JackFetch

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

So, reviewers broke the embargo on the show that's been in previews since late November, and finally posted their reviews. People are not happy.

Nine most scathing reviews of the show.

Spokesman Rick Miramontez responds.

And now, Rick Miramontez's response:

LEAVE SPIDER MAN TURN OFF THE DARK ALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE! HOW DARE YOU MAKE FUN OF US AFTER ALL WE WENT THROUUUUUUGH!

• 2 weeks later...
There’s another Spider-Man musical opening this year, and it doesn’t cost $65 million.

Comedian and composer Justin Moran is taking things into his own hands, unveiling his show, The Spidey Project: With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility, on March 14 -- one day before Julie Taymor’s expensive Broadway musical Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark officially opens, reports the New York Times.

“Our goal isn’t to tear down Julie Taymor or parody her production,” Moran, who won an award at last year’s Fringe Festival for Pope! The Musical, told the Times. “Our goal is to do what she should have done in the first place, and that’s just make a really good musical.”

Moran said the inspiration for The Spidey Project, which will be performed at the Peoples Improv Theater in Manhattan and had a budget of zero dollars, came from negative reviews he read of Taymor’s Turn Off the Dark, set to officially open March 15. He believed, after following the history of the production, that he could produce a better musical.

“I was like, of course it’s going to fail. They’re doing it all wrong. They’re spending all this money on all the wrong things,” he said.

The Spidey Project, Moran says, will follow the story introduced in the comics: “It’s Peter Parker, in high school at Forest Hills when he gets bitten by the spider and all that good stuff.” Though he wasn’t given permission from Marvel to pursue The Spidey Project, Moran said “there’s enough leeway in the parody or spoof angle” to proceed.

For now, only the March 14 performance is expected to take place.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/spider-man-musical-open-day-160154?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thr%2Ffilm+%28The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+Movies%29

How long before he gets a cease and desist letter?

Part of me wants them to give up and call it a day, part of me wants them to keep trying forever. If they give up that draws a line under it and we can forever reference the exact figure lost, but if they carry on it'll be like watching the world's most expensive slow motion car crash ever.

Part of me wants them to give up and call it a day, part of me wants them to keep trying forever. If they give up that draws a line under it and we can forever reference the exact figure lost, but if they carry on it'll be like watching the world's most expensive slow motion car crash ever.

That's exactly why part of me will be sad when Duke Nukem Forever finally comes out. Spidey is my new Duke.

That's exactly why part of me will be sad when Duke Nukem Forever finally comes out. Spidey is my new Duke.

It's like the people who took over the Duke Nukem Forever didn't even understand the title.

• 2 weeks later...
Producers of "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark" are planning to temporarily shut down the troubled musical for a major overhaul, but the show will go on without star director Julie Taymor, the Daily News has learned.

Taymor, 58, has walked away from the show she co-wrote and worked relentlessly to bring to Broadway, a source close to the production said Tuesday night.

"Taymor is out. She's left the building," the source told The News.

Producers of the beleaguered $65 million play plan to shut down preview performances for two to three weeks to retool and hold new rehearsals, multiple sources told The News.

"I will say about these producers, they will do whatever it takes. They want a great show," a member of the production staff said Tuesday night. "When others would have given up, they will not."

Plans being worked out Tuesday also call for the show's official opening night at the Foxwoods Theatre, scheduled for Tuesday, to be postponed for three months, according to the sources.

The opening night for the musical, which puts on its 100th preview on Wednesday night, has already been delayed five times.

The show, featuring death-defying aerial stunts, has been plagued by injuries to cast members and constant tweaks to the book.

Rick Miramontez, spokesman for the show, refused to comment on the latest startling development. He insisted, "The opening night is still scheduled for March 15."

But sources said an announcement on the opening night pushback could come as early as Wednesday.

It was unclear Tuesday night if Taymor, a Tony Award-winning Broadway legend, quit or was fired.

Her departure also left Broadway insiders speculating whether lead actor Reeve Carney will stay with the show. Carney, 27, was handpicked by Taymor for the marquee role. Asked if he was staying with the show, Carney said, "Oh yeah.

"All the changes, so far, have been good for the show," Carney told The News. "We're just trying to make it the best it can be."

A lengthy shutdown would cost the show $1.3 million a week and cause it to miss out on any Tony Award nominations.

But it would enable the show, featuring the music of U2's Bono and The Edge, to officially open around June and seize on the summer tourist season, insiders said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/2011/03/09/2011-03-09_hole_in_spidey_web_boss_taymor_out_the_door__opening_off_for_3_months.html#ixzz1G8E3AtL0