Marvel Reccommendations

elnino14

I basically haven't read comics in ages.

Hey guys, I just read Astonishing X-men 12 book series by Joss Whedon. It was fantastic. I was wondering if anybody has got any other reccommendations (old or new) for me to take a look at. Any specific Ultimate X-men arcs that I should check out (I've read teh first couple, through the Weapon X)?

I already own:

X-men Children of the Atom

Astonishing X-men by Joss Whedon

X-men: God Loves, Man Kills (I think that was the title)

I heard that the New X-men series was pretty awesome. I tried to read a bit of X-treme X-men but couldn't get into it. Don't know anything about any of the new Uncanny books.

I also love Ultimate Spiderman but haven't kept up, since Venom first got involved in the book. Did it get any better, are there any specific TPBs that I should take a look at? Also any mainline Spiderman books that I should check out?

I own that one DareDevil TPB wriiten by Kevin Smith which was fucking amazing I might add. But I'm not a fan of the character as a whole.

Also one question what is this House of M stuff that I hear? Is it worth checking out? Also I am QUITE intrigued by the Civil War storyline, but it's just been released in the regular comics, is there any TPB's that precede that, and are they worth or necessary to get.

I'm basically looking for Marvel reccommendations (But I am really partial to the X-men franchise and Spider-man franchises, but willing to check out anything) ...I've heard stuff about the Ultimates but when I tried to read it, I had a hard time getting into it. I may give it another try at the Barnes & Noble.

I know I'm being broad but any help would be good.

I just read Astonishing X-men 12 book series by Joss Whedon. It was fantastic.

After a brief hiatus, Joss Whedon and John Cassaday have returned to Astonishing X-Men. So far issues #13 and 14 have been released, and #15 will go on sale 21 June.

Any specific Ultimate X-men arcs that I should check out (I've read teh first couple, through the Weapon X)?

I already own:

X-men Children of the Atom

Astonishing X-men by Joss Whedon

X-men: God Loves, Man Kills (I think that was the title)

I heard that the New X-men series was pretty awesome. I tried to read a bit of X-treme X-men but couldn't get into it. Don't know anything about any of the new Uncanny books.

I'm not hugely into the X-Men, but Grant Morrison's run was really good. He wrote X-Men (then called New X-Men) from #114 to #154. The storylines breakdown as follows:

- E Is For Extinction: 114–117, New X-Men 2001 Annual

- Imperial: 118–126

- New Worlds: 127–133

- Riot at Xavier's: 134–138

- Murder at The Mansion: 139–141

- Assault on Weapon Plus: 142–145

- Planet X: 146–150

- Here Comes Tomorrow: 151–154

If you're into Wolverine grab:

- Weapon X by Barry Windsor-Smith. This is the story of how Logan received his metal bones.

- Origin by Paul Jenkins and Andy Kubert. Finally, Logan's true origin is told. It leaves some plot threads loose, but that was done intentionally for a sequel.

I also love Ultimate Spiderman but haven't kept up, since Venom first got involved in the book. Did it get any better, are there any specific TPBs that I should take a look at?

Ultimate Spider-Man is always good, but it does have its ups and downs. But I recommend:

- Vol. 11: Carnage: collects 60-65

- Vol. 13: Hobgoblin: collects 72-78

Also any mainline Spiderman books that I should check out?

Mark Millar's 12-issue run on Marvel Knights Spider-Man is pretty good.

- Down Among the Dead Men: 1-4

- Venomous: 5-8

- The Last Stand: 9-12

And though a lot of his Spider-Man work is very controversial, look for any Spider-Man story written by J. Michael Straczynski. Specifically:

- Vol. 1: Coming Home: collects Amazing Spider-Man 30-35

- Vol. 2: Revelations: collects Amazing Spider-Man 36-39

- Vol. 8: Sins Past: collects Amazing Spider-Man 509-514

(It should be noted that Marvel rebooted Amazing Spider-Man a few years ago with a new numbering system, hence the low numbers on volumes one and two. They then, however, went back to the old numbering system... hence the higher numbers on volume eight.)

I own that one DareDevil TPB wriiten by Kevin Smith which was fucking amazing I might add. But I'm not a fan of the character as a whole.

Frank Miller worked on the following Daredevil books:

- The Man Without Fear: collects Daredevil: The Man Without Fear #1-5

- Daredevil Visionaries: Frank Miller, vol. 1: collects Daredevil 158-161, 163-167

- Daredevil Visionaries: Frank Miller, vol. 2: collects Daredevil 168-182

- Daredevil Visionaries: Frank Miller, vol. 3: collects Daredevil 183-191

The Brian Michael Bendis / Alex Maleev run, which is a must-read, is as follows:

(Before that, however... much like Amazing Spider-Man, Daredevil was rebooted about seven years ago. Kevin Smith's book, Guardian Devil, was the first in that line. So the following TPBs collect the new / current run and not the old Silver Age / Stan Lee books, as the numbering could mislead you to believe.)

- Daredevil, vol. 4: Underboss: collects Daredevil 26-31

- Daredevil, vol. 5: Out: collects Daredevil 32-37

- Daredevil, vol. 6: Low Life: collects Daredevil 41-45

- Daredevil, vol. 7: Hardcore: collects Daredevil 46-50

- Daredevil, vol. 9: The King of Hell's Kitchen: collects Daredevil 56-60

- Daredevil, vol. 10: The Widow: collects Daredevil 61-65

- Daredevil, vol. 11: Golden Age: collects Daredevil 66-70

- Daredevil, vol. 12: Decalogue: collects Daredevil 71-75

- Daredevil, vol. 13: The Murdock Papers: collects Daredevil 76-81

After Bendis and Maleev left the title, Ed Brubaker and Michael Lark took over (with issue #82), and it's just as good (if not better) than the Bendis / Maleev run! Issue #85 went on sale this week, 24 May.

On a related note, Bullseye: Greatest Hits is a pretty funny "origin" story for Daredevil's greatest nemesis.

Also one question what is this House of M stuff that I hear? Is it worth checking out? Also I am QUITE intrigued by the Civil War storyline, but it's just been released in the regular comics, is there any TPB's that precede that, and are they worth or necessary to get.

I'm going to quote something I wrote elsewhere about House of M and Civil War. This contains MAJOR SPOILERS, so read at your own risk! If you're not going to read the quoted text (below), then know this: there isn't one story or TPB which leads into Civil War; it has been building for years. The most important TPBs are:

- Avengers: Disassembled

- The New Avengers: Breakout

- Secret War (Not to be confused with Secret Wars from 1984! Secret War was released between 2003 and 2004, and collected in one volume earlier this year.)

- Wolverine: Enemy of the State, vols. 1 & 2

- House of M

- New Avengers: Illuminati (not a TPB; just a single issue)

Okay, on with the SPOILERS!

Three years ago Marvel published Avengers: Disassembled. Basically, the Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff) lost her marbles and began to warp reality. In doing so, she killed Vision, Hawkeye, Ant-Man and several other teammates. Rocked to the core, the Avengers handed her over to her father, Magneto, and disbanded. Iron Man, who until then had funded the outfit, felt responsible for "not taking care of one of their own," and refused to finance another superteam.

Six months later Captain America, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Luke Cage, Daredevil and the Sentry all just so happened to be on the Raft -- "a maximum-maximum security prison for super-powered criminals" -- when a riot started. Even though they came together and were able to subdue most of the super-criminals, 42 escaped.

Captain America saw this as fate -- nothing else could explain why those heroes were brought together under those circumstances -- and sought to build a new team of Avengers to hunt down those 42 villains. Tony Stark was skeptical, but eventually agreed to house the New Avengers (all of the aforementioned names including Wolverine and Ronin, excluding Daredevil) in his newest skyscraper: Stark Tower.

While this was going on, Magneto and Charles Xavier went into seclusion (on the island of Genosha) together, and attempted to sooth Wanda's ailing mind. No matter how hard they tried, nothing could reach her.

Xavier rejoined his X-Men and called a meeting with the Avengers to decide the fate of Wanda. Fifty percent of the group thought it best to kill her before her mutant powers caused too much trouble, and forced the world governments to finally eradicate mutants. The other half wanted to see her one last time before making a decision.

Quicksilver somehow got wind of this meeting and attempted to save his sister before the Avengers and X-Men could kill her. And so he used Wanda's fragile mental state to his advantage, and forced her to create a mutant utopia -- one where a benevolent Magneto ruled America and mutantkind was the dominant species... one that humans no longer feared, but loved!

Most everybody thought this world to be the real world, never realizing it was an elaborate illusion. That is, everybody save Wolverine and a little girl named Layla Miller. Together they hunted down other heroes (Cyclops, Emma Frost, Spider-Man, Mystique, Luke Cage, Cloak, etc.) and made them remember the way the world was supposed to be.

This team then sought to complete their original mission: the execution of the Scarlet Witch. Before they could, however, a resurrected Hawkeye shot an arrow into Wanda's back. (He was a little pissed about having been killed by her.) As she lay dying, she whispered three little words: "No more mutants."

So as the "House of M" world faded away and the real world replaced it once more, it was revealed that all but 198 mutants had lost their powers. Forever.

The truth of how millions of mutants suddenly lost their powers literally overnight was kept from the world governments, but politicians knew something happened and smelt a conspiracy.

(Incidentally, this somehow triggered Wolverine's memory to return. His real memories! He now remembers everything, and is on a mission to hunt down and kill all those responsible for making him into a weapon.)

Afterwards Tony Stark began to see signs that the US government was on the verge of passing a superhero registration act (as they have a mutant registration act): basically, reveal yourself and operate under the laws, or go to jail. And he's all for it! As are some other heroes. All the government is waiting for is one hero (or villain) to go too far...

And that leads into Civil War #1... where something went terribly, terribly wrong!

In Civil War #1 (of 7) the New Warriors were attempting to apprehend Nitro, and in the course of the fight he used his powers... near a schoolyard. The school children, the townsfolk, the heroes... everyone except Speedball died. This is the moment the government had been waiting for, and Speedball is their scapegoat.

Some readers and journalists have speculated that the registration act will pass, which will cause half of the New Avengers (and hundreds of other heroes) to split... for Canada, where some will form a brand new Alpha Flight and others will continue under the Avengers banner. We'll see.

Referenced storylines:

- The New Avengers #1-6

- House of M

- Civil War

Not mentioned, but crucial to Marvel's current storylines... specifically Civil War:

- Wolverine: Enemy of the State, vols. 1& 2

- Secret War (2004)

- New Avengers: Illuminati

I'm basically looking for Marvel reccommendations (But I am really partial to the X-men franchise and Spider-man franchises, but willing to check out anything) ...I've heard stuff about the Ultimates but when I tried to read it, I had a hard time getting into it. I may give it another try at the Barnes & Noble.

The Ultimates are not for everyone. They're basically a hardcore version of The Avengers, but it is a well-written and beautifully illustrated book. Give it another try.

Other recommendations:

- Ultimate Fantastic Four, vol. 1: The Fantastic

- Ultimate Fantastic Four, vol. 5: Crossover

- Marvel Zombies

- Alias, vol. 1

- Captain America: Winter Soldier, vols. 1 & 2

- Any of the current Marvel / MAX Punisher TPBs. In fact, here's me quoting myself again:

Marvel now publishes The Punisher under their mature imprint, MAX, which allows Garth Ennis to write whatever he wants in terms of adult themes: violence, language and sex. Sure, those elements don't always equate into better storytelling, but, with his shackles removed, Ennis is writing the best Punisher stories ever.

An interesting change that Ennis insisted upon is the aging of Castle. Starting with the first issue of the new series, Frank looks his age: mid- to late 50s.

So far 33 issues have been released:

In The Beginning (1-6): The CIA seeks to enlist Castle, and they've hired his former associate, Microchip, to help convince Frank to join them. Castle's answer: "Fuck you."

- Sets the tone for the entire series. The last page is nasty!

Kitchen Irish (7-12): After an IRA-like bomb destroys a local diner, Frank finds himself between two warring mobs.

Mother Russia (13-18): Nick Fury sends Frank into Russia to rescue a little girl who holds the key to a retrovirus. To distract the Russian army, Castle launches a nuclear missile.

Up Is Down and Black is White (19-24): One mobster has had enough of Castle's shit, and decides to call the big man out... by digging up his wife and kids and pissing on their corpses... on TV.

The Slavers (25-30): Frank uncovers a human trafficking ring.

- There's a scene in either issue 28 or 29 (I can't recall which) that is the most brutal moment ever. It's not ultra-gory or anything like that; it's just one of the few times we've ever seen Castle get truly violent with a woman.

Barracuda (31-36): While looking into a drug deal / murder, Frank uncovers a huge white-collar conspiracy, and is pitted against his toughest foe yet: The Barracuda!

There have also been several one-shots and minis:

Born: Frank's third and final tour in 'Nam is finally chronicled. The ending sets up how and why he became The Punisher, and, despite his age, can still operate today.

The Cell: This retcons his origin just a bit, but, basically, Castle gets himself sent to jail to murder the men responsible for the deaths of his family.

The End: Nuclear war has ravaged the world, but that won't stop The Punisher from delivering his brand of justice.

Hope this helped. If you need more recommendations or info, just ask.

Ok Strange that none of the quote stuff is working.

After a brief hiatus, Joss Whedon and John Cassaday have returned to Astonishing X-Men. So far issues #13 and 14 have been released, and #15 will go on sale 21 June.

Have you read his the new ones? If you have have, without giving spoilers, are they any good? How do they compare to the first run?

I'm not hugely into the X-Men, but Grant Morrison's run was really good. He wrote X-Men (then called New X-Men) from #114 to #154. The storylines breakdown as follows:

- E Is For Extinction: 114–117, New X-Men 2001 Annual

- Imperial: 118–126

- New Worlds: 127–133

- Riot at Xavier's: 134–138

- Murder at The Mansion: 139–141

- Assault on Weapon Plus: 142–145

- Planet X: 146–150

- Here Comes Tomorrow: 151–154

If you're into Wolverine grab:

- Weapon X by Barry Windsor-Smith. This is the story of how Logan received his metal bones.

- Origin by Paul Jenkins and Andy Kubert. Finally, Logan's true origin is told. It leaves some plot threads loose, but that was done intentionally for a sequel.

Yeah, I was thinking about getting into Morrison's run of the New X-men. I head lots of good stuff about it. I know you're not hugely into X-men, but if somebody else can tell me something (good, bad, worth a look, don't waste your time, etc) about the Ultimate run or the new Uncanny books (without spoilers), I'd be pleased.

If the Weapon X book is the original one, than I've read it. I was so hyped up at the time because I heard so much great stuff about it, that I found it kind of a letdown. The Origin story I have also read (online actually, a few years ago, Marvel had a bunch of full comics online so I just sat down and read them). I tend to dislike a TPB if I read it in one sitting (the whole TPB at once), but if I read it in couple sittings (a couple issues a sitting anywhere from 1-3) and take my time to recognize how awesome of a job they're doing, I tend to enjoy it a lot more. Also it's harder, for me at least, to enjoy comics when reading online.

Ultimate Spider-Man is always good, but it does have its ups and downs. But I recommend:

- Vol. 11: Carnage: collects 60-65

- Vol. 13: Hobgoblin: collects 72-78

I LOVE Ultimate Spiderman, and I know it's always good. Just couldn't keep up with it. Does Bendis still write it? Thanks for those suggestions...I'll check those out.

Just wanted to mention I have a few oldschool Spider-Man TPB's including Death of Kraven(one of my favorite books ever), The Death of Gwen Stacy, and the Sins of the Father. I don't know why I wanted to mention that just wanted to do it.

Mark Millar's 12-issue run on Marvel Knights Spider-Man is pretty good.

- Down Among the Dead Men: 1-4

- Venomous: 5-8

- The Last Stand: 9-12

I had no idea about this. Was the Marvel Knights Spider-man line continued after Millar left or did they discontinue it?

And though a lot of his Spider-Man work is very controversial, look for any Spider-Man story written by J. Michael Straczynski. Specifically:

- Vol. 1: Coming Home: collects Amazing Spider-Man 30-35

- Vol. 2: Revelations: collects Amazing Spider-Man 36-39

- Vol. 8: Sins Past: collects Amazing Spider-Man 509-514

(It should be noted that Marvel rebooted Amazing Spider-Man a few years ago with a new numbering system, hence the low numbers on volumes one and two. They then, however, went back to the old numbering system... hence the higher numbers on volume eight.)

I knew about them going to a new numbering system, had no idea they went back to the old one though. I actually read a couple Staczynski books at Barnes once, had a villian name Ezekiel. I'm pretty sure it was Vols 1 + 2 that I read. It was a while ago but still I read them, and thought they were very good. How was his run controversial though.

Frank Miller worked on the following Daredevil books:

- The Man Without Fear: collects Daredevil: The Man Without Fear #1-5

- Daredevil Visionaries: Frank Miller, vol. 1: collects Daredevil 158-161, 163-167

- Daredevil Visionaries: Frank Miller, vol. 2: collects Daredevil 168-182

- Daredevil Visionaries: Frank Miller, vol. 3: collects Daredevil 183-191

Oh I know Frank Miller is famous for his Daredevil run. Again I'm not a fan of the character, so I don't know if I would check these out.

The Brian Michael Bendis / Alex Maleev run, which is a must-read, is as follows:

(Before that, however... much like Amazing Spider-Man, Daredevil was rebooted about seven years ago. Kevin Smith's book, Guardian Devil, was the first in that line. So the following TPBs collect the new / current run and not the old Silver Age / Stan Lee books, as the numbering could mislead you to believe.)

- Daredevil, vol. 4: Underboss: collects Daredevil 26-31

- Daredevil, vol. 5: Out: collects Daredevil 32-37

- Daredevil, vol. 6: Low Life: collects Daredevil 41-45

- Daredevil, vol. 7: Hardcore: collects Daredevil 46-50

- Daredevil, vol. 9: The King of Hell's Kitchen: collects Daredevil 56-60

- Daredevil, vol. 10: The Widow: collects Daredevil 61-65

- Daredevil, vol. 11: Golden Age: collects Daredevil 66-70

- Daredevil, vol. 12: Decalogue: collects Daredevil 71-75

- Daredevil, vol. 13: The Murdock Papers: collects Daredevil 76-81

After Bendis and Maleev left the title, Ed Brubaker and Michael Lark took over (with issue #82), and it's just as good (if not better) than the Bendis / Maleev run! Issue #85 went on sale this week, 24 May.

I had no idea Bendis went to work on Daredevil. He was awesome on Ultimate Spiderman. So I may have to check this out, even though I'm not a fan of the character. I'd like to hear more about this.

If you're not going to read the quoted text (below), then know this: there isn't one story or TPB which leads into Civil War; it has been building for years. The most important TPBs are:

- Secret War (Not to be confused with Secret Wars from 1984! Secret War was released between 2003 and 2004, and collected in one volume earlier this year.)

- House of M

I didn't read the long Spoilerific quote. But IF I were to get these, should I be getting them in any specific order or anything. Is it worth getting? Are they of varying degrees of goodness? Just some more info on these is all. The House of M, doesn't that span across like 5 books.

The Ultimates are not for everyone. They're basically a hardcore version of The Avengers, but it is a well-written and beautifully illustrated book. Give it another try.

One of my friends loves the Ultimates, which is why I considered giving it another shot. For me I'm just not a huge fan of the Cap (Captain USA) but I can stand him (especially when he's yelling "FINAL JUSTICE!!!" in MVC 2).

Other recommendations:

- Ultimate Fantastic Four, vol. 1: The Fantastic

- Ultimate Fantastic Four, vol. 5: Crossover

- Marvel Zombies

- Alias, vol. 1

- Captain America: Winter Soldier, vols. 1 & 2

Again not a fan of the Cap so I doubt I'd ever get books just about him. Fantastic Four never seemed like the strongest written characters, so I don't know about them. They always seemed to get the short end of a stick as far as character development and writing go. Know nothing about Alias or Marvel Zombies (but with the pictures in my head, Marvel Zombies sounds HELL-Arious). I'm also probably more willing to give the Ultimates and Daredevil a chance over these books.

- Any of the current Marvel / MAX Punisher TPBs. In fact, here's me quoting myself again:

Marvel now publishes The Punisher under their mature imprint, MAX, which allows Garth Ennis to write whatever he wants in terms of adult themes: violence, language and sex. Sure, those elements don't always equate into better storytelling, but, with his shackles removed, Ennis is writing the best Punisher stories ever.

An interesting change that Ennis insisted upon is the aging of Castle. Starting with the first issue of the new series, Frank looks his age: mid- to late 50s.

So far 33 issues have been released:

In The Beginning (1-6): The CIA seeks to enlist Castle, and they've hired his former associate, Microchip, to help convince Frank to join them. Castle's answer: "Fuck you."

- Sets the tone for the entire series. The last page is nasty!

Kitchen Irish (7-12): After an IRA-like bomb destroys a local diner, Frank finds himself between two warring mobs.

Mother Russia (13-18): Nick Fury sends Frank into Russia to rescue a little girl who holds the key to a retrovirus. To distract the Russian army, Castle launches a nuclear missile.

Up Is Down and Black is White (19-24): One mobster has had enough of Castle's shit, and decides to call the big man out... by digging up his wife and kids and pissing on their corpses... on TV.

The Slavers (25-30): Frank uncovers a human trafficking ring.

- There's a scene in either issue 28 or 29 (I can't recall which) that is the most brutal moment ever. It's not ultra-gory or anything like that; it's just one of the few times we've ever seen Castle get truly violent with a woman.

Barracuda (31-36): While looking into a drug deal / murder, Frank uncovers a huge white-collar conspiracy, and is pitted against his toughest foe yet: The Barracuda!

There have also been several one-shots and minis:

Born: Frank's third and final tour in 'Nam is finally chronicled. The ending sets up how and why he became The Punisher, and, despite his age, can still operate today.

The Cell: This retcons his origin just a bit, but, basically, Castle gets himself sent to jail to murder the men responsible for the deaths of his family.

The End: Nuclear war has ravaged the world, but that won't stop The Punisher from delivering his brand of justice.

Punisher never really intrigued me. So I don't know if I'd ever run into there. I get enough my badass man on a mission through James Bond and Jack Bauer.

Hope this helped. If you need more recommendations or info, just ask.

Helped A TON! Again as you can tell, I'm very partial to Spider-man and X-men/X-Verse books but am open to Daredevil (especially with Bendis writing!), Avengers/Ultimates, and Hulk. I'm pretty close minded to much anything else. Though if Fantastic 4 got something good rolling, you never know.

They started releasing an Age of Apocalypse collection. How about some info on that? I think I tried to read part of it a while ago, but it was just way too confusing. But I can't remember it was so long ago.

Have you read his the new ones? If you have have, without giving spoilers, are they any good? How do they compare to the first run?

It's too early to say, what with only two issues having been released thus far. There have been some great moments however, especially between Peter and Kitty.

I LOVE Ultimate Spiderman, and I know it's always good. Just couldn't keep up with it. Does Bendis still write it?

Yup. He's heading towards issue #100 -- the Ultimate Clone Saga!

I knew about them going to a new numbering system, had no idea they went back to the old one though. I actually read a couple Staczynski books at Barnes once, had a villian name Ezekiel. I'm pretty sure it was Vols 1 + 2 that I read. It was a while ago but still I read them, and thought they were very good. How was his run controversial though.

For one, the whole Ezekiel and the Spider-god thing. Two... well, I can't tell you without spoiling it.

I had no idea Bendis went to work on Daredevil. He was awesome on Ultimate Spiderman. So I may have to check this out, even though I'm not a fan of the character. I'd like to hear more about this.

Grab those DD trades, man! They rock, especially Underboss and Out.

I didn't read the long Spoilerific quote. But IF I were to get these, should I be getting them in any specific order or anything.

Yes. If you want to see this huge but subtle lead-up to Civil War, read them in the order I listed 'em.

Is it worth getting? Are they of varying degrees of goodness?

Avengers: Disassembled

- Score: 8 / 10

The New Avengers: Breakout

- Score: 7 / 10

Secret War

- Score: 7 / 10

Wolverine: Enemy of the State, vols. 1 & 2

-Score: 9 / 10

House of M

- 9 / 10

New Avengers: Illuminati

- 10 / 10

Just some more info on these is all.

Here are non-spoiler recaps:

Avengers: Disassembled

- The Avengers are under attack, and, when the dust has cleared, they're shocked to learn who was behind it all. The revelation is so riveting, the team has no choice but to disband!

The New Avengers: Breakout

- After a six month hiatus, Captain America decides to reform the Avengers, with the new team consisting of himself, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Luke Cage, and the Sentry. (Wolverine and Ronin would join later.)

Secret War

- Nick Fury drafts Captain America, Spider-Man, Luke Cage, Wolverine, Daredevil and Black Widow to stage a coup d'état in Latveria.

Wolverine: Enemy of the State, vols. 1 & 2

- Hydra kidnaps and brainwashes Wolverine. His mission: to assassinate other superheroes.

House of M

- Ties directly into Avengers: Disassembled. Without giving too much away, reality has shifted and mutants are now the dominant species... and humans love them!

New Avengers: Illuminati

- Iron Man, Mr. Fantastic, Black Bolt, Professor X, Namor and Dr. Strange make secret plans "behind the scenes" (including the banishing of a certain Marvel mainstay); this leads right into Civil War #1.

The House of M, doesn't that span across like 5 books.

The main title, House of M, was only an eight-issue mini and is collected in one volume. The other books are tie-ins which can, for the most part, be skipped.

Again not a fan of the Cap so I doubt I'd ever get books just about him. Fantastic Four never seemed like the strongest written characters, so I don't know about them. They always seemed to get the short end of a stick as far as character development and writing go. Know nothing about Alias or Marvel Zombies (but with the pictures in my head, Marvel Zombies sounds HELL-Arious). I'm also probably more willing to give the Ultimates and Daredevil a chance over these books.

Fair enough.

As for Marvel Zombies: the back issues are going to be very hard to find. Even though they've been reprinted (four times, in some cases), they keep selling out. And for good reason: it is an excellent read, and not at all what you'd expect from a zombie story. (By the way, this book is a spinoff of Ultimate Fantastic Four: Crossover. If you don't want to buy the trade, the monthlies should be easy enough to acquire. The story ran from UFF #21-23.) If you don't mind waiting, the Marvel Zombies hardcover will be released on 09 August.

They started releasing an Age of Apocalypse collection. How about some info on that? I think I tried to read part of it a while ago, but it was just way too confusing. But I can't remember it was so long ago.

To date Marvel has collected AoA in three huge collections, entitled X-Men: The Complete Age Of Apocalypse. The final volume will become available in September.

As for the story... yikes! Where do I begin?

Legion, Xavier's illegitimate son, goes back in time to kill Magneto. He figures that by doing so, his father's dream of human-mutant love will come to pass. Thing is, he fucks up and kills his dad! By doing so, Legion created a paradox (since Xavier died before he spawned Legion, how could Legion have gone back in time to [accidentally] kill him?), and thus created an alternate timeline where Magneto carried on Xavier's dream. However, Apocalypse decided to start his crusade earlier than in the normal Marvel Universe, and ravaged the Earth. Bishop gets involved (he remembers the other timeline), and makes Magneto's X-Men see that things must be put right!

That's a very condensed plot.

You know, I've been a little too ambitious, I would have no clue where to start now. Got any suggestions?

I'm leaning toward the TPBs that lead to the Civil War, just because that has got me so intrigued. But with X-men being on my mind right now, due to the movie and the fact that I just read Astonishing X-men Hardcover volume 1 like 4 times, I'm also thinking about leaning in that direction.

A couple other questions, with the Avengers Dissassembled books, there are a couple side books that involve the Dissassembled storyline with Cap America and Iron-Man, are these integral to the Civil War story or no?

And another question, have you read the Spider-man: The Evil That Men Do, I bough the first 3 issues and then Kevin Smith LAGGED with the last 3 and I never heard about it untill now with them releasing a hardcover, anyways what's your opinions on it?

No doubt, you've been awesome Master Yoda with the help and the info. I know I've been a pain in the ass...but I promise my next question won't ask you to order them for me.

You know, I've been a little too ambitious, I would have no clue where to start now. Got any suggestions?

I'm leaning toward the TPBs that lead to the Civil War, just because that has got me so intrigued. But with X-men being on my mind right now, due to the movie and the fact that I just read Astonishing X-men Hardcover volume 1 like 4 times, I'm also thinking about leaning in that direction.

Read House of M and New Avengers: Illuminati. Those two will help you understand Civil War that much more... though, reading every issue of New Avengers (19 at the moment) would be the best introduction. The current Executive Director of SHIELD, Maria Hill, seems to have it in for the Avengers, specifically Captain America. If you know that going in, the tension between Cap and Hill will mean so much more in CW#1. As will Cap's reaction.

No doubt, you've been awesome Master Yoda with the help and the info. I know I've been a pain in the ass...but I promise my next question won't ask you to order them for me.

Pain...? Hell no! I love answering questions like these, because it means I'm helping to (re)introduce people to the medium. As for ordering, InStockTrades.com is the best way to go.

Read House of M and New Avengers: Illuminati. Those two will help you understand Civil War that much more... though, reading every issue of New Avengers (19 at the moment) would be the best introduction. The current Executive Director of SHIELD, Maria Hill, seems to have it in for the Avengers, specifically Captain America. If you know that going in, the tension between Cap and Hill will mean so much more in CW#1. As will Cap's reaction.

So you suggest I should read the crash course/essentials to the build to the civil war.

Yeah, the trades are:

New Avengers, vol. 1: Breakout

- Collects New Avengers #1-6

New Avengers, vol. 2: Sentry

- Collects New Avengers #7-10 and New Avengers: Most Wanted Files

New Avengers, vol. 3: Secrets and Lies

- Collects New Avengers #11-15 and Giant Size Spider-Woman #1

Then grab New Avengers #16-19 (that's where they are now), and New Avengers: Illuminati.

Even though trades are convenient, only the first volume has been released as a TPB. Volumes two and three are expensive hardcovers. So see if you can find the monthlies first; they should be less expensive than buying two HCs ($20 each) and one TPB ($15; a total of $55).

- House of M

What about the rest of the stuff you didn't mention, like the Secret War, Wolvie's books, and House of M...

What I'm looking at picking up right now is:

Avengers: Dissassembled - 10

New Avengers Breakout - 10

And One (or two) of the following:

Secret War - 20

House of M - 15

New X-men Vols 1 + 2 - 20

Marvel Knights Spider-man Millars 12 issue run Run - 20

Wolverine Enemy of the State Vol 1 - 15

(Leaning toward New X-men & something)

On the outside of this I've got, which I'm not really considering right now are:

More New Avengers

The second Wolverine book

Bendis' Daredevil run

The Rest of New X-men

Ultimate Spiderman

The Ultimates

And two Batman stories that I'm interested in (Hush, Long Halloween/Dark Victory)

I'm moving away from the Secret War because all they have is the Hardcover. I'm actually moving closer to the Marvel Knights or New X-men books, just that would put me in the 40 buck range and with 50 buck purchase I would get free shipping. If I got one 20 dollar book and a cheaper book (10-15), it would get me the free shipping. It makes me want to lead towards New X-men and House of M, but then I wouldn't be reading the build in the way you suggested, which I quoted above.

The other New Avengers books, I'll wait until the TPB's come out, I'm pretty patient when it comes to this sort of thing.

So Yoda what you think?

A couple other questions:

There are a few Dissassembled books focusing on individual members of the Avengers, my guess is after they've been broken up, are important or no?

Have you read the Kevin Smith Spider-man/Blackcat story: The Evil That Men Do, I have the first 3 but then Smith LAGGED for so long and I fell out of comics that I forgot to pick them up. If you read them, can you tell me if it's any good?

Also one last question, the Daredevil line...who was writing between Smith's run and Bendis' run? Is it worth getting or checking out? In your recs you didn't really mention it? I mean really I love Bendis and it seems like he's practically taken over all of Marvel.

What about the rest of the stuff you didn't mention, like the Secret War, Wolvie's books, and House of M...

Yeah, get them too. They're all great reads. But no need to break the bank; grab 'em as you can afford 'em.

There are a few Dissassembled books focusing on individual members of the Avengers, my guess is after they've been broken up, are important or no?

I didn't read any of those, so I'm of no help. Sorry.

Have you read the Kevin Smith Spider-man/Blackcat story: The Evil That Men Do, I have the first 3 but then Smith LAGGED for so long and I fell out of comics that I forgot to pick them up. If you read them, can you tell me if it's any good?

Just got it today, but haven't read it yet.

Also one last question, the Daredevil line...who was writing between Smith's run and Bendis' run? Is it worth getting or checking out? In your recs you didn't really mention it? I mean really I love Bendis and it seems like he's practically taken over all of Marvel.

Daredevil, vol. 1: Guardian Devil

- Collects Daredevil #1-8

- By Kevin Smith and Joe Quesada

Daredevil, vol. 2: Parts of a Hole

- Collects Daredevil #9-15

- By David Mack, Joe Quesada and others

Daredevil, vol. 3: Wake Up

- Collects Daredevil #16-19

- By Brian Michael Bendis and David Mack

Issues 20-25, entitled Playing to the Camera, have not been collected. The creative team was Bob Gale and Phil Winslade.

Daredevil, vol. 4: Underboss

- Collects Daredevil #26-31

- By Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev

Daredevil, vol. 5: Out

- Collects Daredevil #32-40

- By Brian Michael Bendis, Alex Maleev and others

---- Some sources note that this volume does not include issues 38-40, while others disagree. I myself have not looked at the collected edition, so I can't tell ya.

Daredevil, vol. 6: Lowlife

- Collects Daredevil #41-45

Daredevil, vol. 7: Hardcore

- Collects Daredevil #46-50

Daredevil, vol. 8: Echo: Vision Quest

- Collects Daredevil #51-55

- By David Mack

Daredevil, vol. 9: The King of Hell's Kitchen

- Collects Daredevil #56-60

Daredevil, vol. 10: The Widow

- Collects Daredevil #61-65

Daredevil, vol. 11: Golden Age

- Collects Daredevil #66-70

Daredevil, vol. 12: Decalogue

- Collects Daredevil #71-75

Daredevil, vol. 13: The Murdock Papers

- Collects Daredevil #76-81

It's awesome that I can't get the quotes to work.

Yeah, get them too. They're all great reads. But no need to break the bank; grab 'em as you can afford 'em.

Good stuff, I decided to skip over the Secret War and Wolvie's books for now as it seems that House of M is the best of the bunch.

I didn't read any of those, so I'm of no help. Sorry.

What do you mean you didn't read them, I thought you read EVERYTHING!!! /sarcasm

Just got it today, but haven't read it yet.

Let me know how that ends up being.

Daredevil, vol. 1: Guardian Devil

- Collects Daredevil #1-8

- By Kevin Smith and Joe Quesada

Daredevil, vol. 2: Parts of a Hole

- Collects Daredevil #9-15

- By David Mack, Joe Quesada and others

Daredevil, vol. 3: Wake Up

- Collects Daredevil #16-19

- By Brian Michael Bendis and David Mack

Issues 20-25, entitled Playing to the Camera, have not been collected. The creative team was Bob Gale and Phil Winslade.

Daredevil, vol. 4: Underboss

- Collects Daredevil #26-31

Daredevil, vol. 5: Out

- Collects Daredevil #32-40

- By Brian Michael Bendis, Alex Maleev and others

---- Some sources note that this volume does not include issues 38-40, while others disagree. I myself have not looked at the collected edition, so I can't tell ya.

Daredevil, vol. 6: Lowlife

- Collects Daredevil #41-45

Daredevil, vol. 7: Hardcore

- Collects Daredevil #46-50

Daredevil, vol. 8: Echo: Vision Quest

- Collects Daredevil #51-55

- By David Mack

Daredevil, vol. 9: The King of Hell's Kitchen

- Collects Daredevil #56-60

Daredevil, vol. 10: The Widow

- Collects Daredevil #61-65

Daredevil, vol. 11: Golden Age

- Collects Daredevil #66-70

Daredevil, vol. 12: Decalogue

- Collects Daredevil #71-75

Daredevil, vol. 13: The Murdock Papers

- Collects Daredevil #76-81

I'll be picking up a DD book next time for sure. Bendis writing DD and the praise you've given it has got me very interested.

For now, here's what I'm picking up:

Avengers: Dissassembled

New Avengers Vol 1

House of M

Marvel Knights Spiderman (all 12 of Millar's run)

Surprisingly I didn't pick up any X-men.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let you know that out of the stuff I picked up:

Avengers: Dissassembled

New Avengers Vol 1

House of M

Marvel Knights Spiderman (all 12 of Millar's run)

Here's what I read so far:

Marvel Knights Spiderman - It was pretty sweet and surprisingly it came from Millar who everything else he wrote thus far for Marvel I wasn't a fan of (Ultimate X-men, The Ultimates). Althought I'm still willing to give the Ultimates another shot but his run in Ultimate X-men was just plain to me. His stuff here in Spiderman was pretty fun. Although it can be said that sometimes he does try and do WAY too much stuff with way too many people...and it FEELS like he's trying to do way too much stuff with way too many people. Quite pleased with this. By the way I love the sadistic Norman Osborn. If you've ever read J.M. Demateiss (writer of Kraven's Last Hunt) run near the end of the first volume of Spectacular Spider-Man where he brings Norman back from the dead, it's a very similar characterization.

Avengers: Dissassembled - To tell you the truth, I had never read an Avengers book before this because I'm not a huge fan of the big 3 characters (Thor, Iron Man, and of course the Cap). This didn't really change my mind on any of those characters, although I really started to feel for Stark, but it did change my mind on the book as a whole. Add to the fact that Bendis is writing it and the fact that I absolutely LOVE Bendis' stories in Ultimate Spiderman and his short run on Ultimate X-men, it convinced me to pick up the book. There are some amazing sequences in here and the first two issues (500-501) are really really good. But once all the old Avengers show up, the dialogue really feels interchangeable. I don't know. It didn't fall apart, just took a down-turn in the middle before finishing off really strong. Really great set-up for House of M though.

• 3 weeks later...

House of M - (8.9): incredibly intriguing the whole way. But some things like the new character just made up for this series was just a plot device instead of what could have been a great character. Personally I loved the idea, and plan to get some of the other House of M books (particualarly Spider-man, which has me incredibly interested but dreading it considering part of what makes Spiderman such a good character is the tradgedy that occurs to him.) I think I need to read this one again for sure. There was so much too it which is probably why they had the spin off books. plus the finale is pretty incredible.

New Avengers: Breakout - (7.0): Pretty much a let-down. For some reason it felt like Spidey was out of place in teh whole deal. It was interesting and showed promise, but it just turned out to be solid but unspectacular. I don't know. They already have a perfect set-up for the next few books though as it's obvious what they have to do.

I probably won't make another buy untill I come back in August, hopefully by then the New Avengers' TPB's will be out and teh Civil War: Prelude will be out.

New Avengers: Breakout - (7.0): Pretty much a let-down. For some reason it felt like Spidey was out of place in teh whole deal. It was interesting and showed promise, but it just turned out to be solid but unspectacular. I don't know. They already have a perfect set-up for the next few books though as it's obvious what they have to do.

I think that's sort of the point. None of these guys, except Steve and Tony, have been Avengers. So they're all extremely uncomfortable in their new roles.

• 4 months later...

I hope it's ok if I revive this thread.

Bought a few new books a while ago, in August, I wanted to give my thoughts on them.

New X-Men volume 1 which holds 114-126 of Grant Morrison’s run. I bought this before the Omnibus was announced or before I knew about it and I’m kind of pissed about that. But nonetheless Volume 1 is a BIG book. In the same buy, I also picked up the second New Avengers paperback (titled Sentry), two Daredevil tpbs (titled Underboss and Out) and the first X-factor Visionaries: Peter David TPB. I also plan to give my thoughts on these as I re-read them as they were all freaking awesome. I’m really glad I started to pick up the Daredevil TPBs. There’s nothing like it.

So my thoughts about the first arc (E is for Extinction, 114- 116) is that it takes a bit to get used to. It certainly feels like an updated/modern x-men which I like, and it has all the classical/core elements of x-men (sentinels, the exclusion and hatred of mutants) but it brings in some new elements. A great clash between classical ideas mixed with a bit of new age flavor, I guess you can say. The villainess Cassandra Nova is quite sinister and she can definitely hold her own. Everything about her is revealed slowly and I love that slow-burn stuff. The stuff I have problems with is that sometimes it’s hard to tell what’s going, it feels like scenes are cut and somehow we got C from A but I missed B. I didn’t like how all the characters were drawn in this first arc (by Quietly), they just looked weird or different than what I’m used to. I really liked the initial plot in the first arc with the rogue sentinels and Trask’s nephew manipulated but once they got back to the mansion, it wasn’t AS good.

The 2001 Annual had a great set up but had a bad third act. I was intrigued all the way through until the third act. The book as a whole wasn’t great but I was interested in the idea of the third species and Xorn’s place in all this. But once they hit the last part with Cyclops talking to Xorn and Mr.Sublime and Ao Jun turning on each other…it was meh. Glad the good ideas (Mr. Sublime’s third species, U-men, mutant rights violations) are used as story arcs later and they all originated here.

Issue 117 was not an action issue, it was much more a character development issue. It makes the character of Beast deeper. I was never a huge fan of Beast (although I never REALLY read the comics, but I know I didn’t really like him in the 90’s cartoon much). But here (and in the Joss Book, which I read first) it gives me a whole new appreciation for the character. Also the Beak character, who is not very interesting on his own, provides a nice support for Beast’s development. Cassandra Nova continues to be an evil bitch and I’m interested to see where Morrison goes with her. Although I never really put two and two together until the Imperial arc when the Cassandra Nova plot comes back (basically I didn’t realize that she switched bodies with Prof X in Issue 116) and that it was Nova who shot her own body (to incapacitate Prof X) and that it was Nova that was revealing Prof X and his academy as a school for mutants by mutants. It makes me appreciate the last issue more and the thought that Morrison put into it.

The next 3 issues (118-120) were part of the arc Germ Free Nation, which I really enjoyed. Morrison did a great job with the U-Men and Mr. Sublime in the 2001 Annual and I’m glad to see them here again wreaking havoc. I also marked out for the Jean Grey semi-Phoenix defense of the mansion. I liked the Wolverine/Mosquito girl (I think her name is Angle) parts a lot too. This arc was really tight and everything flowed really well. At this point, I think I’ve gotten used to Morrison. The end of Mr. Sublime’s life was anti-climactic but brought up the interesting question of whether Emma fits as an X-man with her more militant attitude.

Issue 121 was fun and a quick read as it was the silent issue. It didn’t really have that much development. But it was amazing visually. Sometimes it was hard to tell what was happening (especially with Emma and those weird faces). Quietly’s art returns and he does a good job, better than in the first arc, I think. A quick issue, that brings us to who Cassandra Nova really is and why she’s PISSED at Charlie.

The next arc deals with the return of the Shiar under Cassandra Nova’s control. I haven’t finished reading it, but so far I’m having trouble getting into it. I’ve read the first two issues of the arc, but then I stop. Then I read the first two issues again to refresh my memory and then I stop. I don’t know what it is. I really don’t like the first issue with a lot of scenes with the Shiar and Lilandra but I really enjoy the sequences at the X-mansion. I think, I just need to sit down and read it.

There are a few things I’m kind of confused about, what happened to Cyclops and Jean’s relationship before this to cause a huge rift? And isn’t Jean dead? And what is all this second mutation stuff (which I’m guessing caused Beast to look like a feline)?

I plan to finish up the book and give my thoughts on it.

Probably for my next order: Spider-man The Other, New Avengers TPB 3, Madrox: Multiple Choice, and the next 2 Daredevil TPBs since I digged Daredevil more than New X-men.

Can somebody tell if Spider-man: The Other and if Madrox: Multiple choice are any good?

There are a few things I’m kind of confused about, what happened to Cyclops and Jean’s relationship before this to cause a huge rift? And isn’t Jean dead? And what is all this second mutation stuff (which I’m guessing caused Beast to look like a feline)?

Relationship: Not sure.

Jean: She's dead now... again.

Secondary mutations: It was something to spice up otherwise dry / overlooked characters.

Spider-man The Other

Stay far, far away!

Madrox: Multiple Choice

Haven't read it, but if it's anything at all like the current X-Factor comic (which spun out of Madrox, and is also written by Peter David), then it will be awesome!

Spider-man The Other

Stay far, far away!

Madrox: Multiple Choice

Haven't read it, but if it's anything at all like the current X-Factor comic (which spun out of Madrox, and is also written by Peter David), then it will be awesome!

Can you give me a reason behind the HORROR of the other?

Madrox is written by Peter David, which is purely the reason I want to read it, especially after reading his first arc on x-factor in the visionaries book.

As I read these books that involve large collecting (Bendis' Daredevil, Morrison's New X-men) I realize, I got to keep some variety in my reading. As I read the New Avengers, I'm slowly becoming more interested in the characters of Stark and Cap. I think you told me to check out Winter Soldier for some Cap, any other suggestions, and anything on Stark?

Did you read Spider-woman: Origin, how was it?

You have any other book suggestions?

Do you know anything about Exiles, it went on for 13 trades?

Where the hell is Deadpool, is the book any good?

I know I'm an absoltue tire with all these questions, but what the hell is Hulk doing on another planet, does anyone else think this sounds hilarious?

Plus, you think I should EVER buy a DC book? My total knowledge about DC is I don't Superman, I like Batman (Joker Rules) and Flashes are nice especially coming from hot girls. So that's kind of why I never bought many books from DC (outside of Haunted Knight and The Joker book by Alan Moore, greatest Batman story EVAH), guess I'm kind of intimidated since I know nothing about their universe and their 15 Green Laterns and 12 Flashes.

Finally, yes really, Have you read Marvel 1602 and it's sequel Marvel 1602: New World? Good, not good? Okay a couple more, thoughts on Inhumans and Runaways?

It was 12 issues of nothing. Hell, Marvel apologized for it at one of the conventions. They said they lost control / focus of the project, and it went in an unexpected / unwanted direction.

Madrox is written by Peter David, which is purely the reason I want to read it, especially after reading his first arc on x-factor in the visionaries book.

Then grab it and find his recent X-Factor issues, because they spilled directly out of Madrox.

I think you told me to check out Winter Soldier for some Cap, any other suggestions, and anything on Stark?

I've heard good things about Iron Man: Inevitable and Iron Man: Extremis.

Did you read Spider-woman: Origin, how was it?

Nope. Flipped through it, however, and didn't like the art.

Do you know anything about Exiles, it went on for 13 trades?

Where the hell is Deadpool, is the book any good?

Exiles: And it's still going, too.

Deadpool: The old series by Joe Kelly or the new Cable / Deadpool book?

I know I'm an absoltue tire with all these questions, but what the hell is Hulk doing on another planet, does anyone else think this sounds hilarious?

Stark, Richards and a few other guys shot him off into space right before Civil War. Planet Hulk, a 14-issue storyline, has been running since early 2006 and will feed directly into World War Hulk in May of 2007. As silly as the concept sounds, PH is surprisingly good.

Plus, you think I should EVER buy a DC book? My total knowledge about DC is I don't Superman, I like Batman (Joker Rules) and Flashes are nice especially coming from hot girls. So that's kind of why I never bought many books from DC (outside of Haunted Knight and The Joker book by Alan Moore, greatest Batman story EVAH), guess I'm kind of intimidated since I know nothing about their universe and their 15 Green Laterns and 12 Flashes.

Technically speaking there are currently 7200 Green Lanterns... yikes!

I'm not a big DC fan, but I do recommend:

- Batgirl: Year One

- Batman: Arkham Asylum (by Grant Morrison and Dave McKean; there was also Arkham Asylum: Living Hell by Dan Slott, but I've yet to read it)

- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

- Batman: Dark Victory (the sequel to The Long Halloween)

- Batman: Hush (two volumes)

- Batman: The Long Halloween

- Batman: Nine Lives (an out of continuity detective story starring Detective Dick Grayson)

- Batman: Under the Hood (two volumes)

- Batman: Year One

- Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters (mature Green Arrow comic from 1987)

- Hellblazer: Dangerous Habits

- JLA: Earth-2

- Kingdom Come (like Marvels, but set in a possible DC future)

- The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (two volumes, with a third to come)

- Preacher (nine volumes)

- Sandman (10 volumes)

- Starman (10 volumes, collects all but 7 issues of the 80-issue series)

- Superman: Red Son (an out of continuity story written by Mark Millar; basically, What if Kal-L landed in Russia in 1938?)

- Superman for All Seasons

- Teen Titans (currently at five volumes; the fifth one is very heavily tied into Infinite Crisis, so I recommend skipping it; written by Geoff Johns)

- Transmetropolitan (10 volumes; 11 if you count Transmetropolitan, vol. 0, Tales of Human Waste)

- V for Vendetta (not a DC book per se, but they do publish the American version)

- Watchmen (the absolute must-read epic, but it doesn't star a single DC character)

Have you read Marvel 1602 and it's sequel Marvel 1602: New World? Good, not good? Okay a couple more, thoughts on Inhumans and Runaways?

1602: Yes. Really good book.

New World: Have not read it.

Inhumans: I presume you mean the Paul Jenkins / Jae Lee volume. If so, it takes a long time to get to the point, but good nonetheless. Sadly overlooked, this book is.

Runaways: Not a fan. Listen to Earth-2.net: The Show episodes 10, 13 and 19 for my thoughts.

It was 12 issues of nothing. Hell, Marvel apologized for it at one of the conventions. They said they lost control / focus of the project, and it went in an unexpected / unwanted direction.

Ha it can't be a good thing if Marvel is apologizing for it. Wow.

I've heard good things about Iron Man: Inevitable and Iron Man: Extremis.

I'll check these out along with Cap America: Winter Soldier, I guess. Any knowledge of Ultimate Iron-man book that came out. I've borrowed the Ultimates and I've really enjoyed them. It's Amazing stuff actually and I'm surprised I didn't like them on my first read through.

Exiles: And it's still going, too.

Deadpool: The old series by Joe Kelly or the new Cable / Deadpool book?

Jesus the Exiles book is still going. Any word on how good it is? My guess is it must have something if it's still going?

I was talking about the new Cable/Deadpool book, any opinion? I read the end of Deadpool and the beginning of Agent X a while ago.

Stark, Richards and a few other guys shot him off into space right before Civil War. Planet Hulk, a 14-issue storyline, has been running since early 2006 and will feed directly into World War Hulk in May of 2007. As silly as the concept sounds, PH is surprisingly good.

Hmmm...I may have to check out Planet Hulk once it's done. Problem is Hulk along with Fantastic Four have never been my favorite group of people.

Technically speaking there are currently 7200 Green Lanterns... yikes!

That quote alone makes me want to stay as far away from Green Lantern as possible.

I'm not a big DC fan, but I do recommend:

- Batgirl: Year One

- Batman: Arkham Asylum (by Grant Morrison and Dave McKean; there was also Arkham Asylum: Living Hell by Dan Slott, but I've yet to read it)

- Batman: Dark Victory (the sequel to The Long Halloween)

- Batman: Hush (two volumes)

- Batman: Nine Lives (an out of continuity detective story starring Detective Dick Grayson)

- Batman: Under the Hood (two volumes)

- Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters (mature Green Arrow comic from 1987)

- Hellblazer: Dangerous Habits

- JLA: Earth-2

- Kingdom Come (like Marvels, but set in a possible DC future)

- The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (two volumes, with a third to come)

- Preacher (nine volumes)

- Sandman (10 volumes)

- Starman (10 volumes, collects all but 7 issues of the 80-issue series)

- Superman: Red Son (an out of continuity story written by Mark Millar; basically, What if Kal-L landed in Russia in 1938?)

- Superman for All Seasons

- Teen Titans (currently at five volumes; the fifth one is very heavily tied into Infinite Crisis, so I recommend skipping it; written by Geoff Johns)

- Transmetropolitan (10 volumes; 11 if you count Transmetropolitan, vol. 0, Tales of Human Waste)

- V for Vendetta (not a DC book per se, but they do publish the American version)

- Watchmen (the absolute must-read epic, but it doesn't star a single DC character)

I'll probably check out some Batman related stuff and Alan Moore stuff. Yeah my friend read something that he downloaded, I think it was Infinite Crisis, and he told me he couldn't understand a damn thing that was going on. He said the only good part of the book was that Joker was not included in a Villian group because he's too crazy. I

1602: Yes. Really good book.

New World: Have not read it.

Inhumans: I presume you mean the Paul Jenkins / Jae Lee volume. If so, it takes a long time to get to the point, but good nonetheless. Sadly overlooked, this book is.

Runaways: Not a fan. Listen to Earth-2.net: The Show episodes 10, 13 and 19 for my thoughts.

I ordered 1602. Not sure if I'll order the rest of the stuff. I did order up Madrox: Multiple Choice as well. I couldn't pass it up.

Any word on how good Young Avengers is?

Any knowledge of Ultimate Iron-man book that came out. I've borrowed the Ultimates and I've really enjoyed them. It's Amazing stuff actually and I'm surprised I didn't like them on my first read through.

Decent premise, making Tony Stark a mutant (of sorts) I mean. But the book fell flat. So very, very flat. And the cliffhanger ending, leading into the "whenever Orson Scott Card gets around to writing it" sequel was forgettable.

Jesus the Exiles book is still going. Any word on how good it is? My guess is it must have something if it's still going?

Word is that it's an outstanding comic, but I don't like the art. So I've never read it.

I was talking about the new Cable/Deadpool book, any opinion?

The Civil War tie-ins were a waste of time, though there were some humorous spots. Not enough to make me a monthly reader, however.

I'll probably check out some Batman related stuff and Alan Moore stuff. Yeah my friend read something that he downloaded, I think it was Infinite Crisis, and he told me he couldn't understand a damn thing that was going on. He said the only good part of the book was that Joker was not included in a Villian group because he's too crazy. I

Infinite Crisis was a terribly convoluted mess. It was rushed, and it shows. No one understands it. The ramifications have yet to be defined. The ending was weak. The two major deaths sucked, and DC has done very little (if anything) to play upon them. Skip it. Skip it. Skip it.

Of the Batman comics I recommended, try these first:

- Batman: Arkham Asylum

ny word on how good Young Avengers is?

Surprisingly good.

I finished reading the Imperial arc from Grant Morrison's New X-men. To be honest, I'm not sure what I thought of it. I mean the whole thing FELT epic...but I guess I just have some avasiveness to the Shiar characters. They're all such weak characters, I think, and it doesn't help that there are so many of them that I don't know in this arc. I guess that problem is one of preference rather than problems with teh story. Although I have to admit, I did start to get into it, especially when all hope seemed to be lost as I was really interested in how they were going to stop Nova and then Xorn and Cyclops become the saviors.

The arc as a whole, didn't flow very well, for me. It just kind of was stop and go, it did have an increase in tension as Nova got closer and closer which I liked. I don't know the whole arc just threw me off. I liked it...but I didn't love it.

I'm pissed that Nova is gone, she was such an awesome, practically unbeatable villainess. But like Jean said, we're a team and that's how we'll beat her, and that's exactly how it happened.

Hopefully the next arcs are better. Before Morrison takes a downturn.