Everything Marvel

JackFetch

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Disney paid lots of money for them, and Paramount likes money. That's the extent of it.

Or Paramount is still in bad financial shape like they were last year and need the money.

There was speculation last year that Paramount was having cash-flow issues after they moved Shutter Island and The Lovely Bones from 2009 to 2010 and more or less stopped sending out review copies of their high-profile DVDs and Blu Rays. The word is that the DVD crunch had hurt them more than other studios, and they were waiting on the income for the DVD/Blu Ray sales of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra to replenish the coffers for 2010. The strategy seemed to work, as the relatively empty end-of-2009 schedule allowed Paramount to market the cult horror film Paranormal Activity into a $107 million sensation. Furthermore, they pulled off a solid year-end gross ($83 million) for the multiple-Oscar nominee Up in the Air, turned Shutter Island into a blockbuster ($128 million), and changed their marketing course for The Lovely Bones ($44 million), allowing them to avoid a complete disaster on the costly, but generally unsatisfying thriller.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/scott-mendelson/why-did-paramount-sell-of_b_769180.html

I think they looked at how much they will have to spend to market all those Marvel movies and decided to take the money instead.

Now the rumblings are over just how bad Thor is to cause this move.

Captain America, surely? Kenneth Branagh does not make terrible movies (to date).

Yeah, it'll be a financial move. Disney wants more control of their investment in Marvel, Paramount want to avoid going the way of MGM.

• 3 weeks later...
Disney president and chief executive offer Bob Iger told The Wall Street Journal that three Marvel properties are being adapted for the small screen:

WSJ: In the past year-plus you've made two splashy acquisitions: Marvel and Playdom. How are the integrations of those two companies progressing?

Mr. Iger: [With Marvel] we've taken back distribution, or bought back distribution from [Viacom Inc.'s] Paramount, for some critical franchises. Notably, "Iron Man 3" will be distributed by us, and "Avengers." We're developing three live-action series for ABC and ABC Family. You can buy Marvel products at Disney stores. And we're working on Marvel games.

As was previously reported, a new live-action series based on The Incredible Hulk is in development for ABC while a "Cloak and Dagger" series is said to be headed for ABC Family. What do you think the third series should be?

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/110167-disney-planning-one-more-marvel-series

Well, I would say Dazzler but I can't remember who has the rights. I want to say Marvel took it back recently. A rock star super hero is perfect for ABC Family.

The $60-million Broadway production has been under investigation by New York State officials for its daredevil flying stunts.

Broadways Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark will delay its opening by two weeks in light of a continuing investigation by the New York State Department of Labor into its flying safety, a producer announced Thursday.

The costly $60 million production was originally slated to begin previews on Nov. 14 and open on Dec. 21, but will now begin previews on Nov. 28 and officially premiere on Jan. 11, 2011, producer Michael Cohl told Entertainment Weekly.

"Shows like ours, that embrace the challenge of opening on Broadway without an out-of-town tryout, often need to adjust their schedules along the way," Cohl explained.

Safety officials were unable to complete their first inspection earlier this week because the production wasn't prepared to shows off every single one of its complicated stunts. The Department of Labor won't sign off on the show without testing the safety of the special effects, so it set up a second visit.

One of the actors broke both his wrists two weeks ago when he was catapulted across the stage like a slingshot during rehearsals.

The show is directed by Tony winner Julie Taylor, and will feature songs by U2's Bono and The Edge.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/spider-man-delays-opening-2011-36196?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thr%2Ffilm+%28The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+Movies%29

"Cloak and Dagger" on ABC Family? :huh:

So the network who specializes in Disney TV movies and that show that talks about teenage motherhood and just had Bristol Palin on - will feature a superhero drama (I assume) about a mixed race couple who are kidnapped, drugged until overdose and mutated - though not physically, I guess - then start a war on the dark corners of the drug trade?

On ABC Family?

• 3 weeks later...

The trainwreck is finally happening:

All $65 million of the new Broadway musical “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark” took flight on Sunday night at its first preview performance, but not without bumps. The show stopped five times, mostly to fix technical problems, and Act I ended prematurely, with Spider-Man stuck dangling 10 feet above audience members, while Act II was marred by a nasty catcall during one of the midperformance pauses.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/29/theater/29spiderman.html?_r=2&hp

• 2 weeks later...

Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige during a live chat recently:

• Iron Man will have a new set of armor for his appearance in The Avengers.

Feige writes: "Joss would kill me if I gave anything away, but I will say that the evolution you saw his armor take in IM2 will continue in The Avengers."

• There will be a reference to Thor's original alter-ego in the upcoming film.

Feige writes: "[P]eople looking for a reference to Don Blake in the Thor film will find one."

• With the rights to The Punisher regained, Marvel Studios is working on figuring out the property.

Feige writes: "Punisher's back in house, and various plans are in the works."

• Plans are still underway for an Iron Fist film. A script is currently in development.

Feige writes: "[A] very talented writer is currently working on a draft."

• Feige would love to see more female characters on the big screen and opened up the floor to suggestions. Miss Marvel was the most popular reply, but Feige named one of his own favorites.

Feige writes: "I love Jessica Jones. Good choice!"

• Asking chat members for their advice on who should play Luke Cage, Feige was met with a several suggestions for Isaiah Mustafa, best known for acting in the Old Spice commercials.

Feige writes: "Love the old spice guy!"

• Marvel has no current plans to produce short films with any characters, though they are open to exploring the idea.

Feige writes: "The shorts rumor was just a rumor, but we do like the idea."

• The Iron Fist script is based, in part on the Brian Michael Bendis / Matt Fraction series.

Feige writes: "[T]he movie is definitely inspired by that great run."

• Ant-Man is still in development with Edgar Wright attached to the screenplay.

Feige writes: "Edgar was here a few days ago. He's already working on the next draft."

• Moon Knight is one character for which a potential adaptation has been discussed at length.

Feige writes: "Moonknight's a challenging, but extremely interesting character. We've been discussing various versions of it for years."

• If you want to see the Thor trailer on the big screen, look for it in theaters beginning on December 17th.

Feige writes: "It should be playing in front of Tron on may screens, but maybe not all of them."

• Black Panther is being worked on, but details are few.

Feige writes: "Things are in the works."

ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=72331#ixzz17olv6FrA

• 2 weeks later...