinced it was a different actor.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the thin-to-giant visual trickery was freaking awesome, I was so impressed by how they pulled that off. One of people I saw it with said she was convinced it was a different actor.

The original plan was to use a small actor, then map Evans' head onto said body. However, from what I read, the director said Chris Evans has such a very distinct way of walking and moving, that no one could mimic his body language. So they had to use the painstaking (but oh so worth it) method we saw in the film.

The original plan was to use a small actor, then map Evans' head onto said body. However, from what I read, the director said Chris Evans has such a very distinct way of walking and moving, that no one could mimic his body language. So they had to use the painstaking (but oh so worth it) method we saw in the film.

It was the same stuff as they used in Lord of the Rings right? I honestly couldn't see the line where the effects began and ended, but one of my group said he could tell there were some inconsistencies with Evan's height.

It's a similar technique, but so much more advanced. Making someone look short is one thing, taking over 100 pounds off of them is something else. And yeah, sometimes I could tell it was a digital effect, but it mostly blew my mind.

My only gripe with it is that small Steve had the same deep voice as large Steve. I'm not saying he should have been squeaky, but there should have been a slight difference there.

It's a similar technique, but so much more advanced. Making someone look short is one thing, taking over 100 pounds off of them is something else. And yeah, sometimes I could tell it was a digital effect, but it mostly blew my mind.

My only gripe with it is that small Steve had the same deep voice as large Steve. I'm not saying he should have been squeaky, but there should have been a slight difference there.

Small guys can have deep voices though. For example-

It was the same stuff as they used in Lord of the Rings right? I honestly couldn't see the line where the effects began and ended, but one of my group said he could tell there were some inconsistencies with Evan's height.

Lord of the Rings was 90% camera-work, actually, since the actors just needed to look shorter, not skinnier like Steve Rogers. Most of the times you see a hobbit or dwarf standing in the same room, you don't see both the actor's faces at the same time because they're using doubles. And when they actually do show their faces, they just transposed an image of the actor onto the double. They used a similar thing in Harry Potter for Hagrid.

Cap, on the other hand, had his face digitally shrunken in every single shot. It's ridiculous how photo-perfect they got him. I wouldn't be surprised if Cap got a visual effects or makeup nod at the Oscars.