Favorite Anime Creator(s)

J Marv

So, who are your favorite anime/manga creators?

For me, it's probably Shinichiro Watanabe. Probably the "popular" answer or whatever, but I don't care. The man is responsible for Macross Plus, Cowboy Bebop and the fantastic Samurai Champloo (which I'm just getting into), not to mention the other stuff he's had a hand in. It's just ludicrous how good he is.

Yasuhiro Nightow is probably second. Trigun is beyond awesome, and Gungrave is really good, but he hasn't done anything else, so it's hard to give him more credit.

Miyazaki would probably be third. I know, blasphemy. I just can't get in to most of his work for whatever reason. Mononoke Hime was brilliant, but I'm not a big fan of the rest of it. I don't know why.

Hayao Miyazaki. The man seems to be able to effortlessly blend deep storylines, well developed characters, and beautiful animation together over and over again.

Shinichiro Watanabe is probably my number 2 because of his uncanny ability to mix genres into one series. Cowboy Bebop is, of course, one of the most brilliant anime series of all time.

3rd would be a two-way tie between Kouta Hirano and Kiyohiko Azuma for Hellsing and Azumanga Daioh respectively.

While I haven't seen some people's complete works I therefore cannot judge them (Miyazaki, Watanabe for instance) so I'll throw up some faves of mine.

Rumiko Takahashi, Inuyasha (yeah, I like it. A lot.) and Ranma 1/2, both are different, both I really love.

Hajime Yatate. Gundam, lots of it, also some work on Cowboy Bebop, Witch Hunter Robin and Escaflowne.

Tetsuya Watanabe, Kimi Ga Nozomo Eien, it's enough

Yeah I said it wrong, when I said, not seen complete, I meant I've seen none of it

If you have never seen Miyazaki, do yourself a favor and watch his movies. He is just an amazing storyteller who is not only, in my opinion, the best anime creator, but would be on my list of best overall directors, anime or not.

Mononoke I actually don't mind in English. For all his other movies I've seen I'd agree with you, James. Especially for Howl's Moving Castle(Calcifer's voice alone made the dub horrible).

As for my favorite creators OTHER than Miyazaki:

Shirow Masamune - creator of Ghost in the Shell

Kazunori Ito, Koichi Mashimo, and Yoshiyuki Sadamoto - creators of .hack, among other things.

Tetsuya Watanabe - see Kscriv's post

Rumiko Takahashi - see Kscriv's post + Maison Ikkoku