Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories

RSS

The latest PS2 chapter of the Grand Theft Auto legacy arrived amidst startlingly slim fanfare this summer in the form of Liberty City Stories, a PSP original ported over to its immediate predecessor. Rockstar didn't make any bones about this release - they knew it had been available for the portable a good six months, that fans might feel burnt by the exclusivity of the release, but that they also might have been turned off by a full-priced release on the PS2 six months after the fact.

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/reviews/games/gta_lcs

As always, Q, awesome work! LCS had me torn: I've been sort of "meh" about the GTA series as of late, but this is only a $20 game. So you can see my predicament.

Your review and better-than-average-but-far-from-perfect score pushed me off the proverbial fence, and into the "I'll hold off until I see it on eBay for $10" yard.

That's probably for the best, especially if you've been unsure of the series as a whole lately. This is more of the same in every sense of the word, and I'm sure it won't be the last time I'll say that about a GTA. Maybe when the next-gen version is released late in '07 we'll have something amazing to play with again, but the luster is wearing off with the old engine. Running around causing chaos is fun from time to time, but how many discs of that does one really need to own?

Thanks for the feedback, man, always appreciated. :)

That's probably for the best, especially if you've been unsure of the series as a whole lately. This is more of the same in every sense of the word, and I'm sure it won't be the last time I'll say that about a GTA. Maybe when the next-gen version is released late in '07 we'll have something amazing to play with again, but the luster is wearing off with the old engine. Running around causing chaos is fun from time to time, but how many discs of that does one really need to own?

Thanks for the feedback, man, always appreciated. :)

That is exactly why I didn't buy Vice City way back in the day. I liked GTA3 a lot, but when my brother bought Vice City, I just looked at it like, "Um...so, what's the difference?" And a damn jet pack over a restricted area does not a better game make (cough*SanAndreas*cough). So, basically, I haven't bought a GTA game since GTA3.

My GTA experience starts from GTA2 which we acquired one day for the PC (I say acquired; we did buy it rather than DL it, although I think it was second hand from somewhere). Cool game, although frustrating at times.

Then, cos we never had a PS2, I missed out on GTA3 & Vice City (save for a few plays of the latter a year ago on a friend's system before they abruptly changed halls). But then a guy put his system in the radio station where I contribute regularly and brought his copy of San Andreas, which I've spent the best part of the last 2 months being addicted to. So I've missed out on a lot of GTA folklore.

If I had the chance to play them, would it be worth going back and renting the previous installments if I wanted to play this?