Civil War *SPOILERS!*

S-T

Bear with me here on a crackpot theory:

Is Iron Man destined to become Kang the Conqueror?

Ironlad, employing villains, "futurist." Marvel said from the beginning that this will be a struggle between Cap and Iron Man's respective sides and that there is no big bad. Could the big bad be Iron Man and he not even know it or is it retarded to have even thought about it?

These are the things I come up with at night.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, Immortus is the same guy.

The theory is fun and could make sense but I doubt that would ever be it. I mean, when has marvel ever allowed established villains, just for the sake of argument let's say like Belasco or Sinister, be revealed as a distorted character evolutions of mainstream heroes?

• 3 weeks later...

They seem to be filling in the story with extra issues like CW War Crimes, and CW Choosing Sides.

War Crimes #1 was really good, has a darker tone, and shows why the Kingpin is such a badass. A major villain gets killed also. When I say killed, I mean shot point blank, in the head, execution style.

Choosing Sides has 5 different stories, including US Agent, Iron Fist, Irredeemable Ant-Man, Venom, and Howard the Duck.

War Crimes #1 was really good, has a darker tone, and shows why the Kingpin is such a badass. A major villain gets killed also. When I say killed, I mean shot point blank, in the head, execution style.

Who died?

Here's the list of casualities so far:

Here's a list of the casualities in the current series:

Stamford incident casualties

Approximately 600 residents of Stamford, Connecticut, including about 60 children

Cobalt Man

Coldheart

John Fernandez (New Warriors' camera operator)

Microbe

Namorita

Night Thrasher

Speedfreek

The three villains involved in the explosion (all but Nitro who caused the explosion) have not been confirmed dead or alive.*

Subsequent casualties

Abrams (A Superhuman Restraint Unit commander), killed during an attack on Nitro.

Bantam (Robert Velasquez), accidentally killed by Thunderclap.

Cee (A Yancy Street Gang member)

Walter Declun (former CEO of Damage Control); impaled through the head by Wolverine.

Digitek (Dr. Jonathan Bryant); committed suicide in his cell at the Negative Zone Prison.

Goliath (William Barrett Foster), killed by the Thor clone.

Hammerhead; shot in the head by Underworld.

Happy Hogan; put in a coma by Spymaster; killed in an act of euthanasia by Tony Stark.

Jack O'Lantern (Steven Mark Levins); shot in the head by the Punisher.

The Jester (Jonathan Powers); shot in the head by the Punisher.

Kenny; former employee of Tony Stark, shot by Maria Hill.

General Demetrius Lazer (former director of O*N*E); neck snapped by the mutant Johnny Dee.

Fulvio Morsella; a pedophile shot by the Punisher.

Politus, an Atlantean interrogator who was killed by Nitro while attempting to interrogate him.

Slyde (Jalome Beacher); shot in head by Underworld.

Stilt-Man (not Wilbur Day; name unrevealed); killed by the Punisher.

About three dozen prison guards; killed during the Sing Sing prison break-in.

Assorted HYDRA agents; killed during the Helicarrier assault, HYDRA island explosion, and A.I.M. base suicide bombing.

Assorted S.H.I.E.L.D. pilots, aircraft technicians, and agents aboard the current Helicarrier One killed by HYDRA assault.

At least seventeen S.H.I.E.L.D. Superhuman Restraint Unit members.

At least twenty Atlantean sleeper agents, killed by the Green Goblin's pumpkin bombs.

At least six unnamed civilians.

At least one police officer.

At least one American nuclear submarine, sunk by Atlantis as retribution for the assassination attempt of their ambassador; crew size unknown.

Source: Wikipedia

• 2 weeks later...

CW #6....

Really disappointing, it's starting to feel like they are taking the "dream" defense. I wouldn't be surprised if at the end of all this it's all a big Peter Parker dream and everything is back to normal.

The Punisher outcome... one big cop-out.

The Hulkling intervention... one big cop-out.

The delayed issues... what was the deal with that?

This whole event is starting to feel like that. It had such a good start and it's failing me big time. Maybe they needed more substance in the main title. Instead of spreading the story across books.

The Punisher outcome... one big cop-out.

Why do you think so? I thought it was well done. Just curious.

The Hulkling intervention... one big cop-out.

That I agree with. It would have meant so much more had there actually been a traitor.

Well, it stems more from my final vent. Maybe if the same outcome happened with more substance I would have been happy. It just seemed too quick. I would have liked to have seen Punisher in the final fight and then something happen. Give his interaction with the event a little more meaning. It feels like they just pulled the Punisher card and then threw it away. I feel that the way it was done... it could have been good, but instead it took away from the story.

Token Castle is what it was, can understand why he did what he did but if there aren't going to be continued storylines between Castle and Cap then whats the point in altering peoples perceptions of Castle. Maybe they will take his war journal book in a different route now due to it, or maybe not lol

Frontline was a good read I think as well especially the Speedball part, made me very interested for his future, he is joining the Thunderballs isnt he? Hope thats their name, cant remember totally lol

Ha...ridiculous.

Anyway I just gave 6 another read through...The Young Hulkling doesn't bother that much...but the Punisher sequence just seemed so...out of place and stupid. All it does is show that Frank will kill evil no matter what...we already know that...why put it there? I somehow doubt Cap would even WANT Villians on his team.

None of that sequence seemed right.

The delay is because they're adding extra pages, which is a common occurrence with Mark Millar-penned projects: Ultimate Six went from six to seven issues, Ultimate 2 went from 12 to 13. Hell, had Marvel not plastered "a Marvel Comics event in seven parts" all over the covers, my guess is this would have become an eight-issue mini by the fifth issue.

As for Cap and The Punisher: Cap didn't want those two guys on his team. As soon as they entered the HQ he shouted, "What the hell is going on here, Diamondback?" He only kicked Castle's teeth in because, well, Castle killed them without batting an eye. Cap's view on killing is simple: don't... unless it's absolutely called for.

You also have to remember that Cap didn't even want The Punisher hanging around in the first place; he simply brought him aboard to keep an eye on him. Some might even suggest Cap was looking for excuse to get rid of Castle (sending him into the Baxter Building was a suicide mission), and killing those villains was all Cap needed to put Castle in his place.

All that said, I do believe that scene will play a much bigger part by the time the series ends. Castle doesn't fight back because he respects Rogers. He even says, "Not against you," when Cap demands Punisher fight back. Look at Cap's face afterwards: something has dawned on him. What that is, I can't say for sure, but I have a guess or two.

I also have to say it may have been easier for me since I was a tad bit more familiar with the DC characters so I was a bit more involved. But I figure the idea behind events was to draw people in who aren't usual readers.

Yoda who is a marvel fan seems to identified far more with that sequence that me as a DC-centric fan thought was just...odd.

I also have to say it may have been easier for me since I was a tad bit more familiar with the DC characters so I was a bit more involved. But I figure the idea behind events was to draw people in who aren't usual readers.

Yoda who is a marvel fan seems to identified far more with that sequence that me as a DC-centric fan thought was just...odd.

I don't know about that. I like to think I'm a fan of both DC and Marvel, as well as the others, and I still felt disappointed. Also, I understand they want to draw in more people, but they should never do that at the expense of their fan-base.

See to me it's more the opposite of what you were saying. That "sequence" screams casual non-reader. What that person sees are all the marvel characters interacting with each other. A bunch of icons (heroes and villains) in one book. What the fanboy sees is inconsistencies with the characterizations.