A question on morality

Chops

morals  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is a question that I would be interested to see what the different members have to say. Basically, let's say you are walking down your block and you pass a garage sell, you decide to look, and lo and behold you see something of a treasure. In a stack of comic books you find one that's worth a fortune, it doesn't matter which comic it is, but just know that it's worth a lot of money. Now do you tell the owner of garage sell, or do you buy it for yourself?

Most of the time I'm a decent person, but with this I would just buy it for myself. I've actually thought about this before, although I always wanted it to be a bunch of old Magic cards on sale and a Black Lotus would be lying there. And I would buy it, because thats why people go to garage sales, hoping to find that one person's trash that will be their treasure.

Another question to think about would be what if in a comic book you buy you find a $100 bill. Would you give it back or keep it?

I would, and have, bought it. From an antique store no less.

I was on vacation and with family who decided to go antiquing (joy). This particular store had a comic for sale, for $10. They probably thought they were milking me for a sucker.

This was the book:

bat110.jpg

Featires the first Silver Age Joker appearance baby!!!

Oh, and hello. This is my first post. I told Mike I'd register and i did.

Des

I was on vacation and with family who decided to go antiquing (joy). This particular store had a comic for sale, for $10. They probably thought they were milking me for a sucker.

This was the book:

bat110.jpg

Des

In your case, you should have laughed in their faces. An antiques store that sells comics should know exactly what it's worth.

Detective Comics #268 F- $150

Nice return on that 10 bucks.

I think that if you are selling something for a certain price then it is fair game for people to buy at that price regardless of its worth. To the person selling it, obviously that is what they think the worth is, but to you it is worth more. On the other hand I would probably give the $100 back though if I found it in a book.

I think that if you are selling something for a certain price then it is fair game for people to buy at that price regardless of its worth. To the person selling it, obviously that is what they think the worth is, but to you it is worth more. On the other hand I would probably give the $100 back though if I found it in a book.

Me too. Of course what's a hundred bucks if the comic is worth more?

This was the book:

bat110.jpg

Des

In your case, you should have laughed in their faces. An antiques store that sells comics should know exactly what it's worth.

It's actually Batman #110 which last had a listing price in the mid 200s if I'm not mistaken.

I would tell the owner that it is worth a lot more. Who knows, he might appreciate the honesty and sell it to you for the listed price.

As for finding $100 in a comic book, I would keep it. If I'm getting a used comic, it is going to be from a store. In that case, there is absolutely no way to know who the $100 belongs to, so there's no way to give it back.

This was the book:

bat110.jpg

Des

It's actually Batman #110 which last had a listing price in the mid 200s if I'm not mistaken.

You scoundrel.

I would tell the owner that it is worth a lot more. Who knows, he might appreciate the honesty and sell it to you for the listed price.

It's good to see some honesty around here. :happy:

This was the book:

bat110.jpg

Des

This website had the wrong title.

• 2 weeks later...

In my mind, I think it would depend on a few factors. If they were, let’s say, having a garage sale due to money issues, or to raise money for something, then I'd be complied to tell them. But if they were just trying to get rid of their old possessions, to move house or something, then I’d buy it without further consideration.

I am a jerk, I would go for it and get the most bang for my buck I could.

I did this like a month ago with a bunch of old school NES stuff, nothing terribly valuable, but the guy wanted to get rid of it. So I paid what he wanted.

Now... the hundred bucks. That depends on when I found it. Still within like 5 minutes of the garage sale, I would return it... or at least go back and buy more stuff from him with it. Regardless, I am making sure that $100 stays at that house. But if its when I get home, I am going to be too lazy. Probably use the money to pay my rent... since I am spending that money on comic books instead.

• 1 month later...

I'm not casting a vote here because my rationale doesn't fit neatly into either possible answer.

A garage sale is a garage sale. The point of them is to get rid of stuff that the owner has absolutely no use for. It's not really held with a view to making the owner rich, except in terms of reclaimed space. It's not about the machinations of a free-market economy wherein the parties are arriving at a mutually beneficial "bargain". It's one in which the owner knows he or she is going to make less money than if they took the items to a proper auction. At various times, I'm sure we've dumped stuff at way below market value, just to get rid of it, and we'll all go to garage sales later in our lives and be on the other end.

So I'd have little problem not only takin' it for a steal, but also haggling the price down even more! "Karma", as Jenny C. puts it, is satisfied because what we lose in a garage sale we run today is gained at a garage sale we attend in the future.

However, I have been tested by this very issue at my local comics shop, and there I've acted quite differently. The owner has a mint copy of Star Wars: The Freedon Nadd Uprising (by issues), and he's selling them at their face value. He has no idea that they're actually among the most valuable issues on the Star Wars secondary market. But I've not bought them from him, nor have I told them of their worth. I'm of the opinion that they're really good stories and the current market price is entirely artificial. When they get published in Star Wars Omnibus format in a couple of years everyone will get to enjoy the story at a reasonable price again. Until then, I think my duty to karma is to leave them in the bins, with the hope that some kid, who couldn't possibly enjoy them at current market prices, stumbles across them quite by accident.

Now, if he had a copy of Action #1 that he was going to sell me for 10¢, I'm sorry, but I would take that and run . . .