Civil War *SPOILERS!*

S-T

Yeah, I read it and thought there was a major hole in his logic: unless you go on TV and reveal your identity to the world, no one will know who you are. Your secret, as well as your loved ones, would be safe. The government is not asking superpowered beings to Peter Parker themselves.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why, because of secondary mutations. One day he might wake up with the ability to communicate with grass

There are all kinds of marijuana references that are just waiting to be made using this statement as a starting point.

What do they do about people from other countries? Say, a person from France with super powers visits Chicago. Do they need to register with the government when they get there? Do they have the right to register other countries citizens? Could it start a war with another country if they detain someone that didn't register?

It's a nonissue, frankly; every current superpowered character (mutant, alien, human, mystic, etc.) has a power which can be used to fight, injure and / or kill. But I'll answer the question nonetheless: yes, even someone whose farts smell like freshly cut grass should have to register. Why, because of secondary mutations. One day he might wake up with the ability to communicate with grass, which he can then use in a Ra's al Ghul kind of way.

Ok I was curious on your position, and your hardcore man.

I wish they would write up a copy of the Act. Even if it was just the abstract or something. It's too vague, and they seem to just be pulling stuff out of thin air. First, it seems to be just registering. Then, it's a job. Then it's a draft. And we have no idea about any of it, other than so and so said this in book X.

It could have gone in that Civil War Files book.

And with regards to outside the US. In the Marvel universe, Canada passed a super-power registration act in 1993, and although it hasn't been mentioned in the comics in over 10 years, it has never been repealed explicitly either. Just some food for thought.

If you plan on acting as a superhero in the US, no matter your country of origin, I believe you have to register. So yeah, it could start a very nasty war.

Planning on acting as a superhero, or just having super powers? That's what is confusing me about this whole story.

Let me rephrase that: if you're a non-US resident and act as a vigilante inside US boarders, you must register. That's the law as I've been led to understand it.

All mutants are automatically registered thanks to 198 / O*N*E* / whatever.

If you have a power (gained through mutation, alien birth, lab accident, the mystics arts, etc.) and you live in the US, you have to register. That pertains to everybody: young, old, ex-vigilante, ex-villain, etc.

There's much more to that, of that I'm 100% sure. If you noticed, he only asked M and Rictor to sign. And as M pointed out, Rictor is powerless. Unless something has changed, powerless mutants are exempt from the SRA. Furthermore, Rahne and Layla, who were both there, were completely ignored. And he didn't stick around to get the rest of the group. Why...?

Here's the variant to Civil War #5.

CIVILWAR-05cov-CMYKcrop.jpg

Love how Turner doesn't get Castle's costume. There are four teeth on the skull, but only three tubes (what are those things, ammo pouches?) on the belt. LAME! Those are supposed to be extensions of the teeth, so there should be an equal amount. Besides that, it's not a bad cover. Wish it were darker and had a little more emotion, but whatever.

Ok.

A) WTF happened to Parker? He looks in a bad way. Stark must have gone medieval on him.

B) I thought general consensus was Castle was going to be Anti-SRA, so why is he fighting Spidey, who is going Anti-SRA?

Somebody needs to print a timeline of all the Civil War tie-in events so I know what happens when.

A) WTF happened to Parker? He looks in a bad way. Stark must have gone medieval on him.

Read Amazing Spider-Man #535.

B) I thought general consensus was Castle was going to be Anti-SRA, so why is he fighting Spidey, who is going Anti-SRA?

My guess is that Castle has saved Peter from his doom. Look at Frank's guns: they're pointed up, away from Spidey. That tells me he doesn't see Parker as a threat.

Somebody needs to print a timeline of all the Civil War tie-in events so I know what happens when.

Despite a few edits / corrections, I cannot take credit for this -- it was found at CBR. Though some books are absent (i.e. Ms. Marvel, Thunderbolts), it is the best timeline I've seen thus far.

STAMFORD

- Civil War #1 (Stamford disaster, get together at the Baxter building, Cap goes rogue, Iron Man forms his team)

- Wolverine #42 (Stamford, get together at the Baxter building, Wolverine picks up Nitro’s scent)

- She-Hulk #8

- Civil War: Front Line #1 (Stamford aftermath, Iron Man unmasks himself)

- Amazing Spider-Man #532 (Stamford, Tony Stark asks Peter to unmask himself, Peter debates)

- New Avengers #21 (Cap on the run, Falcon joins)

REGISTRATION ACT BECOMES LAW

- Civil War #2 (registration act becomes law, Young Avengers join Cap, Spider-Man unmasks himself)

- Amazing Spider-Man #533 (aftermath of Spider-Man’s unmasking)

- Civil War: Front Line #2 (aftermath of Spider-Man’s unmasking, registration act becomes law)

- New Avengers #22 (registration act becomes law, Luke Cage joins Cap)

- Wolverine #43 (registration act becomes law)

CIVIL WAR BEGINS

- Wolverine #44 (immediately after #43, Atlantean sleeper agents)

- Civil War: Front Line #3 (Atlantean sleeper agent)

- Civil War: Young Avengers & Runaways #1 (Young Avengers disobey Cap and go after the Runaways, Stature is still with Cap)

- Civil War: Young Avengers & Runaways #2 (immediately after Part 1, S.H.I.E.L.D. sends a former super-villain after the Runaways)

- Civil War: Young Avengers & Runaways #3 (immediately after Part 2)

- Civil War: Young Avengers & Runaways #4 (immediately after Part 3)

- Civil War: Front Line #4 (Green Goblin confronts Ben Urich)

- Black Panther #18 (Cease-fire)

- Fantastic Four #538 (Sue and Reed debate, the Thing is torn, "D.B." picks up Thor's hammer)

- Wolverine #45 (Namor)

- Cable & Deadpool #30

- Civil War: Front Line #5 (Ben Urich fired, Sally Floyd contacted by an informant and arrested, Speedball sent to the negative zone, Wonder Man recruited by S.H.I.E.L.D.)

THE WAR HEATS UP

- Civil War #3 (Black Panther, Dr. Strange and the X-Men turn down Iron Man, Geffen Industries battle, Thor)

- Civil War #4 (Geffen Industries Battle, Thing still in the country, Stature and Cable leave Cap, Sue and Johnny join Cap)

- Civil War: Front Line #6 (Geffen Industries battle, Speedball is shot)

- Civil War: Front Line #7 (immediately after #6, Norman Osborn has a mysterious benefactor, attacks Wonder Man and the Atlanteans)

- Cable & Deadpool #31 (bookends the Geffen Industries battle)

- Cable & Deadpool #32 (takes place right after #31)

- Amazing Spider-Man #534 (the prisoner convoy)

- Fantastic Four #539 (the prisoner convoy, the Thing decides to leave the country)

- New Avengers #23 (Spider-Woman joins Cap)

- Wolverine #46 (a week or so after #45)

- Captain America #22 (Cap’s attacks in flashback)

- Fantastic Four #540 (Sue leaves Reed, Thing leaves the FF, Peter / Reed conversation) *

- Amazing Spider-Man #535 (The Thing and Sue have left, Speedball has been shipped to the Negative Zone, Peter / Reed conversation, Peter decides to switch sides)

* Certain scenes take place after the Geffen Industries battle (Civil War #3-4), but before Sue's letter to Reed (Civil War #4).

Read Amazing Spider-Man #535.

I have, hence the "Stark must have gone medieval on him." Man, why are they turning Stark into this bad guy? He's even less likeable than paranoid Cap. And I hate paranoid Cap.

I wish they would have made him a guy reluctantly doing his job, since he's personally against the SRA. He seems to be taking some pleasure in it now.

My guess is that Castle has saved Peter from his doom. Look at Frank's guns: they're pointed up, away from Spidey. That tells me he doesn't see Parker as a threat.

Parker's begging him off though. It might be that Stark just knocked him down there in front of Castle, and Castle just pulled his guns as a reflex, but the impression I get is a confrontation.

Thanks a lot for the timeline, it's very helpful, and clears up a couple of things for me.

Assuming Castle isn't after Peter, two things could be happening there:

01. Peter's been knocked silly by Stark or one of his guys, and is reaching out for help.

02. Peter is begging off because he's not sure whose side Castle is on.

Though I might be for the law, at this point I really, really, really need them to justify Tony's actions: cloning gods (amongst others), forming the New Thunderbolts, attacking Peter. Yikes!

• 4 weeks later...