Episode 41

Kscriv

Just waiting for it to download (so it'll be done in 3 hours I hope), would this con survival guide apply to most nerd conventions, I will be attending my first full weekend anime convention in 4 days and was wiondering how much of it should/would carry over

Being a perennial anime convention-goer, I had to give some feedback on this one. I'll follow the same order you two did in the show:

1.) Comfortable shoes: I highly recommend skate-style shoes. These are made to be comfortable and even brand new and not broken-in, they are still very good shoes to wear; and they are cheap. Never wear sandals unless they are part of a costume. You will leave with bloody feet from all of the times you will stub your toes and will have your heels stepped on.

2.) Clothing: This one is kind of broad. If you are going in the warm months, definitely wear light clothing. Do not wear clothes that are too small for you. Ever. In the winter months, wear a light hoodie and not a huge jacket because you do not want to carry that thing around all day. Yes, I realize it might be ridiculously cold outside in places like Chicago, but you won't be outside but for like 1 minute after parking or whatever.

3.) Costumes: You will die from heat exhaustion if you don't drink water CONSTANTLY.

4.) $$$: Agreed here, too, Bring lots of $$$, but budget your money wisely because if you see something you like, and you buy it immediately, how much money are you left with for the rest of the convention? What if you see something better later on? Also about the ATMs, most of the time they will run out of money and you're fucked either way, no matter if you are willing to pay the fee or not.

5.) Backpacks: Eeeehhhhhhhhh, I don't know about this. Many times, the convention staff (read: gestapo) are very strict on backpacks and will make you take them off or put them away somewhere entirely. Take these at your own risk.

6.) Deodorant: A-FUCKING-MEN. My God, every time I go to a room with a lot of people in it, it stinks to high heaven. I guarantee over half the people there aren't wearing deodorant. Don't group yourself with these smelly fuckers and wear deodorant. I said wear deodorant. WEAR. DEODORANT. (Deodorant, ftw.)

7.) Events: Be early and be prepared to wait a long fucking time. If you get there even five minutes late, you might not get into the room, or you might not be able to get in line for a certain event/signing.

8.) Haggling: Play hard-to-get. Be as noncommittal as an old woman in a grocery store browsing the produce section. You want to mentally torture the vendors as much as possible because they are much more willing to bargain with you. Most people will take credit/debit cards and 99.9% will take cash, but I rarely see people take checks. Keep that in mind. Haggling generally works the best on the last day of a multi-day convention. These people WANT to get rid of their shit. They do not want to haul their stuff back to their stores if they can avoid it. So, if you can stand taking the risk, wait until the final day and then you can really get stuff for a lot less than you would on the opening day or even by haggling on early days.

9.) Panels: Totally agree on the douchebaggery. In addition to what you said, Mike, you should ask intelligent, uncommon questions if you are given the opportunity to ask a question of a special guest. Don't ask things like, "Who is your favorite writer/artist/whathaveyou?" Ask things that you don't think they have been asked before. Enunciate, project, etc. As for the approaching a guest after a signing, if I were a creator/artist/whatever, I would simply say something like, "Look, I appreciate that you enjoy my work, but I really have to be somewhere else in like 30 seconds. It's nothing personal, and I'm really sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to you."

10.) Waiting in lines: Bring a DS or PSP if you have one. Chances are, dozens of people around the convention also have one, so you can interact with people over the WIFI network and entertain yourself for the long ass time you'll be waiting. I personally recommend a DS, if nothing else than because of the chatroom function. I've had some hilarious chats with other anime freaks via the DS. And of course, you can play MarioKart or whatever with strangers without having to ask, "Do you want to play a game?" This is good if you are shy.

11.) Stuff to get autographed: Another AMEN. If I want a DVD case autographed, I bring JUST THE CASE and not the DVD's. It helps save your back from carrying unnecessary weight and it's easier for the autographer to sign it. Be considerate of the others in line and the guests who give themselves tendonitis by signing hundreds of things.

12.) Respect: Yes, please leave the guests alone if they are trying to enjoy some rare moments of peace and quiet--like when they are eating lunch. It's just common courtesy. As for fellow fans, agreed on all points. Oh, and wear deodorant. That's a great way to show respect for everyone.

13.) Pictures: Always ask a cosplayer or group of cosplayers before you take a picture of them. Most of the time, they won't mind at all if you do. They enjoy the attention. Why else would they be dressing up like a catgirl? But if you blindside them with a flash or take a picture without asking them, sometimes they will get very miffed with you. When I did my AWA column, I asked every single cosplayer before I took their picture. It's a privacy issue.

14.) Friends: Meh. They aren't necessary, but they can provide a lot of camaraderie and personal entertainment. Thing is, if you are like me, you sometimes like to just do something on the spur of the moment and when you focus on something (like in the Dealer's Room), you want to spend a lot of time looking around. Other people being with you can slow you down if you are an impatient type like me. This is purely a personal choice.

15.) Talk to people: Yes. Wait for a chance to jump in on a conversation, assuming you won't overtly intrude on them or whatever. For example, if they are talking about an obscure character you like, say "You like them, too?" You know, just simple shit like that.

16.) Pacing yourself: Yep. And I'll add that you should get a schedule of events and choose the ones you REALLY want to go to. That way, you can get yourself into a scheduling rhythm and you won't tire out running around trying to find an open panel or whatever else. I would also add that if you don't have a room at the hotel in the convention center, do not drink alcohol in excess. You will get tired and possibly really sick all of the heat from everyone around there.

Great stuff and I think I agreed with 99% of what you suggested.

5.) Backpacks: Eeeehhhhhhhhh, I don't know about this. Many times, the convention staff (read: gestapo) are very strict on backpacks and will make you take them off or put them away somewhere entirely. Take these at your own risk.

Maybe it's different for anime / manga cons, but I've never attended a comic book convention where bags / backpacks were an issue. At E3, however, they do inspect your bags.

Listening to the show now and wanted to commend you on the note on the SUV thing.

Well done, sir!!!

I was doing promo for the Sounds of the Underground tour last summer and handing out sampler CDs and stickers for bands that were playing the show or at least in the metal genre. Each bag contained a CD and about 30-40 stickers)

There was a guy in a brand new Lincoln Navigator who parked beside me when I was unloading my stuff and totally thrashed my door. I fucking hate that! If you can't get out of your car without causing $100 damage to a car that was already there (and parked inside the lines) then don't fucking park there!

I did what I usually do and sat in my car seat and booted my door open into theirs and caused a sizeable mark in his door. Feeling vindicated I moved my car (because free parking for promo people was around the corner) a little bit upset that I wouldn't get to see his reaction.

Apparently, there was also damage done to the surrounding cars who parked there after I did (it was a day-long festival and had in/out privileges).

We handed out all of our stickers/CDs after the show (800 baggies of them!!!) and on our walk back to the car I noticed that the guy's truck was entirely covered with stickers. I'm talking over the door handles and windshield and everything. Call me bitter and evil but I have rarely felt happier.

Anyway, I don't get to go to Cons due to where I live but great show nonetheless.

Des