Isaac Hayes quits South Park

Missy

Isaac Hayes Quits 'South Park'

By ERIN CARLSON, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - Isaac Hayes has quit "South Park," where he voices Chef, saying he can no longer stomach its take on religion.

Hayes, who has played the ladies' man/school cook in the animated Comedy Central satire since 1997, said in a statement Monday that he feels a line has been crossed.

"There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins," the 63-year-old soul singer and outspoken Scientologist said.

"Religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honored," he continued. "As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices."

"South Park" co-creator Matt Stone responded sharply in an interview with The Associated Press Monday, saying, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem — and he's cashed plenty of checks — with our show making fun of Christians."

Last November, "South Park" targeted the Church of Scientology and its celebrity followers, including actors Tom Cruise and John Travolta, in a top-rated episode called "Trapped in the Closet." In the episode, Stan, one of the show's four mischievous fourth graders, is hailed as a reluctant savior by Scientology leaders, while a cartoon Cruise locks himself in a closet and won't come out.

Stone told The AP he and co-creator Trey Parker "never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology. He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin."

Hayes really doesn't come out of this with any credibility. Great shame as I thought Chef was a great character, if not exactly a pivotal one. You really have to wonder about Scientology after Tom Cruise gets the episode pulled from the UK and Hayes opts out of a show he's been a part of for 9 years just because it turns its biting satire towards something he believes in. Just seems very sinister.

If you saw the newest episode from last night, then my previous statement is null and void. I heard it was made in about a week, which is pretty amazing. In it a Super Adventure Club (Scientology) had brainwashed Chef. Kyle says in the end to not blame Chef for what he said during the last week, but the club that has scrambled his brains. And in case you're wondering, Chef's voice for this episode was sound clips from other episodes. It might be airing again tonight, and hopefully it won't get pulled.

If you saw the newest episode from last night, then my previous statement is null and void. I heard it was made in about a week, which is pretty amazing. In it a Super Adventure Club (Scientology) had brainwashed Chef. Kyle says in the end to not blame Chef for what he said during the last week, but the club that has scrambled his brains. And in case you're wondering, Chef's voice for this episode was sound clips from other episodes. It might be airing again tonight, and hopefully it won't get pulled.

Actually, all of the shows are made that quick. They usually finish the episodes right before airtime. That's how they stay topical with what's going on in the news. Comedy Central doesn't even see the episodes until they air usually. The episode last night was pretty good, and the stuff they made Chef say was funny as hell. "Im gonna make sweet love to your asshole" and "i'm gonna put my salty balls in your rectum" were the funniest things I've heard from that show in awhile.

and the stuff they made Chef say was funny as hell. "Im gonna make sweet love to your asshole" and "i'm gonna put my salty balls in your rectum" were the funniest things I've heard from that show in awhile.

Though we haven't watched SP in years, I had to TiVo this one. And Jen gasped when Chef blurted out that line. I don't know what was funnier: the poorly assembled line or Jen's reaction.