Missy

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

That was comedically bad. I mean, I have no words.

Even if I don't compare it to the comic, it's just not a good first episode. The directing was questionable at best, the action shoddy, the accents laughable, and the audio shifts (RE: ADR) were distracting.

I've not read enough Preacher to know for myself but there was a post on FB that talked about Jesse's desire at the end of the episode to be a better servant for God goes against everything he stood for in the original comic. Would you folks say that's accurate?

I've not read enough Preacher to know for myself but there was a post on FB that talked about Jesse's desire at the end of the episode to be a better servant for God goes against everything he stood for in the original comic. Would you folks say that's accurate?

Jesse's goal in the comic was essentially to find God and kick His ass, so pretty much.

It is accurate, however:

In the comic, when Genesis bonds with Jesse, his church explodes. The resulting blast kills everyone inside, save Jesse. His entire flock is dead. From there, once Tulip and Cassidy come upon the wreckage of the church, Jesse learns a massive secret: when Genesis was born, God was so fearful of its powers, He fled His throne. With that knowledge, Jesse aims to find God and force Him to get back to work.

As it stands in the show, not only have the events of the Genesis-bonding been changed, but Jesse has yet to learn of God's self-exile. Once he does (and if that's the direction the show goes), I expect he'll leave his post in Annville to find God.

Yeah, this was pretty bad.  The direction was incredibly over done, and although I enjoyed the fact that they seemed to be having fun with the style, it really just came across as a bad "Fargo on FX" impersonation.  It was also horribly over-edited and I had trouble following it.  I didn't make it through the first episode.

I thought it was pretty great, actually. Divorced from the comic, as it has to be, it stands on its own. As an adaptation, it's terrible. They nailed Tulip and Cassidy and Cooper cuts a mean silhouette.

The tone was fun, and the direction was great. Beautiful-looking show too.

The two angel guys LOOK like Steve Dillon creations, which is cool. I'll be around for a few more to see where it goes. I see his mission coming on at the end of the season.

• 2 weeks later...

I caught the pilot as it is free on AMC's YouTube channel currently. It's certainly not the comic, that's for damn sure. The whole time Jesse made his big speech at the end, I was literally thinking how comic Jesse would call this guy an asshole and walk out. 

That's not to say I didn't enjoy said pilot, the woman playing Tulip is fantastic, even though I'm not sure of the direction they're taking her. Cassidy's personality and violence were spot on, but his voice and look are gonna take some getting used to. Especially his Lucky Charms Leprechaun voice, much too high and smooth for a guy based on Shane MacGowan. And as Mike pointed out on Twitter, you can see his eyes... Fuck That.

I think, overall, they nailed Jesse. There were some moments (him talking to the kid at the beginning, meeting with the kid's mother, the bar fight at the end), where I could see the character clearly. Other stuff, like he meets Arseface, seemed a little muddy. 

All things considered, I liked, didn't love, this. I'll stick around for a while. 

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe when the season is over, I'll give it another shot, but I'm done after three episodes. Never mind my love of the comic; I can separate the two. However, I think the show is poorly made. Triggers were pulled too soon in some regards, other aspects are way over-the-top, and the tone is just off.

• 9 months later...