The First Avenger: Captain America

Missy

I think Hugo Weaving as Red Skull is gonna be awesome. Definitely excited about this one. I never had a problem with Heath Ledger cast as the Joker, and so I'm hesitant to say this because I don't want to come off as a whiny fanboy - but I've never been a Marvel guy except Spider-Man, but Chris Evans? Really??? I really just don't see it. I hope he does Captain America justice, or Marvel goes to John Krasinski - I'm an Office fan. And when it was announced he was in the running, it took some time but I adjusted to the idea .. right before Evans was announced.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Chris Evans in The Losers at the weekend, and whilst he was again playing a Torch-style comic character he certainly looked like he could pull off being Cap. Plus there was one great scene that if it hadn't been taken directly from the comic I'd say was a complete dig at Evans being cast as Cap.

He tells these guards he's a government experiment gone wrong, a supersoldier with crazy powers.

I think it largely depends on the script and how they pitch Steve, if he's too jokey then I'll blame the writers first and foremost.

• 3 weeks later...
Marvel Studios announced today that Oscar® winning actor Tommy Lee Jones has been cast to star as US Army Colonel Chester Phillips in the studio’s highly anticipated movie CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER opposite Chris Evans, Hugo Weaving, Hayley Atwell, Sebastian Stan and Stanley Tucci. In the early comics, Phillips recruited Steve Rogers to join Project Rebirth, the secret experiment that created the Super Soldier known as Captain America. The character will be updated for the film. Joe Johnston will direct the film penned by Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely.

Source

Marvel Studios announced today that Dominic Cooper has been cast to star as Howard Stark in the studio’s highly anticipated movie CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER opposite Chris Evans, Tommy Lee Jones, Hugo Weaving, Hayley Atwell, Sebastian Stan, and Stanley Tucci. In the film, Cooper will portray the younger version of Howard Stark, the character which John Slattery portrayed in IRON MAN 2. Joe Johnston will direct the film penned by Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely.

Source

• 2 weeks later...
Empire magazine chatted with Chris Evans about the Captain America: The First Avenger costume and the testing of the shield. Here's an excerpt from the interview:

"It’s an amazing costume. Given the fact that his costume is red, white and blue, and it’s tight, and it could be kind of flash and over the top – and given the fact that the movie takes place in the ‘40s and ‘50s – they’ve done a really good job of making it look really cool."

"I think everyone that’s going to see it is going to say, 'Okay, well done. Well done. I think they got the costume right. The casting they completely ruined, but the costume they nailed!'"

In comparison to his lithe, skin-tight Fantastic Four costume, Evans says: “[in the FF suit] …you could move around quite well. This is a little more cumbersome. It doesn’t exactly breathe the way the Fantastic Four costume breathed, but it’s the way it should be. Any type of World War II uniform would be a little chunky, and I think that’s what kind of gives it its character.”

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/103516-chris-evans-talks-captain-america-costume

I want him to publicly challenge Ryan Reynolds in a "who can do more comic movies" challenge.

They are quite close in you're only counting adaptations (Reynolds plays the imaginary captain excellent in upcoming Paper Man). Completed or announced films by each-

Ryan Reynolds

Blade Trinity

Wolverine

Deadpool

Green Lantern

Chris Evans

Fantastic Four

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

The Losers

Scott Pilgrim vs The World

The First Avenger: Captain America

The Avengers

Wow. Actually they aren't close. And Evans hasn't even landed a major DC hero yet, and he'd be great for The Flash. Sorry Ryan Reynolds, whenever the internet is asked to decide who should play someone in a comic book film, I'm going to have to answer Chris Evans. Its his gimmick now, not yours.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks nice. I'm still holding out hope that his badass triangular shield makes an appearance.

I think if they want to make a deal out of that it would be in early press clippings showing cap's first days in the war, and then they switch up to the circular one. They could reference it, but to be honest its less complicated to just go with the normal one.

Also, that shield is pretty much exactly what I was hoping for, simple, practical and iconic.